Switch for Fuse - Instead of pulling fuse to tow
Instead of buying a pre-made switch assembly to use instead of pulling a fuse to get the toad ready for towing, I made the following:
I ordered a “fuse socket connector kit” and SPST switch online. Off to the car parts store for an in-line fuse, then grabbed some wire and terminal connectors that I had.
Picture one is of the parts: the fuse socket connector (the yellow adapter), the switch, and the in-line fuse.
The next photo is of the rear of the switch where I connected one end of the wire with insulated female spade connectors. The switch is mounted in a small piece of trim plastic which I was able to remove from the dash…luckily, it just snaps in and out. After drilling a hole the size of the switch, I popped the switch in to the plastic…which then snaps back in to place in the dash.
The next pic is the front of the switch after installation in plastic trim.
Next, I butt-spliced the in-line fuse to one of the two wires in the new pair of wires and then connected the opposite end of the fuse and the second wire to the fuse connector itself, again using insulated female spade connectors.
Last pic is the final harness, which just plugs in to the space where the fuse to be pulled for towing goes. I took that fuse, and put it in to the in-line fuse harness and plugged it all in and fished the wire from the fuse box to the switch area behind the dash. Works perfectly and total cost was comparatively low: fuse connector $14.95, switch $4.99, in-line fuse $3.97. I had the wire, butt connector, and spade connectors on-hand.
Just thought I’d share one home-made solution that came in under $30.00 versus $80.00+ for pre-fabricated.
1995 Prevost Marathon XLV
Detroit Diesel 470hp 12.7L DDECIII
Towing 2006 Honda CR-V LX