Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #15

Wow - thank you everyone!!! Great input and certainly ideas galore. I am also glad to hear from some who have gone with toad and without toad and decided with is better. This is one of those things that "you don't know until you are out there" how much of a convenience or inconvenience it will be. Thanks! I think I may start the search for the toad now and get rid of the expensive vehicle I have now. Two birds with one stone.
CatWoman1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #16
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup711 View Post
Wow - thank you everyone!!! Great input and certainly ideas galore. I am also glad to hear from some who have gone with toad and without toad and decided with is better. This is one of those things that "you don't know until you are out there" how much of a convenience or inconvenience it will be. Thanks! I think I may start the search for the toad now and get rid of the expensive vehicle I have now. Two birds with one stone.

We have a 2006 Jeep Liberty for a towed; about 4100 lbs. The HHR is also a good recommendation. As for auxilliary braking, the law of Common Sense should dictate that you use one. SMI would be my recommendation on that.
Go to this link for MotorHome Magazine as it lists different towable vehicles for respective years. http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think I may start the search for the toad now and get rid of the expensive vehicle I have now. Two birds with one stone.
Yep, your S series Benz won't be towable four down...

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #18

JC2 - thanks for the link.
Ricko - sorry to dissapoint - I just have a Hummer H3 - used, at that!
Old 09-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #19

Another vote for the HHR.

It was my first choice since (IIRC) any engine/trans combo is towable. Alas, it was not to be. DW was born and raised a Ford chick and there would be no Chevy. We got the Jeep instead. Still a good choice, but I think the HHR would have been a better one.

Have fun shopping.

Steve
Old 09-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #20

Thanks SS - as I am finding out not all vehicles can be towed and it is quite interesting finding a vehicle I actually like that is also towable.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #21

Sherri, we had the same thought. I was going to post a similar question, but decided to search 1st. Purchased our 2005 GBoy Landau in June in prep for a 2011 break away. Will not FT, but will hit road 3-4 months and return to base and do small trips over course of remainder of yr. Your ? and the feedback convinced me that we have to invest in shoring up the 2002 CRV as described and investing in the necessary additions. Had been advised to consider the Blue OX Aladdin set up.

Thanks to all.

RR1
ONLY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #22
paz

Quote:
Thanks SS - as I am finding out not all vehicles can be towed and it is quite interesting finding a vehicle I actually like that is also towable.
The H3 should be towable 4-down, although it may be a little heavy. Blue Ox does have a baseplate available. Check your owner's manual under "Recreational Towing" to be sure. However, if the Hummer will no longer suit your needs once you go full-time, then you'll need to start searching if you decide to tow. You are starting early enough that you should have time to find something that works well for you.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
i just got an aventa lx an brake buddy system for 1100 i tow a liberty 06 its super sweet i went without at first this is the bomb for me plus we lug our bicycles to boot got the bar at ppl ebay for the brakebuddy !
fxdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #24

Motorhomed for many years without a tow. Was use to unhooking, and sightseeing in the rig. Then got my first tow, Wow what a difference. You arrive at your destination and after setting up you come and go as you please from your portable condo Will never RV again without one.

I have towed several SUVs, my favorites are the Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee. Jeeps are really tow friendly. I like the road-ability of the cherokee better, but the Wrangler was always more fun. I use a Brake Buddy as my supplemental braking device.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
toad or no toad

wheels, ya gotta have a toad. they are so convenient for trips here and there. don't throw away the rental money. GOOGLE 04-06 jeep wrangler hard top. it's perfect, lite weight for your mh, good in traffic and a joy to park. hard top is good holding heat in winter and cool in summer. they are a little noisy, but what the heck, good transportation easy to tow, just push the 4 wheel transfer case into nuetral, put it in park, and click the ignition key off once so as not to lock the steering wheel and ur ready to go. incidently, it's easy to find a jeep like this since they are for hobby and fun mostly. out there someshere someone is tired of the jeep and ready to sell. have a blessed day.
pawpawboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #26

Thanksk paw. I have decided to get the toad. And have thought about the Jeep!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
getting a toad

wheels, do you have a h3 or h2. is it the largest? i bet cha this is redundant, but hummer should answer any question as to the ins and outs of using it for a toad. is it 4wheel drive? one of my buddies has a late model gmc (like a tahoe) 4 x 4 he tows. it has an electric button to place it in tow mode. i would think hummer would have a similair setup. take care and have a good day.
pawpawboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:31 AM   #28

Paw - towing it isn't really the issue. I don't need a big RV payment and a big car payment, too. The whole point in going FT is to simplify life and stop chasing the dollar.