RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #141

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Some RV parks don't have a good place to park your trailer. I've seen some smaller flat trailers for those micro cars stuffed under the RV...which can't be fun to do. Muscling it under there in the rain can't be fun.

The other issue is that it's a definite hassle to get the car unloaded, than drive the RV to whatever holding yard the RV park might have (often an un-maintained field around back) drop off the trailer, than come back and park the RV.

And I'm probably forgetting several other reasons trailers aren't too popular. Weight is well known of course.

I know some RV'ers use flat bed trailers to tow their favorite cars, but it seems to be the minority.

Why not just buy another car specifically for towing 4 down? Sure be easier on you. After all, RV'ing is suppose to be fun.
All of the above is 100% correct. I see folks with enclosed trailers as well but for the life of me I can't see what they do with them other than have to find a place for them when they come to the camp grounds. Our Resort in South FL only allows them in to unload and the they have to be stored at a Public Storage lot. Some of our folks bring their outside furniture back and forth or other items like a pair of Harleys.

Now you can do a lot of us a real favor. As an already Tesla owner maybe you can get to talk to some folks there to get them to program the car to be towed.

Farther back in this thread there was mention of an Electric Truck that is due to come out next year, maybe, and it is also supposed to be R/V friendly.
https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/
https://bollingermotors.com/mission/

So if these can be tow-able then it is coming for others as well. I'm just not sure I'll be here to see it or need it.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #142

The Tesla can't be towed with any wheels down. There are no plans to make it towable. Sounds like I will have to find a Jeep to tow. Does it matter if it is manual or auto?
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:27 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
S I thought the Tesla might be nice as I could charge it off the 50 amp service at RV Park. What do you think? Shoot me down.
How ya gonna do that if the RV is plugged into the 50 Amp plug?
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:29 PM   #144

We do. Use a 50 amp to 50 amp dual splitter. Literally just a Y cable with two x 50 amp receptacles. Use one for the EV And one for the coach. We bought a cheapie 16 amp 240 EVSE just for this purpose. We own RV lots in a couple locations. We watch power usage but have never popped the 50 amp breaker. Just limit the EVSE size to 12 or 16 amps 240 volts. Either way it’ll be charged charged in the morning.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #145

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The Tesla can't be towed with any wheels down. There are no plans to make it towable. Sounds like I will have to find a Jeep to tow. Does it matter if it is manual or auto?
All Jeep standard transmissions can be flat towed.

Jeep has in the past had a few autos that it took almost standing on your head to tow them. Disconnect this fuse, throw this special switch, do that and so on. But that went away in 2017 Grand Cherokee Limited with Quad a Trac II. This is easily recognized by just aft of the Shift lever is a large round knob. It is labeled for the various drive train arrangements. Mud, Snow, Ice and Auto. Just leave it in Auto and it does everything for you. So to tow it is just this simple, hook up to your tow bar, back the Jeep to engage the lock outs on a Blue Ox. Now put the Jeep into N and with a ball point pen or some other sharp instrument, while pressing on the foot brake, push the little indent button just behind the big Round Knob. A little LED will start to blink and then will go solid red. The transfer case has been disconnected. They tell you to put the transmission into park but the problem is that the dash says the engine is to fast to go into park. So easy enough just shut the engine off with your foot on the brake, push the Gear Selector into park, restart the engine and it is in park. This whole process takes less than two minutes. When you get to where you are going just start the Jeep, pull the shift lever into N, put your foot on the brake, depress the recessed button, you will hear a loud bang and the red LED goes off. The Transfer Case is now engaged. Shift into park and disconnect the car. Doesn't get any easier than that unless someone is doing it for you. Don't forget to put the car in Park it will roll in or away when you disconnect the tow bar if you don't.

I believe that the Quad Trac II is the only Auto in the Grand Cherokee line. I just went on line to order my 2020 and that was the Auto that came up on the site. I just looked at the new Gladiator pick up just out for 2020. The Overland Edition has a long wheel base that makes for a nice ride. But it still a live front axle and still like a CJ-7 inside. I was hoping for more like the Cherokee but not so. The Auto is an Auto but the Transfer Case is a manual in and out. Way to much trouble for me and it cost the same as a Grand Cherokee Limited. I'm not really interested with off road 4 wheeling nor do I need a Pick up.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:59 AM   #146

Thanks for that detailed reply. What I understand from that is when buying a used toad, all manual trannys good and some older auto trsnnys, not so good. Not buying new, so that doesnt matter to me. Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
All Jeep standard transmissions can be flat towed.

