Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-07-2021, 06:31 PM   #85

Good writeup Brian. Might I add the possibility of jackknifing your rig without toad brakes.

On the way to a campground, I was following a nice looking coach towing a Honda CRV down a hill that had sharp S curves. It was a moisty misty evening, and suddenly a deer jumped out in front of him. He hit his brakes and I saw the tailend of the coach slide toward the roadside drop off being pushed by the toad. The rear tires dropped into the low roadside shoulder and he jerked the steering wheel over trying to get the wheels out of the dropoff. I just knew he would jackknife.

Down at the campground check in office he was still shaking and asking me "did you see that?" He said "the first thing I am going to do when I get home is put brakes on that CRV. It just about pushed me over the side of that hill"
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2021, 08:16 PM   #86
NXR

Quote:
Might I add the possibility of jackknifing your rig without toad brakes.
When people used to ask me what my very technical operational cybersecurity job really meant I did, I always responded with a simple statement that everyone understood:

To learn from the mistakes of others before they happen to us.

Ray
Old 01-07-2021, 09:55 PM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I have a Brake Buddy system that I use when I pull my Ranger with bikes in the back, but I don't use it when I pull my kit car.

Am I a bad person for not using the Brake Buddy on my 1800 pound kit car? Our rig is normally around 23-24,000 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1952.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	313813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3635.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	544.8 KB
ID:	313814  

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:48 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I have a Brake Buddy system that I use when I pull my Ranger with bikes in the back, but I don't use it when I pull my kit car.

Am I a bad person for not using the Brake Buddy on my 1800 pound kit car? Our rig is normally around 23-24,000 pounds.
I dont have toad brakes on my 2800# chevy tracker that i pull with my 20k+ lb dp either.
I guess to some we are both bad people or worse.
The way i think of other people's opinions of how i legally drive my rv/toad is just that. Opinions. I have thick skin.
I'll leave it at that.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:10 PM   #89

RVI 3 system

I tried a tow dolly first and just one time I went with the RVI 3 it was the least intrusive on both the RV and the toad. Added the battery charging system and the roadmaster battery disconnect system and it is easy and fast connecting.
iambruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:03 AM   #90

Grand Design Owners Club
I appreciate what everyone likes but a little more technical would help.
It looks like some that hook up permanently may be more responsive than ďinertiaĒ.
My class A is gas, but many have an air compressor.
Some are hard wired, some are transceiver. Some get two signals from RV.
I donít know. Iíd like to know that any tap on brake in RV will brake jeep, but how about if Iím engine braking in my gas RV would the portable ones brake appropriately?
Which are most trouble free?

More info please. Setting tow bar up now.
Must decide on brake v
CruzinAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:54 PM   #91

Winnebago Owners Club
Cruzin - I can only speak for my own personal experience on supplemental braking systems. About 10 years ago when I was making the decision on what to get, I did a great deal of research. At that time, every active braking system had several reviews in the RV Forum threads detailing a significant failure. Some had brakes lock up, others lost air, several ran down a battery, people had damaged tires due to improper operation. However, I did not find any negative reviews on the NSA ReadyBrute Elite. There are no electrical components in the braking process. Rather, as the RV slows down, the tow car's momentum pushes it the direction of the RV, that push activates a lever which applies the brakes in the tow vehicle. If there is a break-away, a wire is pulled that locks the tow car's brakes. It is an incredibly simple system.

I've used that towing system now for 10 years. In that time we've traveled the flat lands of the central US, the mountains out west with steep incline/declines and twisty roads, the horrible stop-and-go-and-stop traffic of Chicago and Pittsburgh and other cities out east. The Ready Brute Elite tow bar and inertial braking system have worked reliably all that time. The only maintenance I've done is to keep it clean.

I also got NSA's Protect-a-Tow which is a very heavy fabric screen that is placed between the back of the RV bumper area, runs underneath the towbar, and hooks onto the bumper of the tow vehicle. This is amazing in that it has deflected myriads of rocks of all sizes so that none have hit the car. Dust and dirt will come through so the car needs a bath after driving on a mountain road, but no dents or dings from rocks.

