Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:12 PM   #1

Toad

I intende to tow my 2012 Equanox AWD. What problems can I expect ?? I have Roadmaster baseplates. Installed.
16wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2021, 04:40 AM   #2

Tode

I donít know if there is a special prep sequence before starting out for the day on AWD, but your users manual should tell you.

Add a charge wire from RV to Equinox. I used #10 with a 20 amp circuit breaker on both ends. You will still need to run engine for about 5 minutes, twice a day to lube the transmission.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:50 AM   #3

Tode, towed, toad..... no matter what you call it, double check what is in the Equinox manual under 'towing behind a RV ' (or something similar).

Always remember to release the emergency brake. Check to make sure that your turning signals and brake lights are working correctly and install some type of supplemental braking system.

I have used the M & G and Air Force One supplemental braking system which I had installed on the vehicle. I had the M & G on a 2007 Honda CR-V and the Air Force One on a 2013 CR-V and on the current 2017 MKX.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:58 AM   #4

There is a service bulliten from GM that modifies the owners manual for model years 2010 to 2017. (17-NA-348) suggest that you download it and follow the procedures. There is a lot of information and videos on E-trailer.com that will tell you everything that you want to know about the different available setups.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:54 AM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
There is a service bulletin from GM that modifies the owners manual for model years 2010 to 2017. (17-NA-348) suggest that you download it and follow the procedures.
I attached it but it only affects the 4-cylinder engine flat tow procedure, not the 6-cylinder engine flat tow procedure.

A good battery charge line and ground line is mandatory, "good" meaning 12 gauge wire or 14 gauge at the smallest. The Equinox pulls almost 8 amps from the car's battery when configured for towing and that will kill the car's battery in just a few hours without an appropriate-sized battery charging circuit from the motorhome.

Your Winnebago 31G has a GVWR of 14,500 pounds. An Equinox weighs roughly two tons so it needs a supplemental braking system installed as well. Otherwise you have an additional 4,000 pounds of Equinox pushing your (maximum weight) 14,500 pound motorhome every time you stop.

Per DOT requirements, the braking system on any vehicle is only designed to stop the vehicle itself, never anything being towed. Without a supplemental braking system on the Equinox your braking distances will be longer but you may not notice until you hit someone you otherwise would not have hit.

Also, your motorhome will have accelerated wear on its brakes and rotors. You'll pay for the lack of a toad supplemental braking system one way or another.

Ray
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Equinox Terrain revised flat towing.pdf (17.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-01-2021, 10:09 AM   #6

I have a 2016 Equinox AWD and find it to be one of the easiest vehicles to tow. Simply start the Equinox and allow it to run in neutral while connecting to the coach. When connected, release the parking brake, double check in neutral, turn key to OFF, DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY, the steering will stay unlocked til the key is removed. By towing with the key in the off position there is no electrical drain on the battery. If you need 12v the power port in the rear cargo compartment is always on. I have replaced my battery with a 850 CCA unit that has more than enough power to run my RVi2 brake system all day. When stopping for lunch, I start the Equinox and let it run while we are in the coach.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:53 PM   #7

Tode

Thanks to all for the response
16wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:00 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Toad

We tow a manual 2007 Subaru Outback XT. I had a dummy (no xponder) key cut and use that in the ignition - that way my toad cannot be started should any would be thieves come by and notice a key in the ignition. It also allows me to keep the key OFF but in place so that my steers are always "turnable."
94 Rexhall Aerbus [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
77Ti_o_ga is offline   Reply With Quote