Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #1

Toad advice

Hi,

I keep on switching back and forth between trading in my 8 year old Toyota Sequoia for a flat towable mid sized SUV or keeping it and get dedicated toad. This is too heavy to tow for for my coach.

I absolutely love the Sequoia 4x4, it's a fully loaded platinum model, its paid for and have a set of winter tires on it on extra rims (live up north).

I can purchase a small car and setup for flat tow/dolly for about 10,000$ but where as if I purchased a newer SUV it would be about 20,000$ once setup. I would also drive the car to work in summer.

Cost wise its probably a wash each year when extra car payments vs extra registration, insurance and maintenace.

I can go either way on this.

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2019, 12:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
When I "upsized" from a 30 foot travel trailer to my motorhome, I knew I needed a "toad" to go on adventures while the motorhome was parked at an RV resort. The 2011 Silverado 4-door 4x4 I had as my everyday vehicle and to tow my T-T was too heavy for the 5,000 lbs. max tow rating for my motorhome. Not wanting a third small vehicle to own, maintain, etc. I opted to trade my Silverado for a new 2016 Jeep Wrangle Sahara. I had concern I would miss the everyday hauling capacity of a pick-up but soon learned that with the second row seat folded down that I could nearly as much "stuff" into the Wrangler as I could into the box of my Silverado which had a hard tonneau cover.

Better yet, the Jeep Wrangler Sahara being smaller than the Silverado size is much more nimble to navigate the concrete jungle / parking garages of Houston and is great fun to drive! From my experience, your downsizing from a big Sequoia to a smaller SUV like a Jeep Wrangler Sahara wouldn't be much of a change.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Mike,

I did look at 4 door Wranglers but the weights I got were over 5000lbs when I factored in roof racks, kayaks and tow gear.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:04 AM   #4

If I get an SUV it would have to have leather heated & cooling seats, front and back parking sensors, radar cruise etc. My Sequoia has these already. If I get a small car (and keep the Sequoia I am not so bothered about these)

That puts the CRV out of the running, I don't really like the look of the Chevys. The newer Jeep Cherokee and Ford Escape/Linclon MDX could fit the bill.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:21 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
It’s Lincoln MKX, Acura has MDX but that’s not towable.
My MKX has all the goodies you desribed and much more.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:52 AM   #6

Thanks Marc,

It was indeed the MKX.

What year Mkx did you get? And what engine?
Old 01-26-2019, 06:19 AM   #7

The Ford Edge, similar to the MKX can be flat towed. There are several trim grades that can be had so you might find a grade that meets your needs without stepping up to the Lincoln. We considered getting a dedicated toad but the added insurance and registration costs quickly made it impractical.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:08 AM   #8

Thanks Blue ridge.

I do like the look of the Edge.

I spoke with a buddy yesterday and he reckons I would not be happy with a smaller SUV. I really need go test drive a Edge and MKX to find out.

For a dedicated toad registration would be about 120$. Insurance would 600$ (would have storage only for winter). Winter storage would be about 150$ as only have 2 car garage. Pil change 70$.

So an extra 900$ a year for a dedicated toad. Some of that would be offset by offset by using the toad as a daily driver so better fuel economy.

The Seqouia does have 2 years left on an extended warranty.

Decisions, decisions :-)
Old 01-31-2019, 01:14 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Are all these models you are talking about, manual transmission.
camcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #10

Yes, all manuals.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:47 PM   #11

I went thru the same thought process. I pulled my Lexus on a Dolly for the first 2 years when we bought our motorhome. When I decided to flat tow I thought about buying a new Suv to replace the Lexus....which would have been $30K +/-. or a designated flat tow car.......I decided on a Kia Soul, found a 3 year old clean as a pin stick shift for $11k and still have our nice older Lexus for the every day driver. Plus I had much rather throw diesel exhaust and rocks at an $11k car than a $30k car Ha. Very happy with the decision, the Kia is light weight, no speed restrictions etc. Put in neutral and go !!!!!
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:50 PM   #12

Hi Rob,

Thanks for posting.

Sounds like a great choice.

What Lexus did you dolly tow?
Old 01-31-2019, 05:56 PM   #13

I towed an es330.... basically a toyota Camry with lip stick. Great car. But now I find myself driving the Kia as much as the Lexus. Ha !.... it is a fun little car. Also I think I shaved off about 1200 lbs going from the tow dolly-Lexus combo to the Kia !!!! Added Bonus. I want to say the Kia weighs 2700 Lbs ???? don't hold me to that but I don't even know it is back there.
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcas View Post
Are all these models you are talking about, manual transmission.
I was assuming an automatic transmission. I doubt you can get an Edge or MKX with a manual transmission.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, toad