Jeep has in the past had a few autos that it took almost standing on your head to tow them. Disconnect this fuse, throw this special switch, do that and so on. But that went away in 2017 Grand Cherokee Limited with Quad a Trac II. This is easily recognized by just aft of the Shift lever is a large round knob. It is labeled for the various drive train arrangements. Mud, Snow, Ice and Auto. Just leave it in Auto and it does everything for you. So to tow it is just this simple, hook up to your tow bar, back the Jeep to engage the lock outs on a Blue Ox. Now put the Jeep into N and with a ball point pen or some other sharp instrument, while pressing on the foot brake, push the little indent button just behind the big Round Knob. A little LED will start to blink and then will go solid red. The transfer case has been disconnected. They tell you to put the transmission into park but the problem is that the dash says the engine is to fast to go into park. So easy enough just shut the engine off with your foot on the brake, push the Gear Selector into park, restart the engine and it is in park. This whole process takes less than two minutes. When you get to where you are going just start the Jeep, pull the shift lever into N, put your foot on the brake, depress the recessed button, you will hear a loud bang and the red LED goes off. The Transfer Case is now engaged. Shift into park and disconnect the car. Doesn't get any easier than that unless someone is doing it for you. Don't forget to put the car in Park it will roll in or away when you disconnect the tow bar if you don't.

I believe that the Quad Trac II is the only Auto in the Grand Cherokee line. I just went on line to order my 2020 and that was the Auto that came up on the site. I just looked at the new Gladiator pick up just out for 2020. The Overland Edition has a long wheel base that makes for a nice ride. But it still a live front axle and still like a CJ-7 inside. I was hoping for more like the Cherokee but not so. The Auto is an Auto but the Transfer Case is a manual in and out. Way to much trouble for me and it cost the same as a Grand Cherokee Limited. I'm not really interested with off road 4 wheeling nor do I need a Pick up.
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:17 AM   #147

Ummmm

Quote:
From the Tesla X manual:

Keeping Your Vehicle in Neutral (Tow Mode)
Model X automatically shifts into Park whenever you finish driving and leave
Model X. To keep Model X in Neutral when you exit, allowing it to roll freely (for example, pulling onto a transporter, etc.), activate Tow
mode:
1. Shift into Park.
2. Press the brake pedal.
3. Touch Controls > Service > Tow Mode.
Model X beeps, and shifts into Neutral (which
releases the parking brake).
Gears
56 Model X Owner's Manual
When Tow mode is active, Model X displays this indicator light on the instrument panel, along with a message telling you that Model X will
roll freely.
Note: In Tow mode, Model X does not shift into a driving gear. To cancel Tow mode, shift into Park or touch Tow mode again. Tow mode also cancels if you use the touchscreen to apply the parking brake (Controls > Safety &
Security > Parking Brake).
TexasBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBrit View Post
From the Tesla X manual:

Keeping Your Vehicle in Neutral (Tow Mode)
Model X automatically shifts into Park whenever you finish driving and leave
Model X. To keep Model X in Neutral when you exit, allowing it to roll freely (for example, pulling onto a transporter, etc.), activate Tow
mode:
1. Shift into Park.
2. Press the brake pedal.
3. Touch Controls > Service > Tow Mode.
Model X beeps, and shifts into Neutral (which
releases the parking brake).
Gears
56 Model X Owner's Manual
When Tow mode is active, Model X displays this indicator light on the instrument panel, along with a message telling you that Model X will
roll freely.
Note: In Tow mode, Model X does not shift into a driving gear. To cancel Tow mode, shift into Park or touch Tow mode again. Tow mode also cancels if you use the touchscreen to apply the parking brake (Controls > Safety &
Security > Parking Brake).
I think this could be a real towable mode. Believe Tesla's have only 4 states. Drive, battery connected to motors via fwd contactor. Reverse, battery connected to motor via reverse contactor. Park, both fwd and reverse contactors open, but parking calipers energized. Tow, both contactors open and brake not energized. I am sure many other factors are involved, like regen braking, regular braking, cooling etc. I wouldn't do it with my car, but sounds like with proper programing and some slight modifications, could be possible. But doubt Tesla would ever do it.

BTW Tesla's latest OTA firmware update allows true one pedal driving. Regen braking used to cut out at about 10 mph and you had to use regular brakes to completely stop. Now regen will actually stop the car with no brake use at all.

Tags
toad