Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #1

Tag light on my toad

Anyone ever had an issue with law enforcement on NOT having your tag light not lit on your toad at night? thx
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 10:29 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It's never been an issue for me, but my plate is a very reflective white background and they might not notice it's not lighted.

If a LEO wants to stop you, that could certainly be a reason to check further. If you were driving from Colorado into Nebraska, you might be stopped for the license light just so they could be sure you weren't bringing the wrong souvenirs of a visit to CO.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:38 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Never a problem, never a concern.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grthigpen View Post
Anyone ever had an issue with law enforcement on NOT having your tag light not lit on your toad at night? thx
Well Sir,
While it is a requirement (law) in most likely all 50 states, I don't think I've ever heard of any person actually being either pulled over or, ticketed for a license plate light out. Heck, while living in CA, we owned 7 different Jeep wranglers over a 30 year period and, all of which had no front license plate, at all and, it's definitely required in CA. Never even questioned about that.

I just purchased a Hopkins wiring Kit for our 2015 JKU Rubicon to set it up for toad lights and, it doesn't light up the license plate light. No biggie.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:26 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Grthigpen,
I duct tape a harbor freight led flashlight to my back end for travel at night. I have been followed by Leo's in Oregon at night but have never been stopped. I am thankful that my dw suggested the hf light.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:47 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It would be real nice if you could just plug into a provided harness (by the MFG) and all the lights work on the TOAD as if it were being driven. I know I would pay extra for that type of convenience.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:17 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
It would be real nice if you could just plug into a provided harness (by the MFG) and all the lights work on the TOAD as if it were being driven. I know I would pay extra for that type of convenience.
There are many light kits that do as you describe, they do involve adding diodes into the vehicle wiring to prevent the energizing of the electrical system. If diodes weren't used, the lighting of the tail lights would also send power to the front, side, dash lights and more. And you do pay more for that 'convenience'.

https://www.etrailer.com/tbwiring-2016-year.htm

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our dolly lights are legal from our research for all lighting requirements in all states...EXCEPT: marker lights and license plate illumination after dark.

Yes, we have found there are some state laws that require these corner and plate lights for the toad. Never stopped, but why risk a silly police stop for something like that?

Easy fix...we just manually turn on the toad's lights to the parking light position. That's just the four corners lights, dash, and plate light. We have never had an issue with battery drain because it is not usually for driving past about 10pm at the latest (3-4 hours) before we stop.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #9

I wasn't towing at the time but I was stopped one night and given a warning ticket for no license plate light on my toad. So sometimes the police will stop you.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
As I stated above, I recently purchased the Hopkins kit for our 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and it is a direct, plug and play harness. But, it only lights the tail lights and, makes the brake and turn work for the rear only. I have wired all my toads, including 8 previous Jeeps, all the same exact way. I tied into the factory wiring and used diodes for blocking the RVs signals from traveling where they're not supposed to go.

But, in doing it the old way like I've done for years, it would also allow my front parking lights to work and, the side marker lights. Heck, even the dash lights worked. That was a perfect situation as I could tell where my toad(s) were and what position they were in, in a tight turn in the night time driving hours. And it would also allow for more visibility of those toads, for other drivers that had close proximity to them, in night time or, darker driving hours, rain etc.

But, this present Hopkins harness does not allow for those forward lights to work. It's not the end of the world but, I'd sure like them to work. Oh well, it's done and, the important lights work and that's what counts.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, toad