Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2006, 02:37 PM   #1

I own a 93 Samurai 4x2 that we intend on using as our toad... and have been told to disconnect the driveshaft when towing it 4 down.

Being this is a standard shift vehicle, is it Really neccessary to disconect the driveshaft?

I know the 4x4's just have to put the transfer case in neutral and tranny in a gear, but the 4x2 doesnt have that luxury, of course.

Im curious what others are doing with their 4x2 standard transmission vehicles - specifically the Samurai?

Your input is appreciated.

New Port Richey, FL
NR4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2006, 02:37 PM   #2

I own a 93 Samurai 4x2 that we intend on using as our toad... and have been told to disconnect the driveshaft when towing it 4 down.

Being this is a standard shift vehicle, is it Really neccessary to disconect the driveshaft?

I know the 4x4's just have to put the transfer case in neutral and tranny in a gear, but the 4x2 doesnt have that luxury, of course.

Im curious what others are doing with their 4x2 standard transmission vehicles - specifically the Samurai?

Your input is appreciated.

New Port Richey, FL
Old 10-28-2006, 06:14 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Check with Remco.com And they will know if it is or not. I would say Tow!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:40 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Check with Remco.com And they will know if it is or not. I would say Tow!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply, Dan. Remco.com is a Water Purification company, but I knew what you meant: remcotowing.com

Their website lists Suzukis, but everything but the Samurai.

Im inclined to think like you, Tow It.

I am curious what others are doing with theirs - or am I the only one with a 4x2 out there in RV-Land ?

New Port Richey, FL
Old 10-29-2006, 04:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You can call Remco and ask them - they are generally happy to give whatever information they have, even on vehicles they don't have listed in their application guides.

I recall seeing messages from other Samurai 4x2 owners, but don't recall any details. Seems to me they just towed in neutral, though. You could always run the engine for a few minutes every few hundred miles to be sure any necessary lubricants got circulated, e.g. for hydraulic clutch.

Have you tried a Search (Find) on the forum for references to Samurai? There must have been a number of posts about them over the years.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:17 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> You could always run the engine for a few minutes every few hundred miles to be sure any necessary lubricants got circulated, e.g. for hydraulic clutch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Gary -
The Samurai has a clutch cable, but thats not a bad idea to see what it'd do.

I called Remco today, and the guy I talked with was kinda rude. He told me you can't tow
the Samurai 4 down unless it is a 4 wheel drive. Period. I asked what possible damages could be done to the transmission if I do tow my 4x2 and he just replied, "You can do whatever you want to - Im just telling you that you cant tow it 4 down."

When I asked about the possibilites of manually disconnecting the driveshaft he told me they dont make a shaft disconnect for the Samurai, and again, "You do what you want" &lt;Click&gt;

What a jerk.

New Port Richey, FL
Old 10-30-2006, 12:36 PM   #7

Sam,

Do you have the owners manual? Usually they state information on towing in them, sometimes a bit unclear. Another option is call a wrecker company, they have "Master" books on what they need to do to tow specific cars.

If you don't have a manual, I'd crawl under and see if you can see which tranny is in it, and then do a google search to see if you can come up with anything...

I am not familiar with the 2wd Samurai, but if it is a manual trans, the hold back might be that the lube pump for the trans only operates when the engine is driving the input shaft, which could cause oil starvation to the rotating parts when towed 4 down.

On the other hand, you could just have one of those "rare" vehicles that no one really has towed 4 down. The Auto trans was most likely the most prevailant option, so Remco may be saying "no" because of lack of Data.

If I owned the vehicle, and that was my option at the time for towing, I would probally take the risk. You have to gauge the risk your willing to take... If this is your only car, and still owe on it, maybe I would think twice. But if it is a good second car, that if the tranny goes, you can afford to take the hit... I'd give it a shot.

