Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:17 PM   #1

TOAD accumulating miles / oil changes?

This is a question for those of you that have TOADs that accumulate miles on the odometer while being dragged around the country. How do you account for these non-engine running miles when it comes time for routine service, oil changes etc? I ask because I recently bought a cheap / light car for dedicated TOAD duty, a 2007 Toyota Yaris hatchback, we are currently about 1,400 miles into a 1,800 mile 2 week trip, where we have driven the Yaris a total of about 350-400 miles on day trips sight seeing along the way, yet the odometer even with the key off while being towed shows close to 2,000 miles since the last oil change which was done a couple of days before we left home.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 07:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most vehicles now use an electronic pick up and as a result do not accumulate mileage unless the ignition is on.

Ken
Old 09-28-2021, 07:36 PM   #3

I am aware of that, that is the way my wife's Jeep Cherokee is when we use it for TOAD duty, but in this case the Yaris uses an LCD display odometer which does accumulate miles with the key in the off position.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:38 PM   #4

If you never drive the RV without the toad it would be easy. Subtract the miles you tow from the odometer of the toad.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:33 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a late 90s Camry that I could access the Speedometer connection on the trans from under the hood. Maybe disconnect that if you have similar access?
Or is disconnecting the battery an option?
Old 09-28-2021, 08:39 PM   #6

I would suggest you switch to a calendar basis for your Yaris' oil changes. You say it's a 2007 and was cheap. Just change the oil on an annual or semi annual basis.
RetiredbutWorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:06 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
I would suggest you switch to a calendar basis for your Yaris' oil changes. You say it's a 2007 and was cheap. Just change the oil on an annual or semi annual basis.
I would agree. If your tow it and drive it for an accumulation of 5,000 miles, no matter how much of that was driving the toad, it would be time for an oil change just based on time. Most say xxx amount of miles or xxx days.

I have fusion Hybrid that sits in the garage from early October to late April. I do have someone who starts it once a month so they Hybrid battery does not go dead, but It gets a fresh oil change before I put it away after my summer driving and it gets another one within a week or two when I get back.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
This is a question for those of you that have TOADs that accumulate miles on the odometer while being dragged around the country. How do you account for these non-engine running miles when it comes time for routine service, oil changes etc? I ask because I recently bought a cheap / light car for dedicated TOAD duty, a 2007 Toyota Yaris hatchback, we are currently about 1,400 miles into a 1,800 mile 2 week trip, where we have driven the Yaris a total of about 350-400 miles on day trips sight seeing along the way, yet the odometer even with the key off while being towed shows close to 2,000 miles since the last oil change which was done a couple of days before we left home.
Wow,
This is really rare now days of toads. May I ask, does that Yaris have an actual cable for speedo drive? Yes, you say it has an LCD screen but, what drives it? If not a cable, then there's something that's sensing the revolutions of the drive shaft and therefore, sending a signal to the dash, EVEN with the KEY OFF? Hmmmm. Interesting Also, if it's accumulating mileage while being towed, with the Key off, I wonder what might happen if the battery positive or, maybe even the negative was disconnected.

If one or the other of those two connections was disconnected, and the car still accumulates mileage when being towed, sure seems that would indicate a cable drive or some form of a mechanical drive speedo. Interesting.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:29 AM   #9

I will check for a cable when we get home form the current trip in a couple of days
Old 09-30-2021, 02:33 AM   #10

Not a big deal if it gets changed more often than required. Either keep track of the miles towed or the miles driven in a notebook. Reset the maint required light when needed and keep track in the same notebook instead of relying on the maint light. Instructions to reset the light are in the owners manual. Disconnecting the battery could possibly give you driveability problems. ( not sure about that you would need to look into it. Possibly with dealer )
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
That's what I'd do. The Yaris probably takes 4 quarts with a filter, so you're looking at $30 or so. Once a year minimum, more often if I estimated I was driving it more than 5000 miles a year or so.

How to reset maintenance light --> https://youtu.be/7f7gCgK0Mq0
Old 09-30-2021, 10:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I will check for a cable when we get home form the current trip in a couple of days

You can forget checking for a cable, Toyota hasn't used a cable driven speedo since about 1990.

If your Yaris is truly accumulating mileage while being towed with the key in the full OFF position then it has an electrical problem that is keeping the ECM powered while the key is turned OFF. Does your Yaris have an aftermarket alarm system or wired in towing light system installed? I see you have an Even Brake system. How is that powered while you are towing? Is that hard wired into the electrical system? If so that may be your problem.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:22 PM   #13

It is, key full off, steering wheel on the Yaris does not lock as long as the key is not removed from the cylinder after it has been in the run position. The Yaris is a base model, manual transmission, and based upon a little reading it appears the odometer memory is part of the speedometer cluster. The base model Yaris does not have a Tachometer which is annoying with a manual transmission, so transplanting a speedometer cluster from the S model is popular in the Yaris community, so odometer mileage issues on speedometer cluster swap is well documented.

As to the EvenBrake it is plugged into a add on 12V socket, and there is a chargeline from the coach to maintain the battery, none of which should wake up the ECM (I did the wiring myself, as the TOAD had no braking system when I bought it, only base plate and diode tail light wiring)
Old 10-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Accumulating mileage or not, I change my oil on regular intervals and I change the trans fluid more often than the recommended interval. If the trans fluid is to be changed at 50K, I change at 25K.....cheap insurance.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad