Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:37 PM   #15

I see how an unlocked bar is easy to overlook and could happen to anyone. Can you explain how this can happen so I can try and avoid it as well?

Is it because the unlocked bar allowed a too tight turn?

I appreciate any explanation.

Regards

2022 Kountry Star 3412
Jeep Wrangler
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2022, 04:28 AM   #16

FloridaSon

Looking back on the incident, the procedure I have used in the past is once the toad is fully hooked up , I put the car in reverse and back up until I feel the arms lock, like a slight bump. If only one arm locks, I will pull forward with the rv slowly swerving until I feel the 2nd arm lock, again a slight bump…. I have done it like this for the past 2 years… Again looking back I can not honestly say I felt that second bump when I started pulling the toad. I would surmise then this was operator error on my part. The tow arm is undamaged both arms are locking. Demco has a video out showing the procedure for locking both arms and that is to put the toad in reverse and back up… I would recommend you to watch it… it can be found on you tube or there website…
As an update : a Hitch Shop in Charleston inspected my base plate yesterday and confirmed that there is no damage to the tab receivers, the cross plate was slightly bent causing the tab receivers angle change. I will update again on the repair…
I will not be towing this toad, until the repair/ replacement is done…
Ginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:29 PM   #17

Update:

Base plate was repaired today an excellent job by Corbin Hitch and Manufacturing from Charleston SC. I highly recommend them if you need work in this area. I came in cold on Monday met the owner Steve, he told me after a thorough inspection that it was repairable… he was extremely busy but due to my circumstances he would squeeze me in the next day, had to leave the car all day in his shop. As you all know the grill, front nose all had to be removed to get access to the base plate, they removed the base plate straightened the cross bar, added reinforcement to the bar reinstalled and put everything back together. It was an incredibly reasonable price, I felt more than fair. When I thanked him for getting me out of this jam, he smiled and said this is what we do we help people, and that’s a quote….shook hands and I was on my way… I met some incredible people on this trip, when I had the tow bar incident I made an emergency stop at a church in Savannah, the pastor was out working on the lawn, he came over and helped me for an hour trying to straighten things out and get going, he even offered his church parking lot to us for boondocking if we needed to stay overnight…

Some trip
Ginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
I think it’s bend too far, I would drive the car home separately.
It’s the safe thing to do.
You might need to replace it.
Bending does weaken steel.

BTW, I keep a second set of tabs, locking pins and tail light connections in my RV all the time. I lost a locking pin once and was stuck. So now I keep redundant items. It’s worth the $200 in supplies.
The Blue Ox pins are a certain size, nothing else would fit the locking pin.
I have a Blue Ox setup, but my comments pertain to the Demco line too.
Another way to lock a tow bar is to turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction of the unlocked arm. It will move it enough to lock it.

Watch
https://youtu.be/y4DjC38G-lA

I travel solo mostly. I have an RVI brake system, and love that I can apply the brakes to the toad. I hook up and once everything is set, I lean against my toad and push. Usually get at least one locked. Then apply the toad brakes manually to lock in the other arm. Has done me without fail.
mattyrj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs