Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #43

Toe brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwind 04 View Post
I need a new braking system for my toad. I had the Even Brake for years but was never happy with the performance of that system. But alas it died just as we purchased our first DP a Journey 42e with Tag. So I would like to hear others experience with these braking systems Before I sink another $1500 to $2000 into another poor performer!

Thank you!
I have a Brakebuddy that I have had for probably 20 years. I had to return it to the factory once for repairs. I think the bill was around $200. It has served me well.
16wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Air Force One

I purchased and installed an Air Force One three years ago and it works well. The installation took parts of four days. I used flat loom to protect the wiring from the six pin baseplate connector to my tail lights and it easily fit under the door scuff plates. A four pin connector is fine. I decided to use a six pin connector in order to run a charge line between my coach and toad as I tow a hybrid. This was the first install on a new car so I needed to identify the brake and turn signal wires and run wires to them. A test light made wire identification easy.

For the rest of the toad wiring I used split loom for protection. I also installed the optional transmitter that indicates when my toad brakes are applied. The coach part of the installation is difficult and I should have hired a shop to run the air lines. The toad part wasn't hard to do except for running wires and the air line through the firewall.

Newer Entegra coaches on Spartan chasses now come with the coach parts installed at the factory and I assume that other brands on a Spartan chassis might also include this.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwind 04 View Post
I need a new braking system for my toad. I had the Even Brake for years but was never happy with the performance of that system. But alas it died just as we purchased our first DP a Journey 42e with Tag. So I would like to hear others experience with these braking systems Before I sink another $1500 to $2000 into another poor performer!

Thank you!
I’ve got an even brake system for sale $285 complete everything works.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #46

Send a message via AIM to Our05Winneba
I went with the NSA ReadyBrake Elite and could not be happier. It is simple and costs far less than having to buy a separate braking unit - all of which only do with complicated electronics what the ReadyBrake does mechanically.
Our05Winneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #47

Another vote for M&G. Nothing to put in or take out of the toad interior to hook up. For our CRV a Fusemaster battery disconnect switch/cable was added. One end goes into the appropriate fuse spot in the fuse box under the dash. A hole was drilled into the lower part of the dash left of the steering wheel for the Drive/Tow switch. Couldn't be any easier! Have had M&G for 5 problem free years and love it!
Old 10-01-2020, 06:44 PM   #48

Another point with me is that the braking units that fit on the floor and you have to remove to drive the toad is that, have you ever tried stopping a vehicle with the brake booster inop or the engine off, it doesn't work very well and you need all you brake assist you can get in an emergency stop.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Blue ox
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Limey0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #49

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Free2Go
I went with the Duo nine-years ago because:
- I didn't want to have to store a supplemental brake system when driving the car
- I didn't want to have to put it in and take it out each time we hooked up or unhooked the towed
- I wanted a braking system that was easy...just flip a switch under the dash to turn it on (Duo)
- I wanted a braking system that took into account both deceleration and braking so my car wasn't braking when I used the compression brake (I rarely use anything other than the compression brake on hills, exits, etc.) (Duo). Maybe this contributes to not needing new brakes on my towed after 100k of driving and 100k of towing!
Steve
Free2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:47 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another vote for RVibrake3. Portable, lightweight and easy to set up and use.
DznyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:02 AM   #51

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I installed SMI on a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited. I only have flip a switch.
I like it senses motion and the brake light. Has worked fine.
Aherold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:45 AM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Newsomes View Post
We went with the RVIBrake 3. Initial install was easy and straight forward, setup prior to towing easy as well as removal at destination, works as advertised.
X2, very happy with RViBrake 3
tbillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:54 AM   #53
BJH

Tiffin Owners Club
Toad brakes

Installed AF1 9 years ago and 3 toads later, it's simply the flawless ! Upgraded to the dash mount active light remote 3-4 yrs ago and again, works without fail. I would not do a DIY install (just me) but have a qualified dealer do so as you're
Tinkering with the toad electric system etc. Compact under the hood unit, 1 air line and mount the brake pedal bracket (pretty much unseen after install).

Ya just can't go wrong with AF1.
BJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #54

Ready Brake

We tow a Jeep Wrangler behind a View 24J with a Ready Brute Elite II Tow Bar. It is a purely mechanical system. Like all toads, it still requires a breakaway system and wiring for lights.

I'm an electrical engineer and a pilot and am always wary of the reliability of complex electronics in safety critical applications so I opted for a purely mechanical system.
DrMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:44 AM   #55

I chose the Delta Force portable SBS, made by SMI (now Demco). Was highly rated in Motorhome magazine at the time. Has worked well for us.
https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...es/delta-force
Old 10-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
We started with brake buddy on Honda CRV., bad news! Set the pressure setting according to their manual (for CRV weight class) constant brake over heat, contacted their tech support and was told CRV setting is little different for CRV. Plus too many steps to setup.
Switched to M& G engineering brake system. You may need help for initial installation, but after that easy setup. Works off of your coach’s air/brake system,. Have had it for last 5 years , very happy with it
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, toad, toads