Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #43

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
After reading all the statements in this post, it has answer all my questions, and evan questions that I havn't thought of. And yes, It will have brakes on the dollys.
Thanks, Keith & Val
swamphog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #44

I find this discussion interesting. Thank you all for taking the time to put the physics in reasonable clear terms.
Davidej M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Ready Brake System

Up until I purchased my Diesel Pusher I had a HR Endeavor gasser and used the Ready Brake System for my toad, Jeep Wrangler. The ready brake system worked fine, never a problem once you get the cables adjusted to the correct length. I sold the HR with the toad and all went with it so now now I am toadless. Really miss my Jeep. Guess I'll replace all one day along with the ready brake system.
Link is as follows ReadyBrake Supplemental Brake System for Towed Vehicles - Night Shift Auto
never a problem, easy to hook up, easy to use, easy to disconnect.
what more could you ask for...... Best system on the market ...
Best priced system on the market.
No I don't own the company, or work for them.
Wish I did...
Roy
Rver13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #46

My kinda guy. Another thing to mention is that because of the height above traffic and a super large windshield we are provided with another measure of safety. We are the safest group on the road. We drive in the right lane at 55mph or 60 and all is well...........
Old 06-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #47

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have said the same many times.. Basically it works out this way

If you are stopping with an AUX brakign system and ALL WHEELS LOCK UP, both motor home and towed your skid distance is the same as any other vehicle on the same stretch of road.. Basically it boils down to this

The mass of the vehicle/the weight of the vehicle times a constant times the SQURAE of your speed.

Now I do admit the motor home has a lot more mass than say a YUGO, but.. it also has a lot more weight and if you divide the mass by the weight, be it a 26,000 pound house on wheels or a yugo empty.. You get the gravitional constant,, same constant.

Now. what happens if you pull a towed w/o brakes

Well.. MASS goes way up.. Weight does not change

Thus. You skid farther.

(Mass is the physical mass of the combined vehicles,, Weight is the downward pressure on the wheels that brake.. any wheel turning free is not helping stop you)
Old 09-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #48

Yep, weight is weight and mass is mass. Put either in motion and you now have kinetic energy to deal with. I don't wish to define what SMI was saying but I interpret as dealing with kinetic energy which might equate to a mass or weight of 9,000 pounds.

I'm a lowly engineer, mechanical, but it seems pretty obvious what is being said.
Nova Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #49

Cheez! I guess I could've commented on who my response was to. I had read BryanL's discourse on the lecture and felt I needed to comment.

Sorry.
Nova Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #50

I wish I'd been around while this discussion was current.. Because IMO, its critical for anyone towing anything to understand the newtonian dynamics they'll be experiencing. With respect to the posting members, I think the discussion ran too far into the technical realm to be easily "digested" by readers unfamiliar with our pal Isaac and his laws. Inertia and weight aren't the most delicate factor, and the term "kinetic vector" is Greek to many laymen. The concept is the principle behind what's known as a "pit maneuver". Here's a video.

Think of a brakeless toad as being the police car in the video, and the fleeing car as the towing RV. Compared to the weight and inertia the lateral (sideways) nudge is a tiny force which causes a total loss of control. Without a braking system for the toad, the jackknife in a panic stop will result in more than enough sideways force to cause a total loss of control.
dale5of7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #51

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
Two things to remember.
#1 keep a safe distance in front of you to the next vehicle (from my observations most everyone follows way to close); thats the reason for most rear end crashes.
#2 a lot of motorhomers drive way past their safe driveing speed ( just because the motorhome runs so good at 75 MPH doesn't mean its safe to drive that speed. brakes on your toad are no help if your driveing past the safe speed.

safety is no accident
What?
I’m not supposed to go 75 mph in my 31’ Pace?
cmon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #52

I have a blue Ox braking system. It is very easy to hook up, has no wires, and has a cab controller in an emergency. It costs but worth it.
dave1248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #53

We use our Brake Buddy towing our Wrangler, I can think of three times when traveling on a highway for a long period of time, using the cruise control, coming into a small town and having someone pull out in front of me. So glad I had the Brake Buddy !!!!
Dr. Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
We just had the Air Force One installed this week.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:05 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by micki49 View Post
We just had the Air Force One installed this week.

Installing my Air Force One on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 05-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #56

Send a message via Yahoo to stevejohnson Send a message via Skype™ to stevejohnson
I need to tow a van on a car hauler

I have an American Eagle diesel pusher Model A38

My intention is to tow on a tandem axle car hauler a 3/4 ton utility van loaded with about 1000 lbs of musical instruments.

Organ, Piano, speakers, etc.

The manual says not to tow over 5000 lbs the van an hauler would come in at about 8600 lbs.

Are there any thoughts about "do it or don't do it" or, "This is how you do it."?

Thanks
stevejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote