Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2015, 05:04 PM   #1

Toad Air Bag Recall

We have two 2004 Honda Elements, either of which we will use as a toad. While purchasing the 2nd one from a private party, we were told that the airbags were under the Takata airbag recall. Interesting. We knew nothing about our other 2004 Honda Element being recalled, although we regularly receive invites to purchase new cars, trade in our current Element, etc.

When I went home that evening, I researched both VIN's and discovered that indeed BOTH vehicles required replacement of one or both airbags. We had been told by the seller that the airbags had been on order from Honda for over a month.

A trip to the local Honda dealership the next day confirmed that both our vehicles required air bag replacement, one in one vehicle, and both in the vehicle we had brought in. They also confirmed that the air bags had been back ordered, and would take from one to two months to come in. I then told them that I required definitely one, and possibly two loaner or rental cars at Honda's expense . . . . ."We don't provide loaner or rental cars for this" was the reply. I referenced a letter from the President of Honda Motor Company dated 22 May stating that in the event parts were not available, "our dealers are prepared to provide alternate transportation, at no charge until their vehicles could be repaired" (I paraphrased a little for brevity). 2nd huddle in Service Managers office, then "We happen to have two air bags in stock ordered for another customer who hasn't come in yet, would you like us to install them for you? We can do it tomorrow!" My reply, that would be great, I just need a car until tomorrow . . . 3rd huddle . . . "How about right now, it will take about an hour." Poof, new air bags! Anyway, we really didn't need the other car immediately as we were going out of town, so the next week, I called and they said, "we don't have that part in stock, it is still on order and will probably be in in about a month . . . ." Okay, I just need a loaner car . . . . Are you seeing a trend here yet??? Reply "We just happen to have the bag on the shelf ordered for another customer . . . blah . . . .blah . . . blah, how about tomorrow morning?"

Anyway, for those of you out there with Honda Elements, Accords, Pilots, or Fits, and indeed ANY Honda toads, it would behoove you to go on line and check your VIN and see if they are covered in the expanding air bag recall, we are proof that if you wait until they notify you of the recall, you may be riding around in an unsafe vehicle. The Service, in an attempt to downplay the potential severity of the problem stated that of their latest info, 30,000 airbags had been replaced, and tested, and only, ONLY 2% had failed and were deemed to be potentially life threatening . . . I pointed out that 2% of 30k air bags meant that potentially only 600 of those vehicles might have proven deadly to the drivers/passengers in the event of air bag deployment . . . Please check your VIN's against the federal database for the recall!!!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Honda just replaced the air bags in my 2001 Civic TOAD. They also replaced the drivers side seat belt buckle. All under warranty recall.

Good service from Dave White Honda in Maumee, Ohio
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:27 PM   #3

Waiter 21, you reminded me, and I had forgotten to mention that on one of the Honda Elements, the one I recently bought, the air bag light was illuminated. The Honda dealer told me that that was a separate issue from the air bag recall and was likely a seat belt sensor. That's what it turned out to be. I expected to be charged for that, but the service rep told me that Honda warranty's never expire for seat belt issues . . . . Wow! An 11 year old car, and they replaced a defective seat belt sensor on Warranty? That's pretty awesome!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:51 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes - Honda is very good about the seat belt warranty issue. If your seat belt light is on and its throwing a buckle sensor code, they will also replace the buckle assembly under their lifetime warranty.

While I was at the dealer, I had them make me an extra key (its one of those with a chip in it) Cost was $50.

The Service guys mentioned that even though my Civic is 15 years old and has over 215,000 miles on it, its the best maintained Civics they have ever seen.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall, toad