RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Is there a reason you want a 4 speed? Several vehicles with automatic are four down towable, just incase you didnít know. My Jeep is one of them, and itís a great vehicle for towing and site seeing. I previously towed a 2013 Chevy Sonic which also did great, just a bit iffy for some roads you may want to go down. If you go the four down route, take a look at the Ready Brute Elite package for towbar/brake/emergency stop. Very cost effective.
I like 4 spd std. Automatics can be OK... but std is my preference.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
I like 4 spd std. Automatics can be OK... but std is my preference.
I'm not sure when the last 4 speed manual was offered for sale in the US. As far as I know manual transmissions are now 5 or 6 speed and have been for quite some time.

My 1998 Jeep is a 5 speed manual.

No trying to change your mind on manual transmission but you will probably end up with a 5 or 6 speed.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
I'm not sure when the last 4 speed manual was offered for sale in the US. As far as I know manual transmissions are now 5 or 6 speed and have been for quite some time.

My 1998 Jeep is a 5 speed manual.

No trying to change your mind on manual transmission but you will probably end up with a 5 or 6 speed.
Quite true! I simply figured that saying 4 spd standard transmission would get the point across. Number of speeds will be as it will be.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:14 PM   #18

Not everybody has a newer 3 pedal car or truck.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:22 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I certainly agree with Jan & Bob's ("scenic route") post - especially the last paragraph regarding towing 4 down with that Blue Ox setup! We have exactly the same setup and are VERY pleased. We can easily now fully connect and be going down the road within five minutes.

We formerly struggled to connect a Brake Buddy (box system that clamps to the toad's brake pedal for supplemental braking) and had difficulty disconnecting a binding and heavy Road Master tow bar ...
Old 02-02-2020, 03:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderCoach View Post
I certainly agree with Jan & Bob's ("scenic route") post - especially the last paragraph regarding towing 4 down with that Blue Ox setup! We have exactly the same setup and are VERY pleased. We can easily now fully connect and be going down the road within five minutes.

We formerly struggled to connect a Brake Buddy (box system that clamps to the toad's brake pedal for supplemental braking) and had difficulty disconnecting a binding and heavy Road Master tow bar ...
Looked up Brake Buddy. A few different configurations. If/when we decide to pull a toad I plan to have have simultaneous self-braking installed.

Although I've never towed a car or truck behind an RV; my 47 years owning masonry, concrete and tile construction company has placed me in hundreds of towing situations. Good brakes on the trailer rig are very important during critical stopping and/or off/on-again brake pedal pressures during maneuvering to avoid highway collision.

For tow behind trailers, surge brakes can work pretty much ok, as long as fairly level ground is the situation and forward motion reduction is the goal; such as on highways and other normally paved roads. But... get into a situation where very steep grade is encountered on a dirt/gravel road, wherein it becomes necessary to come to a "slow motion" stop with a heavy load on a "surge brake" equipped trailer, then braking chaos can ensue while working to control back slid of tow rig with all wheels locked up and the heavily loaded trailer freewheeling - pulling you down hill. Can get ugly... don't ask me how I know! LOL Like I said - 47 yrs masonry builder construction experience!
Old 02-02-2020, 06:59 AM   #21

I have the same equipment as Scenic Route. I chose Blue OX also for the weight. I have been very satisfied towing our 2014 Honda CR-V with this system. Very easy connect and disconnect. Supplemented braking system has one switch to turn on for towing. System works very well for us.
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, toad