One thing I would probally do is get an oil sample from the tranny before you start towing, then do one a few miles down the road (2 or 3k of towed miles), and see if the results are differ drastically. you can get Oil sample kits from a number of places, but I used Blackstone (I think it is www.blackstonelabs.com). Also, I would not be suprized to see ATF in the gear box, seems that many manuals are now using auto tranny fluid instead of gear oil...

Hope this helps some?

John
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:44 PM   #8

The URL was worng:

www.blackstone-labs.com

Just a clarification... Running the engine every couple hundred miles really doesn't do anyhting for a hydraulic clutch. a hydraulic clutch is really just the acutator for the clutch itself. Like your brake system, you press the pedal, the pedal presses into the master, the master presses the fluid, the fluid presses the slave, the slave releases the clutch. Running the engine if it is a trans with a lube pump on the input shaft will circulate the fluid through the rest of the tranny... "Maybe". It depends on the design. In the rearly 90's Chevy made some small cars that were taking damage to the tranny because the owners were "coasting" out of gear, the problem was that when coasting (clutch in, or in netural clutch out) the lube pump wasn't turning and the rest of the trans wasn't getting lube. My point is some trans will pump lube unless they are acutally moving forward.

John
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:30 PM   #9

John,

Thanks for the detailed note.

The Samurai is just a play car - not an every day vehicle.

The owner's manual states that the 4x4 is towable 4 down with the transfer case in neutral and the gear shift in 2nd gear. The 4x2 they tell you to tow on a dolly with the front wheels on the ground. (backwards)

I have a hard time believing this which is why I posted this question.

I used to do oil analysis every oil change on my airplane, but dont know that going through all of that for a tow vehicle is worth it. If the news turns out to be metal particles in the oil, it is probably too late by then anyway.

I got an email from a nice gentleman who tells me the 4x2 is rare as most of them are 4x4. He recommends just towing it 4 down and I shouldnt have any issues.

Worst case scenario is that I have a 14mm socket set that I can disconnect the 4 bolts that connects the driveshaft universal to the differential.

Although I can see where that's going to be a pain in the pouring rains.

New Port Richey, FL
Old 10-30-2006, 05:17 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sam, I can't give you informatyion specific to your Sammy, but over the past decade or two, a common disqualifier for towing Std. ( non auto) transmissions 4 down, is because the part of the trans that turns when towed, usually the output shaft, and maybe an associated gear or two, were situated above the lube level, causing a shortage of lubrication to those componants..When the transmission is turned naturaly, ie:, from the engine end, there are gear assemblies that are submerged in lube, and in turning, they splash and carry lube onto the rest of the trans., thus providing lubrication to the whole deal. I have known folks to "over fill" std. trandsmissions so that the lube level covered the output shaft etc. and they say that they have gotten along well with that arrangement. This ( "dry" output shaft) is not uncommon on vehicles these days..I'm certainly NO expert on them, but I would be surprised to find an oil pump in a Std. tranny...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #11

I have a Suzuki X90 2wd, 5 sp and it has been towed over 40,000 miles by the two previous owners. The X90 is related to the later Sidekick if that helps.
Advocate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:19 AM   #12

I would think that doing what the manufacturer, wreckers and Remco say to do, is probably the best choice? If the experts say not to do it and you are going to do it anyway, why ask?
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would think that doing what the manufacturer, wreckers and Remco say to do, is probably the best choice? If the experts say not to do it and you are going to do it anyway, why ask? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The manufacturer (Suzuki) has not tested this vehicle 4 down, so they recommend a dolly.

I have not discussed this with any Wrecking companies.

I called Remco again and spoke with someone intelligent this time. He looked it up in his books and told me it is FINE to tow 4 down.

Sorry I wasted your valuable time having to read through this thread.

New Port Richey, FL
Old 01-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #14

Sam and Sandy!
Go to the link below . This is a club from Australia and these folk cruisu all over the desrt with their Samuri's I will bet they have an answer for you about how to tow or fix you Samuri for towing. They are for ever hot rodding those little cars and change them. It is amazing what the do.
Gerry
1998 Dutch Star 1998 Chevy Tracker 4x4x4

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...guid=130056897