Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #99

I’m not familiar with that system but (here comes the But Monkey) if there is a break away how does the unit react if it gets it’s power from the RV? I thought about that when I installed my system, and I installed a battery disconnect and installed a 12 volt plug directly to the battery along with a battery charge system that gets it power from the RV. My thought was if there’s a disconnect the braking system would still have power to react. That could be just specific to my RVI 3 system
iambruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 09:08 AM   #100

Just food for thought, I have a inherent fear of anything that is attached to the Brake peddle, it seams to me that anything that is permanently attached to it could malfunction or get in the way causing interference when operating the toad in normal use
iambruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #101
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambruiser View Post
Just food for thought, I have a inherent fear of anything that is attached to the Brake peddle, it seams to me that anything that is permanently attached to it could malfunction or get in the way causing interference when operating the toad in normal use

Me too….that’s why I went with a portable like RVI which removes for normal driving….
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:12 AM   #102

I just had the M&G system installed on my 15 Bounder 35K,, and 2019 Jeep Cherokee. I am really pleased with how it works. Hook up the airline and the emergency stop cable an you are good to go. I had my system installed in Athens TX. I had picked up the RVI3 system used from a friend but decided against going that route.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:09 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambruiser View Post
Well, I have a NSA Ready Brute tow bar with integrated surge brake system that does have a cable permanently attached to the brake pedal. Having owned my Honda CR-V configured with the Ready Brute brake system for over 4 years I've never given the attachment to the brake cable any thought. Don't know why anyone would.
And you guys that worry about having electric to the emergency brake away on your system, not a problem with the Ready Brute, because it's a mechanical connection. Also no brake box to buy install and stow each time you tow. Dead simple no electricity needed and it just works.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:22 AM   #104

Forest River Owners Club
We just returned from our first trip pulling our 2010 Honda Element, using NSA Ready Brute / Ready Brake.

I did the installation myself - took some time, but not difficult. I did opt for the RV dash indicator light triggered by the Element's brake switch.

I am not yet satisfied with the setup. During testing things seemed to work okay, but I felt the cable setup in the toad seemed to hang up sometimes and not want to pull smoothly. I had several conversations with NSA, and Jeff there was very helpful. As I am new to this equipment and I didn't have enough data I decided to proceed with the trip & toad.

I found that application of toad brakes as indicated by the dash light was intermittent at best. Fortunately, this trip was over largely flat terrain and was not a long drive (160 miles each way). However, I was not happy that the MH ended up doing most of the braking work. Had we been traveling in the mountains I would have had my wife drive the toad separately.

I am going to be pulling the cable out of the housing to inspect for defects. I don't believe any of the bends in my routing would have been sufficient to create the apparent friction problem, and the cable entry & exit angles are straight & clean.

I wish I knew someone nearby with an NSA system - I'd like to pull on their cable by hand to see if it is anything like mine...

All this to say that I still think the NSA system is a great idea, and am hopeful I can get whatever the issue is sorted out. But vacation time is precious and stress is not welcome so I'll not hesitate to go another direction if necessary.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:43 AM   #105

NSA has a list of approved installers. Might be worth the trip.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:21 PM   #106

Hey all
I have a Blue ox towbar on my Nissan Frontier, class c ford gasser. Using the Patriot 2 that sits in the wheel well of the toad. Ive not had any trouble in the 5 years of using this setup.
I don’t mind the few minutes it takes to hookup, read this thread thru, seems these have fallen out of favour. Anyone else using this type of brake system want to weigh in with problems you may or may not have had?
Manicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:15 AM   #107

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
EvenBrake

So does anyone like or have had good luck the the EvenBrake system? An old one came with my previously owned DP which was bad. The factory gave me a 50% off trade in discount on a brand new one. Have had it for over a year but have not used it yet. Legally not required for my toad in Texas. I know I should be installing it if for no other reason than having breakaway braking.

Doug,
Amarillo, TX
W5WTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicman View Post
Hey all
I have a Blue ox towbar on my Nissan Frontier, class c ford gasser. Using the Patriot 2 that sits in the wheel well of the toad. Ive not had any trouble in the 5 years of using this setup.
I don’t mind the few minutes it takes to hookup, read this thread thru, seems these have fallen out of favour. Anyone else using this type of brake system want to weigh in with problems you may or may not have had?
I have similar setup with Pat3 breaking system. In 2 years and 22K miles, including a recent 44 day trip out west, I’ve had ZERO Issues with my setup. I believe, most of the breaking issues are due to improper setup snd calibration. You first need to pump your break pedal 3-4 times with engine off to release the cars/toads break booster pressure before calibration is done. Otherwise the travel of the breaking system will be far to much causing excessive breaking and wear. Also I would call BO and tell them the toad vehicle you are using, they will recommend the best force settings.

My towbar, so far has preform flawlessly. But I intend to buy a 2nd one to swap out when service is needed.

Bottom line you want your auxiliary breaking system to slow down your toad, not slamming on its breaks. You just need to take the stress off your RV’s breaking system enough to not cause excessive wear on your RV breaks.
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, toad, toads