Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #1

Switch for Fuse - Instead of pulling fuse to tow

Instead of buying a pre-made switch assembly to use instead of pulling a fuse to get the toad ready for towing, I made the following:
I ordered a “fuse socket connector kit” and SPST switch online. Off to the car parts store for an in-line fuse, then grabbed some wire and terminal connectors that I had.

Picture one is of the parts: the fuse socket connector (the yellow adapter), the switch, and the in-line fuse.

The next photo is of the rear of the switch where I connected one end of the wire with insulated female spade connectors. The switch is mounted in a small piece of trim plastic which I was able to remove from the dash…luckily, it just snaps in and out. After drilling a hole the size of the switch, I popped the switch in to the plastic…which then snaps back in to place in the dash.

The next pic is the front of the switch after installation in plastic trim.

Next, I butt-spliced the in-line fuse to one of the two wires in the new pair of wires and then connected the opposite end of the fuse and the second wire to the fuse connector itself, again using insulated female spade connectors.
Last pic is the final harness, which just plugs in to the space where the fuse to be pulled for towing goes. I took that fuse, and put it in to the in-line fuse harness and plugged it all in and fished the wire from the fuse box to the switch area behind the dash. Works perfectly and total cost was comparatively low: fuse connector $14.95, switch $4.99, in-line fuse $3.97. I had the wire, butt connector, and spade connectors on-hand.

Just thought I’d share one home-made solution that came in under $30.00 versus $80.00+ for pre-fabricated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse_switch_connector.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	202483   Click image for larger version

Name:	switch_back.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	202484  

Click image for larger version

Name:	switch_front.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	202485   Click image for larger version

Name:	harness.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	202486  

Towing 2006 Honda CR-V LX
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2018, 04:45 AM   #2

Nice job.
I did the same on prior CR-V toad but didn't realize there were fuse connectors available...had to cobble up the connection.
The connector makes it a lot easier.
Current CR-V I installed a charge line and so far no need to pull fuses. Will definitely keep this in mind if I find I need to switch the fuse.
Thanks
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #3

Charge line question

Thanks for the response - but you bring up another question for me :-)
I also ran a charge line from the rig to the toad. The manufacturer (Chevy) doesn't say WHY to pull the fuse, but simply that it needs to be pulled.
The old Saturn didn't require any fuses to be pulled.
Out of an abundance of caution (and laziness), I installed the switch for the fuse.
My question - is pulling the fuse ONLY to stop draining the toad battery? I didn't know the answer, so now I have both a fuse disconnect and charge line.
Overkill?
Towing 2006 Honda CR-V LX
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #4

My guess.... it depends.
Which fuse are they recommending be pulled.
I think for the Honda its radio or other dash stuff that has some drain in accy position.

On the old Honda I saw conflicting info on which fuse# and I ended up putting in a DP sw to disconnect both to be sure.

If it is related to trans or something like that it could make a difference.
Dealer or better mfg tech rep might provide better info.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, switch, tow