Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2020, 05:59 PM   #1

Toad?

Hi all— we just bought our 2020 Phaeton QBH in February— we have a small car that we tow, but thinking about getting a Jeep Wrangler Sport— my question is —can you tow an automatic 4x4 Jeep or does the Jeep need to be a standard— looks like every other Coach we see is towing a Jeep?? Please comment the pros and cons!

Thank you!
Mary [emoji4]
Msbourg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2020, 06:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We tow a Jeep Sahara with an automatic transmission. Transfer case in neutral, transmission in park.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:21 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Most Jeeps with automatic transmissions can be towed 4 down put not all consult the owners manual before you buy !!!

From Dinghy Towing Guide
Cherokee 4WD 3,875 None N/A Yes 21/29 $27,435-$37,895
Special Procedures: Only 4x4 models with Two-Speed Power Transfer Unit can be towed. Transmission in Park, Power Transfer Unit in
Neutral. You must ensure that the Auto Park Brake feature is disabled before towing this vehicle to avoid inadvertent Electric Park Brake
engagement. The Auto Park Brake feature is enabled or disabled via the customer programmable features in the Uconnect Settings. See
owner’s manual for very detailed instructions on shifting transmission into Neutral.

Gladiator 4,650 None Yes Yes 17/22 $35,040-$45,235
Special Procedures: Automatic transmission in Park. Manual transmission in gear (NOT IN NEUTRAL). Transfer case in Neutral. Disconnect
negative battery cable. See owner’s manual for very detailed instructions on shifting transmission into Neutral.

Grand Cherokee 4WD 4,625 None N/A Yes 18/25 $34,540-$55,590
Special Procedures: Only 4WD models with 4-LO Range can be towed. Transmission in Park, transfer case in Neutral. Disconnect negative
battery cable. See owner’s manual for very detailed instructions on shifting transmission into Neutral.

Wrangler/Wrangler Unlimited 3,948 None Yes Yes 22/24 $29,790-$43,435
Special Procedures: Automatic transmission in Park. Manual transmission in gear (NOT IN NEUTRAL). Transfer case in Neutr
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Gladiator 4,650 None Yes Yes 17/22 $35,040-$45,235
Special Procedures: Automatic transmission in Park. Manual transmission in gear (NOT IN NEUTRAL). Transfer case in Neutral. Disconnect
negative battery cable. See owner’s manual for very detailed instructions on shifting transmission into Neutral.

Actually, there's nothing in the Owners Manual that says one must disconnect the battery - I've read through it several times...
Old 06-16-2020, 07:34 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Any Wrangler that is 4wd can be towed four down whether it's automatic or standard. There are some rare 2wd Wranglers but most are 4wd. Any one after 2008 also does not have to have the key in the ignition since they did away with steering locks in mid year 2008. Some Jeep models must have a fuse pulled, but not JK Wranglers. Some of the new JL Wranglers have keyless ignition, so consult the owner's manual on those.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:34 AM   #6

Thanks to all for the info! Will definitely look into the Jeep as a tow! ��
Old 06-16-2020, 09:18 AM   #7

On another note my husband isn’t convinced About the reliability of a Jeep —read lots of reviews about it—consumer report—can anyone please tell me of any issues with any towed jeeps—as far as reliability? I need to convince him why most RVers tow them! �� thanks again!!
Mary ����
Old 06-16-2020, 09:21 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The Jeep Wranglers are about the easiest to set up for flat-towing of all the choices.

In the JK platform from 2009 and later there's no need to even keep the key in the ignition for unlocking the steering wheel as they removed the locking device.

Like others have stated on the 4WD models, no matter manual or automatic, place the transfer case in Neutral, hook up the towbar setup and auxiliary brakes and you're ready to rock & roll.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:07 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msbourg View Post
On another note my husband isn’t convinced About the reliability of a Jeep —read lots of reviews about it—consumer report—can anyone please tell me of any issues with any towed jeeps—as far as reliability? I need to convince him why most RVers tow them! �� thanks again!!
Mary ����
Like any vehicle, all you will hear about are the complaints. I have owned two Jeeps, 2012 and 2016. With over 50,000 miles towing and 35,000 miles driving between the two I have had Zero mechanical problems and one coolant sensor problem on the '12. There were some engine issues in the early 2012s with the new V6 but those have been worked out. There are thousands of Wranglers on the road so there will be problems, but they are not wide spread.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
On another note my husband isn’t convinced About the reliability of a Jeep —read lots of reviews about it—consumer report—can anyone please tell me of any issues with any towed jeeps—as far as reliability? I need to convince him why most RVers tow them!
I'm not knocking the Wrangler, but you (or is it just your husband?) seem to have some doubts about the wisdom of buying/owning a Jeep toad. I have to wonder why you want one if that's the case? Just because you see others doing it? There are other vehicles that can be towed 4-down just as well. Your Phaeton is not limited in size or weight for towing, so pick the vehicle that best suits your wants & needs.

Maybe a Ford Edge, Fusion Hybrid or Escape Hybrid? Or Chevy Equinox or Blazer? Maybe a bit more upscale with a Buick Envision? Or perhaps your husband would like a pickup truck?

https://images.goodsam.com/newmotorh...yGuide2020.pdf
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:32 PM   #11

Toad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msbourg View Post
Mary ����

I can’t comment as to the reliability of the new jeeps, but I bought our 2000TJ brand new. I have 180,000 on it and have pulled it behind the MH for over 100,000 more miles. Aside from regular maintenance, i have replaced:

Front rotors
Radiator
Alternator
Battery or two
AC condenser
And a transmission (due to my error)

I will say that is pretty good for a 20 year old vehicle.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'm not knocking the Wrangler, but you (or is it just your husband?) seem to have some doubts about the wisdom of buying/owning a Jeep toad. I have to wonder why you want one if that's the case? Just because you see others doing it? There are other vehicles that can be towed 4-down just as well. Your Phaeton is not limited in size or weight for towing, so pick the vehicle that best suits your wants & needs.

Maybe a Ford Edge, Fusion Hybrid or Escape Hybrid? Or Chevy Equinox or Blazer? Maybe a bit more upscale with a Buick Envision? Or perhaps your husband would like a pickup truck?

https://images.goodsam.com/newmotorh...yGuide2020.pdf
A JEEP is certainly not in the same category as most of these vehicles. Apples and oranges
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #13

Be careful when asking for advice about a Jeep. There are many kinds of "Jeep". Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Compass, Wrangler etc. Not all tow the same. Make sure to specify the model. Don't just ask about a Jeep.

All Wranglers are Jeeps but not all Jeeps are Wranglers.

Wranglers are usually at or near the top of the list when folks make lists of vehicles needing repairs. But alot of us have owned them for many years anyway. They do hold their value too.

I assume if reliability was something you were concerned about you never whould have bought an RV. [emoji846]
Old 06-16-2020, 08:24 PM   #14

Toad?

A Jeep isn’t your only option. Wranglers offer plenty of options for the outdoor lifestyle.

But there are lots of other options. SUVs, pickups, etc. Decide your budget, decide your lifestyle and find what fits. We tow a gen2 ford raptor. We travel with three of our kids and we love it. It works great for us, hauls everything we need, and it’s fast as heck and will outperform a Jeep all day everyday in just about every area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	923.2 KB
ID:	289907
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad