Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2008, 08:32 AM   #15

We tow a Honda CRV or a Ford Ranger 4x4 with motorcycle in pickup box 99% of the time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
We walked the walk on deciding to trailer a car, dolly it or flat tow.

We decided to flat tow and we are so glad we went this direction. Too many parks we have been in just do not have much space for a dolly or much less a trailer.

We have it down on hooking and unhooking, plus, the the SMI Air Force One braking system installed on our TOAD, it is quick and easy.
Zbugsii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:25 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: We take the toad about half of the time. When we have it, we sometimes don't really need it, but when we leave it home we almost always wish we had it! The last time we decided to take it and simply forgot to connect it. Actually, the Saturn is easy to connect and no trouble except when we need to back up.

I am still looking for a good way to know in advance if we will need the toad!
Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:46 AM   #18
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
It sounds like we're no different from everyopne else. The only thing about taking the toad is it costs me about 3/10 of a mpg (9.8 with and 10.1 without)and bridge tolls are higher. For the amount I would save, I may as well take it.

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
We're in Phoenix right now, two thirds of the way through our major canyonlands/visit-the-kids tour. We posted regarding the toad before we left, everyone said "take it."

We did, thanks to all of you who responded. Because of having it available, we got to see everything we wanted to, go everywhere we wanted to. With the coach set up in a nice park, we just came "home" everyday; no fussing, messing about having to hook up every time we went anywhere, etc.

Our first major trip with the "comealong." It will be with us every time from now on. (Well, maybe except for the rare FMCA chapter rally held someplace where there is little use for one.)
Old 10-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #20

We like to site-see & go geocaching, Always tow the little Ranger behind us. Plus You never know when the little lady will say.....Lets go out for Dinner .

and little Ford Ranger toad
JH SECHELT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #21

We carry a scooter, a Honda Elite, on a rack I made on the back of our coach. The scooter is light (175lbs), rides two comfortably and has adequate power for urban traffic conditions. On top of that, its fun.

As fun as it is, though, we can't take it on the highway or the freeway. We are setting up a car for a toad and will switch between the it and the scooter as conditions permit. The only thing, between the cost of a baseplate for the car, a towbar and a tow vehicle brake system, we could easily buy a scooter with more power. At least with the car we are not as limited by weather conditions.
jupoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It depends on what we are doing. If we are traveling as a family (2-5 people), then we take the toad 100% of the time. If we are going to sports event (soccer mostly) we don't take the toad 100% of the time. If we are going to my Mom's house we rarely take the toad.

It all depends on whether there is transportation available at the destination. When we travel as a family it is typically not to metropolitan areas where taxi's and rental cars are available. When we go to sports events there are lots of friend and acquaintances that will loan us a car, or take us were we need to go. My Mom has two cars (don't ask) so we just borrow one of hers.

One last type of travel is to use the Jeep for offroading. In that case it (the toad) always goes.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think alvinc pretty well expressed it but would like to add this bit for myself.

I don't like the idea of having to depend on some one else to furnish me transportation. Also like the feeling that I have wheels to do what I want with out moving a motor home here or there to explore where I'm located. So where we go, so goes my toad.

Marty
Marty too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #24

I can honestly say I have never, (with the exception of gassing up), ever moved the motor home with out the toad on. This includes trips to the dealer for service. Half the time they will tell me that a part has not arrived yet and it will be delayed until tomorrow. My car dealer would furnish a car for me in that situation, but RV dealers just never do.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:50 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob N Deb:
we take the usual toad about half the time . it only holds 2 people so if we have anyone with us it wont work. we can also tow our Toyota pickup but not very often. if we are just going for a quiet get away wekend we dont take a tow .
Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You guys - I love your posts! Your MH looks a lot like my Pace - and I have owned two MGs - a roadster (that tells you how old I am) and a coupe. I can't imagine how you rigged up an MG to be a comealong, not sure I even want to ask.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #26

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
We took our first toad everywhere. While we were waiting for new hardware to setup the second toad, we made a couple of short trips without it. We'd never leave home without the toad again.
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:50 PM   #27

Wouldn't leave home without it. Tow our Jeep Cherokee everywhere we go. It also acts as a toy hauler for our Cricket that fits perfect with back seat folded down.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wouldn't think of leaving home without it. Driving a vintage MH you never know when you might have to make a run to a parts store. In 2001 saved us when our old class c blew a tire and I discovered that 16.5" tires were obsolete. I was running around central Texas trying to find a tire. finally found 2 16" wheels and bought 2 tires to get us home. It would have been much more of an ordeal without the toad.