Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2020, 06:51 PM   #15

Here is a swivel wheel that also tows a vehicle behind it. We have the swivel wheel 58 single wheel model and it works good for us.

Swivelwheel-DW58 Tandem Tow Carrier / Hauler Transport System
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cameo1.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	288151  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #16

OP said he wants to tow a Wrangler so tow dollies won't work unless he wants to disconnect the rear drive shaft every time he tows. In other words, tow dollies won't work for him.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just happened that an RV pulled up nearby and proceeded to load their car and bike a one bike version of the one with the link!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200604_105607[1].jpg
Views:	47
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	288214  
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninsd View Post
OP said he wants to tow a Wrangler so tow dollies won't work unless he wants to disconnect the rear drive shaft every time he tows. In other words, tow dollies won't work for him.

Can the Wrangler be towed backwards? Rear tires on the dolly, steering wheel locked in place.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Can the Wrangler be towed backwards? Rear tires on the dolly, steering wheel locked in place.
Why would you want to do that???
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Why would you want to do that???

Read post 16!

Response to post below: Great, so post 16 is not a concern then, problem solved!
Old 06-04-2020, 07:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Read post 16!
If it is a 4 wheel drive with a transfer case that has a neutral position, it can be towed on a dolly with the front wheels on the dolly. I towed my 2010 JKU Rubicon on a Tandem Tow Dolly for several thousand miles with no problems.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:31 PM   #22

Tandem towing

Hello , this is my first post / question on this site so please bare with me. I have a stehl tow dolly that was custom built into a tandem dolly with a 4 foot platform, it’s well built and I put the best American made heavy duty tires on it . I am pulling it wit a gas pace arrow f53 chassis. I am wondering if I can use it to just tow the car only, when I need to. With just the car on I can adjust the platform to get 180lbs tongue weight . With car and Harley it’s 400 lbs tongue weight , with just the bike it’s 500 lbs tongue weight. I’ve been told different things . Can anyone give me the real answer. I believe that when the car is on a normal tow dolly there is virtually no tongue weight due to the weight of the vehicle is directly over the tow dolly wheels. Any comments would help. Thanks
stayoutlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
If it is a 4 wheel drive with a transfer case that has a neutral position, it can be towed on a dolly with the front wheels on the dolly. I towed my 2010 JKU Rubicon on a Tandem Tow Dolly for several thousand miles with no problems.
Well I'm surprised - thought that all the 4WD Wranglers had to be towed 4 down or 4 up (on a trailer). Does your owner's manual say it's OK to use a dolly? Just curious.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayoutlate View Post
Hello , this is my first post / question on this site so please bare with me. I have a stehl tow dolly that was custom built into a tandem dolly with a 4 foot platform, it’s well built and I put the best American made heavy duty tires on it . I am pulling it wit a gas pace arrow f53 chassis. I am wondering if I can use it to just tow the car only, when I need to. With just the car on I can adjust the platform to get 180lbs tongue weight . With car and Harley it’s 400 lbs tongue weight , with just the bike it’s 500 lbs tongue weight. I’ve been told different things . Can anyone give me the real answer. I believe that when the car is on a normal tow dolly there is virtually no tongue weight due to the weight of the vehicle is directly over the tow dolly wheels. Any comments would help. Thanks
You might want to start your own thread on this topic. You'll probably get more answers and not distract from this thread.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Well I'm surprised - thought that all the 4WD Wranglers had to be towed 4 down or 4 up (on a trailer). Does your owner's manual say it's OK to use a dolly? Just curious.
The manual for My 18 JKU says no dolly.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Not sure about the manual, as I sold the Jeep after a couple years. I told a dealer service manager that I had damaged the front driveshaft and whether I could drive it after removing it. He said no problem. That is the same as putting the front wheels on a dolly. The front output shaft does not turn, but the rear one does. If you ask a dealer if it can be towed on a dolly, he will say no. But if you ask, like I did, can you drive it in 2wd with the front driveshaft out, he'll say yes. How is that any different than a Jeep in 2wd and front wheel lockouts? I towed it over 5,000 miles and all was well.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #27

Well,
We've owned, modified and towed, 9 different Jeep Wranglers over a 35 years and, if I recall, every single owners manual of every Wrangler specifically states DO NOT TOW ON A DOLLY. They show it either 4 wheels down, or, on a trailer but, there is NO IN BETWEEN! For the life of me, I cannot figure out WHY, anyone would want to put a Jeep Wrangler on a tow dolly, and have all that extra equipment to deal with while camping/traveling, when it's NOT NEEDED and or, discouraged by the manufacturer.

Some put their Jeeps on trailers because they think it's gonna prevent premature wear and tear on all the drive train components and the tires. Well, as stated, we've been towing Jeeps four down for decades and haven't *prematurely* worn anything out YET. This is a choice thing. If you want to trailer it, by all means, have at it, it's yours. I myself prefer to do things as simple as humanly possible as I get older. And that means, hook it up to the tow bar and the coach, and tow away, DONE!
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
For the life of me, I cannot figure out WHY, anyone would want to put a Jeep Wrangler on a tow dolly, and have all that extra equipment to deal with while camping/traveling, when it's NOT NEEDED and or, discouraged by the manufacturer.
Scott
I towed in on a Tandem Dolly. I had a Goldwing Trike with an Escapade trailer on the 10' platform in front of the dolly swivel. It worked great. No issues in several thousand miles. Not all transfer cases can lubricate properly on a dolly. The Atlas didn't but the NP 241 does.

Tags
motor, toad