Others may not like inertial systems but in my personal experience I've been happy. Take all this for what it is - one persons experience!

Good luck with your decision!

Alfred
Old 06-15-2021, 05:58 AM   #92

Grand Design Owners Club
I’ve found a jeep bumper that will take direct connection from the D-rings to a Blue Ox Ascent.
I’m checking with a shop today.
It would seem the RVi3 will be my choice for braking but, I wanted to find the wiring that goes from RV plug to Toad trailer plug and see if I could use that for the wiring or if it was specific to a certain brand.

Any comments on that wiring which eliminates other wiring? It may not work with RVi3, but how well does it work?
CruzinAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:45 AM   #93

Like Alfred above said, you can't beat the simplicity and ease of use of the NSA Ready Brute tow bar with incorporated surge brake. There is no brake system to connect, it is incorporated into the tow bar. Because there is no electricity required it is dead simple and reliable.

It works on Newton's Laws of Motion not on Edison's laws of electricity.

Edison's Law of Electricity: If electricity is required, it will break.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #94

The RVI3 does not require any wiring other than that needed to supply the power and the breakaway switch (which is supplied with the unit) It plugs into a 12 volt suppled by the toad the breakaway switch permanently mounts on the front of the toad and a supplied connection is then placed into the drivers side of the toad, this plugs into the braking unit when it is in place and and use, other than that it is stowed out of the way. The braking system does not use any wiring from the coach other than a wireless signal from the tablet placed in the motor home. It literally takes less than two minutes to connect after the initial install. I have used mine for over a year now and it has saved us on several occasions. It also does not need a Brake Controller to be mounted in the motor home. It comes with an android tablet that lets you monitor the brakes on the toad and also apply the brakes manually from the coach. This is done wirelessly by wifi that is all contained in the breaking unit. That same tablet will also let you monitor tires (with tire monitors attached to each tire both on the coach and the toad, these are a separate purchase) and a great safety item. you don't want to drag a toad a 100 miles with a flat and not know it. You can also use the seventh pin in the trailer light cable and power a battery charger (available through RVI) to keep the battery up on the toad this also is monitored by the tablet. Nothing on a motor home is cheap but not near as expensive as totaling out your toad and or your motor home. Also one other thing if you lose connectivity between the RVI Brake system and the android tablet the braking system will continue to work independently from the tablet. Remember to research a lot and travel safe. Good luck
iambruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:24 AM   #95

I have the BO Patriot 3, I had my installer mount a 12V power socket under my dash, it gets 12V from the RV’s 7pin tow connector. I disconnect my toads battery and plug the Braking system in to the 12V socket..

I have a CRV, but if I had a Jeep I would go with the ready brute mechanism. It’s simpler.
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:49 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
I have the BO Patriot 3, I had my installer mount a 12V power socket under my dash, it gets 12V from the RVís 7pin tow connector. I disconnect my toads battery and plug the Braking system in to the 12V socket..

In the event the toad breaks free from the MH, how does the Patriot 3 get any 12V in order for it to apply the brakes ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:50 AM   #97
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
In the event the toad breaks free from the MH, how does the Patriot 3 get any 12V in order for it to apply the brakes ?
Good question. I looked up the manual and it says it will on page 11. Bold face is in the original document. It must have a capacitor to store a charge or perhaps a small battery just for that condition:

CHECK POWER CONNECTION
This message will appear when the brake reads an input voltage below 10V. This means that the brake has detected that the towed carís battery is very low (OR the brake is no longer receiving power from the car receptacle) The brake will go into an idle state and not work for normal braking. It will work in the event of a breakaway!

Ray
Old 06-17-2021, 06:24 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Yes, it has what they call an internal Super capacitor lifetime battery
that gets charged via the 12V. I believe It also can be firmware updated via USB interface.
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, toad, toads