Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2022, 05:33 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Toad

I have a 39' Allegro RED and am trying to decide if I should rig my RAM 1500 as a toad? I would really like to get a Jeep Wrangler, it is at least a 6-month wait for new and the used ones are selling for new prices. Any suggestions or comments?

Is a full-size pickup harder to maneuver than a smaller vehicle like the Wrangler?
jdavis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2022, 05:43 PM   #2

Well Sir,
We tow both a pickup and a Wrangler. It all depends on what our destination has in store for us. The truck we haul is an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 and, the Wrangler is a '15 Jeep JKUR. The truck weighs right at 5,300 (I weighed it at a scale) and the Jeep, not sure 'cause I haven't had a chance to weight it just yet. The coach we have is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. In all reality, I can't tell which one is back there. There is very little handling difference with the coach with either one. And, the primary reason we tow the truck is because I put a Rampage motorcycle lift/carrier in it and haul our '15 BMW K-1600 GTL-E in it. That bike weighs close to 800 lbs. And Rampage lift, right close to about 250-275 lbs or so.

The benefits of the truck are that you have a pickup for pickup duties when you're traveling. The benefits of the Jeep, depending on model of Jeep and if and how you've fixed it up for off roading or not, are that you have a Jeep for exploration when you're traveling. You'll have to determine just which one if of more value.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 05:46 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
You bring up a good point with the pickup. I could bring either the mopeds or a 4-wheeler in the bed for fun. I didn't think that the coach would feel the difference between the two vehicles as I get the same results when towing any of my trailers behind the pickup. From a 20' box trailer to a 14' flatbed with a bobcat on it.
Thanks
Old 03-15-2022, 08:04 PM   #4

I tow a ram crew cab. Not by choice but it was my only toadable vehicle in our stable. It weighs 5700 and I tow it with a class C. I dont have any problems towing it or maneuvering but I’m much smaller than you. You won’t have any problems with your rig towing a full size at all. You’ll enjoy the extra cargo space you’ll have. I don’t know if you are a do it yourself’er but it was fairly easy to do the towing equipment install on the ram.
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 06:54 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another happy "Ram toad" guy here... The truck pulls and tracks great, even with a golf cart loaded in the bed...

DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:08 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I'm a step down from you, but I do just fine towing either my 2010 Ranger or my 1937 SS100 kit car.

The Ranger is better for rainy days and hauling the bicycles or my KLR, but the SS100 is much more fun on sunny days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MHandRanger.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	359331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3635[4216].jpg
Views:	15
Size:	508.7 KB
ID:	359332  

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 02:08 PM   #7

I tow an older Ford Ranger which would be somewhere between the two and barely notice it for maneuvering purposes. The difference between maneuvering a 65 foot rig and toad and a 70 foot rig and toad are negligible.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneMiller View Post
Another happy "Ram toad" guy here... The truck pulls and tracks great, even with a golf cart loaded in the bed...

Duane how are you loading the golf cart. This is on my short list of things to do lol
Old 03-17-2022, 07:23 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
Duane how are you loading the golf cart. This is on my short list of things to do lol
Ranger,

I load the cart from flat ground and drive it up into and out of the truck.... I have a lifted Club Car and the 6'4" long bed on the truck.

I knew I would be hauling the cart in a truck bed, so when I bought the cart, I purposely got one that was lifted so it wouldn't bottom out when loading from flat ground. I didn't want to rely on a campground having a ditch or berm for me to back up to.

I researched all kinds of ramps and other "toy loading" solutions. I initially wanted foldable ramps, but what I found was that the weight limit was too close to the top end for my comfort. I asked the company who I bought the cart from what they used, and they said they bought their ramps from Tractor Supply. So while walking around TS one day, I found these. They are a one piece design with a 3000lb weight limit, which is more than enough for my use. Another thing that made these very attractive for me was they were half off due to the packaging being damaged, some paint flecked off and missing the safety straps. They are made out of aluminum, so the paint issue was a "non-issue, and I have tons of ratchet straps laying around, so I pulled the trigger.

Also, I was concerned about loading the cart while driving across the tailgate with just factory cables. Plus, when loaded, the rear tire of the cart straddles the gap between the bed and the tailgate, so I wanted to beef up the tailgate support, so I purchased a set of these off of Amazon..

As for keeping the cart from slamming into the front of the truck bed, I picked up a set of these. I just wedge the front of the cart tires into the chock and strap the cart down from the front and the rear.

When the cart is loaded, I slide the ramps under the cart side by side and strap them down. When at the campsite, I slide the ramps underneath the motorhome...

So far, I have no issues or problems with the set up...
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis3 View Post
I have a 39' Allegro RED and am trying to decide if I should rig my RAM 1500 as a toad? I would really like to get a Jeep Wrangler, it is at least a 6-month wait for new and the used ones are selling for new prices. Any suggestions or comments?

Is a full-size pickup harder to maneuver than a smaller vehicle like the Wrangler?
I tow a 5340lb F-150 with my Gasser motorhome. I used to tow a 4600lb Wrangler before I switched to the F-150. The coach and I hardly noticed any difference.
I prefer the pickup as it is more comfortable and usable to me. I can also open the full glass roof, rear slider and all windows for that open air feeling when at the beach, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F150 Toad 1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	359430   Click image for larger version

Name:	toad jeep.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	359431  

2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 12:43 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nice

I didn't even think about bringing our golfcart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneMiller View Post

Old 03-17-2022, 12:44 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Great thoughts

I would save a pile too as I already have the pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
I tow a 5340lb F-150 with my Gasser motorhome. I used to tow a 4600lb Wrangler before I switched to the F-150. The coach and I hardly noticed any difference.
I prefer the pickup as it is more comfortable and usable to me. I can also open the full glass roof, rear slider and all windows for that open air feeling when at the beach, etc.
Old 03-17-2022, 05:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Good to know. I just weighed my 16 Big Horn. 5500lbs with 1/4 tank of gas. I wanted to haul a Golf Cart but that would put the weight at around 6200lbs.
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Good to know. I just weighed my 16 Big Horn. 5500lbs with 1/4 tank of gas. I wanted to haul a Golf Cart but that would put the weight at around 6200lbs.
I’m thinking of throwing a mini cart in the back of the truck. They weigh in right at 400 pounds

Tags
toad