Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2017, 05:41 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do both, dolly (Camry) and four down (Vue).

I prefer the 4 down as its easier faster, and more convenient to load / unload.

However, the dolly offers versatility, I can tow just about anything with it. I own a Acme dolly.

As for the straps, I snug them up, I do NOT honker down on them. On the Acme dolly, the vehicle needs to roll a little bit on the dolly.

I check the straps after a few miles, they sometimes require a little more snugging, but generally not.

Regardless of how I'm towing, I always do a walk around at every stop to check chains, pins, straps, wheel temperatures, etc.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2017, 05:53 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I had to choose between towing an Audi on a dolly and a Jeep 4 down I would go with the Jeep.

I tow a Chevy Captiva 4 down now. It does take some time to get it set up but it tows well and we have a vehicle to run around in when we get to the campground. If we are going to a campground that is less than 100 miles away my better half will just drive the toad there.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickySpanish View Post
Not an expert on this - but I see tow dolly's all the time at campgrounds. The advantage to a tow dolly (from my understanding) is:

- You can back up in the motorhome (some flat-tow bars allow this, seems most do not)
Can you elaborate on which tow dollies or flat tow bars you can back up with? I've always heard that dollies and flat tows are not backable.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #18

Another vote for 4 down. We've now towed our Wrangler about 12K miles, first behind a 31' Class C, and now a 35' Class A.
I highly recommend the Ready Brute tow bar system with surge brake. Did the install myself for less than $1500 all new including wiring etc.
As mentioned, you can't really back up with a tow bar, well maybe about 6" to a foot if you're really careful. I was really worried about this at gas stations, etc. Has not really been a problem although I really try to plan my way out BEFORE I pull up to the pump. I suspect that some day I might get into a position where we have to unhook the Jeep to get out, but that takes less than 5 minutes so I no longer worry about it.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Can you elaborate on which tow dollies or flat tow bars you can back up with? I've always heard that dollies and flat tows are not backable.
Backing up can be done with a towbar, but only for short distances and very carefully and slowly.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:43 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny644 View Post
After Airstreaming since 1993, we recently bought a 2017 Thor Tuscany 44MT and rented a tow dolly for our 2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited. After 2 weeks on the road, we knew we had to make a change (for all the reasons mentioned before in this thread). We were fortunate enough to find a 2014 Fusion Hybrid SE, with similar mileage and certified, while camping in SD and made basically a straight up trade.

Now we are working through all the 4-down issues and have sourced everything except the wiring harness and braking system.

Any braking reccomendations would be greatly appreciated!
Air force one by SMI. Once installed it can't be seen. It's proportional braking using your airbake system. Takes 1 minute to hook up. Can be transferred to any vehicle. I've used it for 20k miles on my Colorado and love it. The customer service is awesome. www.smibrake.com
Check it out.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
The RVi3 is very small and appears to work well (first real trip coming up). Only installation issue was running the wire out to the break away switch ( I must have done it the hard way. It literally takes 5 minutes to put in when you're ready to go and is transferrable between vehicles.
Thx for the RViBrake referral. It seems to be an effective alternative to the other non-permanent systems, and it surely seems easier/less expensive to install than the 'permanent' systems.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:31 PM   #22

Our 03 Suzuki XL7 has worked great for us towing 4 down now for 13 years. Less than five minutes to connect to coach, then shift transfer case into neutral, place gear selector in park, turn key on to accessory position to unlock steering wheel. Also doesn't record mileage while being towed.

Good luck with your choice and safe travels..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #23

Another vote for four down towing... super fast... super easy...
Boondockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #24

Since your question was "toad or no toad" the other option is "chase car". We traveled from Florida to Cal and back without towing ... Newmar Essex and spouse followed in a GMC Yukon. We only traveled 3 hours per day so it wasn't a big deal. Stopped every hour for breaks. Not for everybody but worked for us.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #25

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies! We've been looking at a Jeep
Wrangler, but really don't want to add that much more money into our system at the moment. I've noticed the Kar Kaddy and the Acme dolly mentioned several times - does anyone know of dollies that work with the car's steering wheel in the locked position? I believe the Acme needed the vehicle steering to not be locked. Since the Audi has an electronic ignition, there is no way to leave the key 'plugged in' to keep the steering unlocked.
kaosinapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosinapig View Post
Wrangler, but really don't want to add that much more money into our system at the moment. I've noticed the Kar Kaddy and the Acme dolly mentioned several times - does anyone know of dollies that work with the car's steering wheel in the locked position? I believe the Acme needed the vehicle steering to not be locked. Since the Audi has an electronic ignition, there is no way to leave the key 'plugged in' to keep the steering unlocked.
Add a battery disconnect. I have to do that on the Jeep as it has steering wheel lock and key must be on.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosinapig View Post
I talked to a guy at a campground once who was using a dolly of some sort. He looked like he'd been using it for a long time and had a lot of experience. He said having a dolly with steerable wheels was the way to go as opposed to those with a "turntable". Just throwing that out for what it's worth. I have always towed a Wrangler so I know nothing about a dolly.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:29 AM   #28

Four Down or Dolly

With the varied opinions on 4-down vs Dolly, I guess I have a stupid question. When you tow 4-down, doesn't the toad rack up miles on the odometer? I'm assuming you end up putting miles on the toad without really driving it.

Am I missing something here or is that the way 4-down would work?
Toad Haul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad