Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #1

To Toad or Not to Toad?

We are trying to decide which type of vehicle tow system we should use behind our new Class A. We have a front wheel drive Audi which we could carry on a Kar Kaddy tow dolly (approximately $3200) or we can get a used Jeep Wrangler and toad it with 4 wheels down. Can anyone offer any helpful suggestions on either method? Obviously the tow dolly would be the most cost effective, but we're worried about the security of the vehicle on it going down the road - we keep seeing recommendations to check the straps often. Then we seem to see way more toads with 4 wheels down than on a dolly. Any thoughts out there?
kaosinapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
IMHO go with the Jeep Wrangler and a good tow bar like a blue Ox system. You need to keep your GCVW to a minimum and with a Class C that can be tough after you load your coach up. The Kaddy is extra weight and you have to store it when you get to your destination and it's something else to have to maintain. Straps, wheel bearing and tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:52 PM   #3

Not an expert on this - but I see tow dolly's all the time at campgrounds. The advantage to a tow dolly (from my understanding) is:

- That no supplemental braking system is required to be legal in most states
- You can back up in the motorhome (some flat-tow bars allow this, seems most do not)
- You can use your existing vehicle if it is FWD

Advantages to flat towing (again, from my understanding):

- Two less tires to work about
- No hassle of getting vehicle on/off dolly to use
- No need to store the dolly when at camp
- Less tongue weight, easier on GVWR (not totally sure about this)

Seems like a wash to me. I have been debating these options myself and decided to get a Mini Clubman (manual trans) and flat tow it. Not being able to back up will require a lot of forward planning in a gas coach (can't get gas in the big one-way truck lanes) but ultimately having a vehicle with us when we camp will make it worth while.
RickySpanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #4

4 wheel down, 5 minutes to hook up, 3 minutes to disconnect. No dolly to worry about.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #5

An Acme EZ Tow would be less than $2000. Not sure how big your Audi is but we towed a Nissan Murano with ours with no problems.

That said, I've just gone to 4-down with a CRV. I have about $2500 in equipment and have done all the installs myself (baseplate, wiring etc). I'm guessing the labor to install that would have been another grand.

There's nothing wrong with tow dollies and if you like your Audi the Dolly might be right for you. I sold mine for $1000 after 2 years and you can probably find a used one out there for about the same
Old 07-10-2017, 07:56 PM   #6

No doubt there are many advantages of four down towing including ease of hookup and weight savings. However I have used a tow dolly for about 45000 miles now with no problems. It is more work to hook and unhook but I don't mind too much. I like the flexibility of what I tow and have pulled 5 different front wheel drive vehicles. Good luck with your decision.

Shawn
Shawn E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
We tow a 4 door Wrangler, drops mileage by 1 mpg , and a Fiat 500, which makes no difference in mileage. The Jeep is for out west, and the Fiat is for everywhere else. I think the manual trans Fiat is a great choice, and they're fairly inexpensive
Old 07-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #8

I second the jeep or any vehicle towed 4 wheels down. Kar Kaddy's are just another problem waiting to happen and take maintenance and storage both on the road and at home. A Jeep offers more options, less hassle and a lot more fun. The folks who I've talked with on the road wish they had chosen the 4 down option with one exception. He had a old coupe he showed and would change cars for anything. But even he wished he had bought a box trailer. Have fun in your travels!
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #9

I would go with the 4 down and the Wrangler.
No fuss, quick and easy.
I tow a 2016 Jeep and don't even know it's there.
Boss Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:55 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Toq dollies are required to have a braking system too, but sone use surge brakes like my KK-460 has. Don't use it anymore since I went to four down.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:34 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dollys don't work for us!

After Airstreaming since 1993, we recently bought a 2017 Thor Tuscany 44MT and rented a tow dolly for our 2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited. After 2 weeks on the road, we knew we had to make a change (for all the reasons mentioned before in this thread). We were fortunate enough to find a 2014 Fusion Hybrid SE, with similar mileage and certified, while camping in SD and made basically a straight up trade.

Now we are working through all the 4-down issues and have sourced everything except the wiring harness and braking system.

Any braking reccomendations would be greatly appreciated!
Streamintrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:28 AM   #12

The RVi3 is very small and appears to work well (first real trip coming up). Only installation issue was running the wire out to the break away switch ( I must have done it the hard way. It literally takes 5 minutes to put in when you're ready to go and is transferrable between vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny644 View Post
After Airstreaming since 1993, we recently bought a 2017 Thor Tuscany 44MT and rented a tow dolly for our 2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited. After 2 weeks on the road, we knew we had to make a change (for all the reasons mentioned before in this thread). We were fortunate enough to find a 2014 Fusion Hybrid SE, with similar mileage and certified, while camping in SD and made basically a straight up trade.

Now we are working through all the 4-down issues and have sourced everything except the wiring harness and braking system.

Any braking reccomendations would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-11-2017, 05:18 AM   #13

My take is how you plan to travel will make a huge impact on the decision. Pull thru sites where you don't unhook pretty much a wash, however...
If you snowbirds and travel 2x/ yr...down S in fall back in spring and only stop 2-4 nts along the way...and don't care if you have a vehicle along the way
Or
Will travel frequently and stay for several days or more along the way...my
4 Down hook up is quick & easy even in the rain...dolly not as easy.
2-3 mind to unhook the toad and DW is driving on her own... I'm off to the site in MH
More complicated w dolly...especially when not enough room on site to store it and need to take it to Storage first before site. Maybe easier if you can tow it w your vehicle but can DW take care of the dolly???
Dolly lower investment to start but some vehicles (AWD) can't be towed on dolly do be careful.
Much of the 4 Down equipment can be transferred to another vehicle in future which saves $ down the road.
Used stuff avail for both if $ is a major concern.
Pretty obvious...my vote 4 Down but realize other situations are different.
Only you can decide but good to have opinions and eyes wide open.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:37 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
We have Kar Kaddy SS towing a Prius. Has worked well for past year. You DO have to stop and tighten wheel straps periodically. We needed a second car, as I traded the dually on the MH. Last trip through TN, we picked up a 2016 Wrangler Sport Unlimited and I'm currently finishing it up for 4-down. Both have their plus and minus. PM me if you decide dolly, mine is up for sale. About 3500 miles on it.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad