RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:01 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Heh heh. Mayby itís different where you are. That doesnít happen here.
It happens here all the time. Between the EV owners, bike riders, and pot smokers, they think they are entitled to all of the roads. They also think someone else should pay their way. The EV owners here fight over outlets where they can steal power where ever they are.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2019, 09:19 AM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I canít speak for Tesla but our Leaf (1st generation) regens at over 30 KW. So in the case of our car in less than hour assuming an empty battery within less than an hour the battery would be full. I believe most newer EVís regen at twice the rate of our car.

Probably just easier to run an umbilical from the generator and run the genny while driving. Or just charge up at a commercial site or even overnight at the campground (with permission).

We tow an EV as a Toad. Charging opportunities have not been a problem.
Are you able to Flat tow your leaf behind your RV? I was hoping to find an EV that could be flat towed.
rickkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:26 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickkan View Post
Are you able to Flat tow your leaf behind your RV? I was hoping to find an EV that could be flat towed.
Nope we have two EVís, both of which we use as a Toad. But we tow one on a trailer and the Leaf we can tow on a dolly. Can it be done? Probably from what I have seen on YouTube. But both of ours are under warranty so no. Depending on your budget you can probably find an 8 or 9 year old Leaf for 5 or 6 grand and experiment. It would be cool to be able to do it but I wonít risk a warranty. We only keep our cars for 5 or 6 years anyway so Iíll never have an old enough EV to try it.

Good on you for digging into it though. I wish you success.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #60

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I like your idea! All I need now is an extra $50K for a Tesla......
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchemie View Post
I like your idea! All I need now is an extra $50K for a Tesla......

Heh heh. I hear ya. The cheap ones are 35000 bucks now. Buy two .
Old 03-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #62

I too wish to flat tow an EV. The Tesla 3 does have a tow mode but I think it is just a single slow speed tow bar that disconnects the steering lock and regen brakes. Has anyone approached Tesla engineering with the idea of toad towing. The new Tesla SUV or should I say SEV (Sport Electric Vehicle) would be a wonderful platform for a TOAD. Maybe Elon is listening.
After researching our coach generator Onan 5.5 hgjab we found that although it can provide 2 x 45 amp power legs at 125 volts power to neutral the voltage across the two power legs is not 240 volts so it cannot be used with a Class 2 Tesla charger. Pity! Hopefully Tesla and Onan can come up with a sollution.
Coddicouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coddicouple View Post
I too wish to flat tow an EV. The Tesla 3 does have a tow mode but I think it is just a single slow speed tow bar that disconnects the steering lock and regen brakes. Has anyone approached Tesla engineering with the idea of toad towing. The new Tesla SUV or should I say SEV (Sport Electric Vehicle) would be a wonderful platform for a TOAD. Maybe Elon is listening.
After researching our coach generator Onan 5.5 hgjab we found that although it can provide 2 x 45 amp power legs at 125 volts power to neutral the voltage across the two power legs is not 240 volts so it cannot be used with a Class 2 Tesla charger. Pity! Hopefully Tesla and Onan can come up with a sollution.
Have been a proponent of a Tesla flat towing for years. But I was told that the directive comes from Musk himself in that no Tesla will be towed any place. If it is for their service program it is picked up in an enclosed trailer. So not be be seen as needing a tow.

Now I don't know how true any of that is but that is what I have been told. But knowing the snobbery of some automotive companies I can believe it. Case in point, the story goes Rolls Royce had a letter from an owner asking how many HP her RR had. The answer was one word. "Sufficient". Or the customer that broke an axle on a RR Silver Cloud and called for service in the Alps. RR came to the site in the Alps and repaired the car. The customer wrote to RR thanking them for their quick and unusual service when their car broke down in the Alps. Their answer was, "RR thanks you for your kind words but we don't know of which you speak. Rolls Royce Silver Clouds do not break down".

Elon Musk seems to fit in this line of thinking.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #64

Quote:
I can’t speak for Tesla but our Leaf (1st generation) regens at over 30 KW. So in the case of our car in less than hour assuming an empty battery within less than an hour the battery would be full. I believe most newer EV’s regen at twice the rate of our car.

Probably just easier to run an umbilical from the generator and run the genny while driving. Or just charge up at a commercial site or even overnight at the campground (with permission).

We tow an EV as a Toad. Charging opportunities have not been a problem.
Can you tow the EV four down or need a dolly?
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioSam View Post
Can you tow the EV four down or need a dolly?
See post # 60.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #66

How much fuel economy would you lose by charging your toad. That would be just like driving with the brakes dragging and since an ev can effectively brake to a complete stop without touching the brake pedal you would have to disconnect the drive motor in order for it to free wheel unless there was some kind of mechanical clutch to disconnect the driveline
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa5x View Post
How much fuel economy would you lose by charging your toad. That would be just like driving with the brakes dragging and since an ev can effectively brake to a complete stop without touching the brake pedal you would have to disconnect the drive motor in order for it to free wheel unless there was some kind of mechanical clutch to disconnect the driveline
Yes, but EV proponents donít want to talk about such things. A Tesla, Leaf or any other EV is not currently flat towable. If they ever are made to flat tow, the motors will need to be disengaged as you mention, which would render the regenerative braking useless.

Yes, we know theyíre not for everyone.
Yes, we know their owners love them.
Yes, we know they would work for most commuters.
Yes, we know theyíre not flat towable.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa5x View Post
Think the trick would be to have your toad regen brake instead of service brake when your coach is slowing down. Believe on most EV's, wheels are always connected to motor. Would need to change some wiring or a software change for this to happen.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:33 PM   #69

Tesla as a toad

If you can afford a Tesla, I think a full trailer would be the next purchase(along with a fire extinguisher ). I have a different question. I have a dolly with no brakes. If I were to purchase, let say a Brake buddy (In Car braking system) would this not do the same as if the dolly had brakes? What do you think?

Dave, Susan, Sandy,Elly,Belle Shirley
2018 Tiffin Red, Nissan Rogue
daveshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Think the trick would be to have your toad regen brake instead of service brake when your coach is slowing down. Believe on most EV's, wheels are always connected to motor. Would need to change some wiring or a software change for this to happen.
And remember that with something like a 60 KWH battery , the regen would only work for the first hour or so before the battery was full.

For the gentleman with the 120 volt generator, the Tesla EVSE (and every other manufacturer), also works on 120 volts. It just us quite a bit slower. Like 7 or 8 km per hour. As opposed to 40 to 60 (depending on the car if course).

EV car charging opportunities are actually getting quite plentiful. 20 to 30 minutes at a DCFC or overnight on a 14-50 campground receptacle (with permission) is a pretty good solution.

Cheers.

Tags
toad