Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Third Brake Light on 2016 JGC Toad

I have a 2016 JGC Overland. I installed a Road Master EZ5 Baseplate. I also have the RoadMaster Nighthawk tow bar. Also, we installed an SMI Duo Play and Stay Brake system.
My question is when we step on the brake in the tow vehicle only the Left/Righ illuminate. When we step on the brake pedal in the JGC all three of the brake lights illuminate. When we turn on the headlights in the tow vehicle only the rear tail lights on the JGC Toad no side marker lights is this correct or did we not wire something.
Otherwise, it seems to work perfectly Now to take the RV over and make sure the Tow set up on the RV is wired correctly.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #2

You're wired correctly. It's a very difficult thing to make the 3rd brake light illuminate with the stop lights. The side markers are something that can be done but hardly anyone spends the time and money to make that happen

ps. It took a while to figure out that JGC was Jeep Grand Cherokee
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
I have a 2016 JGC Overland. I installed a Road Master EZ5 Baseplate. I also have the RoadMaster Nighthawk tow bar. Also, we installed an SMI Duo Play and Stay Brake system.
My question is when we step on the brake in the tow vehicle only the Left/Righ illuminate. When we step on the brake pedal in the JGC all three of the brake lights illuminate. When we turn on the headlights in the tow vehicle only the rear tail lights on the JGC Toad no side marker lights is this correct or did we not wire something.
Otherwise, it seems to work perfectly Now to take the RV over and make sure the Tow set up on the RV is wired correctly.
w6pea,
The third brake light or otherwise known as the "CHMSL" or, Chassis High Mount Stop Light, as it's labeled in the tech world, (and is labeled as such in your fuse section of the owners manual) is activated by a completely separate circuit, in your G/C. It's like that in ALL VEHICLES that have one. And that includes cars, trucks, motor homes, etc. When a toad, such as your Grand, is wired with any form of aftermarket tow harness, that harness is tied into the tail lights only, not the circuit that the third brake light operates on.

The aftermarket harness, or, even for us folks that create our own harness, simply get's directly tied to the turn/brake light filaments in each tail light. As has been stated, not many take the time set to set up the operations for the third brake light. A totally separate wire would have to be integrated in the trailer plug of the Tow vehicle. And on some plugs, there's not enough pins. Then, that would have to be incorporated into the pig tail and finally, to be set up in the toad.

It's not worth it. To have good, properly working regular brake lights when towing, is all that's needed. Hope this helps some.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
And remember that the point of the third light, when it was first mandated, was to increase visibility of your brake lights to vehicles behind you. Since when you're towing the car, there's another (and bigger) set of brake lights above it (as seen from behind), that third light on the car is inconsequential.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:04 PM   #5

W6,

An old whiskey zero here.

Regarding the 3rd brake light, on BOTH of my toweds, I installed a light pulsing module ($7 Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Qiorange-Stro...flasher+module) in the feed line. It pulses ONLY the 3rd light, 3 times fast, 3 times slow, then is steady.

My cars do not use the orange turn or marker lights. The Red is used for brake and turn. The fender mounted lights are always steady.

I wired 2 SPDT relays, one is pulled in by each red stop/brake light. When only one relay is pulled in (as with a turn), the 3rd brake light does not come on.

When both relays are pulled in (as with braking) 12VDC passes through the closed contacts of each relay, wired in series, to the flasher module + in line before the light.

It works like a charm and really lets followers know that I am stopping.

73s,

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, light, toad