Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thoughts on Toad

I've got people wanting to buy my dually so I'll need something else to drive. Selling my 5th wheel so I don't need it anymore.

My original plan for a toad for our Monaco was to use our 2010 Silverado 4x4 ext. cab 6.5 bed truck as a toad. Wife drives it now.

Since I need to buy a vehicle I'm looking at Equinox and Colorado. Trouble with the Equinox is I couldn't pull my boat out of the water down in Florida to put it up in the storage yard for the summer when I leave, I'd have to ask for help and I don't like doing that. Also if I decided to move the 16 ft. box trailer I leave down there I'd have to ask someone to do that too.
I'm thinking of hooking up whichever I decide to use with the ReadyBrake system.
Silverado is naturally the biggest and has a camper shell so I could haul stuff in the bed and lock it up. It's also going to make my rig kind of long. I've never towed a car behind a motorhome before.

Silverado 6400 pounds
Colorado 4500 pounds
Equinox 3329 pounds.

So looking for thoughts from the experienced here. Fuel mileage difference, ease of towing difference, pulling grades (Monteagle twice a year). problems turning with the longer Silverado, etc.

400ISL, 10,000 tow rating on 2007 Monaco 42PDQ.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2021, 10:26 AM   #2

You will be surprised how many of us tow full size pickups. Given your needs tow the Silverado.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2006 Dip and pull a GMC Canyon (same as Colorado). Been using this setup for 2 years. I can barely tell the Canyon is back there.

I can’t speak to the Silverado or Redibrake. I have the M&G Braking system on the Canyon and it is fantastic — especially compared to the braking systems I’ve had before (Brake Buddy, invisibrake). A bit more difficult to install, but IMHO much easier to use and maybe just my perception, but it’s simplicity makes me feel like it will be extremely reliable.
Smhutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I've been towing a Sierra crew for 10 years and a Colorado before that, without any problems. A pickup is just too handy not to have.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad