Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2020, 09:01 AM   #1

TOAD - Best hook up items - For a 4 spd, on the flat

HI!

We may get a TOAD.

What would be the best "hook-up" products/paraphernalia for small vehicle with 4 spd trany... to accomplish these types of towing ?

Tow the vehicle on the flat?

or

With its front wheels on trailer/dolly?

or

Vehicle's all four wheels on a trailer?

Input appreciated! - Art
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2020, 09:07 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
For me towing 4-down is the ONLY way to go! Any other way is just way too much trouble! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
For me towing 4-down is the ONLY way to go! Any other way is just way too much trouble! JMHO
Thanks, Joe

My mechanical intuition tells me that is best way to pull a toad with an RV. Do you have recommendations regarding good brand of tow equipment to accomplish 4-down tow method?

Cheers! - Art
Old 02-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #4

Just make sure yours is flat towable. Some standard transmissions are not.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
HI!

We may get a TOAD.

What would be the best "hook-up" products/paraphernalia for small vehicle with 4 spd trany... to accomplish these types of towing ?

Tow the vehicle on the flat?

or

With its front wheels on trailer/dolly?

or

Vehicle's all four wheels on a trailer?

Input appreciated! - Art
Just be aware of the following......

Any toad can be on a trailer with all 4 wheels.

A lot of AWD or 4WD toads can’t be on a dolly....all wheels must turn at the same time.

4 wheels down on the road, or flat towing, there’s a lot more restrictions as to which vehicles you can choose from to do this because of how automatic transmissions are cooled. Read the owners manual for the exact vehicle you’re considering to know for sure. However, it is the simplest for towing.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Just make sure yours is flat towable. Some standard transmissions are not.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would go with the ReadyBrute Elite II, also called the Hercules, towbars with built-in ReadyBrake. It's rated to tow up to 12,000 lbs and has a lifetime warranty. The braking system is a surge type, very simple yet effective. I also use their breakaway system. These products are made by NSA RV Products.

I use the Roadmaster baseplate on our Honda CRV because I think it offers the cleanest look when not towing.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Just be aware of the following......

Any toad can be on a trailer with all 4 wheels.

A lot of AWD or 4WD toads can’t be on a dolly....all wheels must turn at the same time.

4 wheels down on the road, or flat towing, there’s a lot more restrictions as to which vehicles you can choose from to do this because of how automatic transmissions are cooled. Read the owners manual for the exact vehicle you’re considering to know for sure. However, it is the simplest for towing.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I would go with the ReadyBrute Elite II, also called the Hercules, towbars with built-in ReadyBrake. It's rated to tow up to 12,000 lbs and has a lifetime warranty. The braking system is a surge type, very simple yet effective. I also use their breakaway system. These products are made by NSA RV Products.

I use the Roadmaster baseplate on our Honda CRV because I think it offers the cleanest look when not towing.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:24 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have towed using all the methods mentioned, trailer, tow dolly and 4 down. In most cases I prefer towing on a trailer. I have a different opinion than most of the other respondents.

When using a trailer, the only restriction on what you can tow is the weight of the vehicle you put on the trailer. Trailers tend to tow VERY well and be can be backed anywhere your skill will allow. However, as some will point out, there are occasions when there is not a place for the trailer to be stored while you camp. You can't move the trailer by hand. It must be pulled or backed everywhere compounding storage problems.

Tow dollies work well for those vehicles that can be towed that way. Caution on any RWD drive vehicle regardless of whether it has an automatic or manual transmission. Most will have transmission damage if towed with the rear wheels on the ground. Proper lubrication is the issue in both cases. Your vehicle manufacturer is the best source of information on this. Virtually ALL FWD vehicles can be towed on a dolly. Some people have problems moving the dolly by hand and finding places to store it. I'm 73 years old and still have not problems moving a tow dolly by hand. I usually store my dolly by disconnecting it from the MH and pushing it under the back of the MH. I've never had a camp site where I couldn't store my dolly. Tow dollies tow very well and most can't tell they are back there. You cannot back a car on a tow dolly!

Tow dollies and trailers are WIDE and can be problematic in tight quarters.

4 down towing has more restrictions on vehicles that can be towed without damage to the vehicle as tow dolly. Few FWD and AWD can be towed 4 down. Research is necessary to establish if yours can be. I find that I can feel the towed vehicle pushing the rear of the MH side to side a little bit. Not much but enough that the handling is different with and without the toad.

Quality tow dollies cost around $2000 with brake controller and spare. Base plate, tow bar and braking system cost around $3000 installed. This price can be slightly less and significantly more depending on which options you choose and if you do your own installation. New trailers start at about $4000 but good used can be found for around $2000.

Tow dollies and trailers have more maintenance and storage costs/issues.

If cost weren't an issue I would tow most of the time on a trailer and some of the time on one of the other two methods depending on the destination and activity while there. As it is I tow almost exclusively 4 down because my current towable vehicle is a Jeep that is set up for 4 down and I don't have a trailer. I do have a tow dolly but I don't have any vehicles presently that can be towed on a dolly.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:58 AM   #11

Is there a reason you want a 4 speed? Several vehicles with automatic are four down towable, just incase you didn’t know. My Jeep is one of them, and it’s a great vehicle for towing and site seeing. I previously towed a 2013 Chevy Sonic which also did great, just a bit iffy for some roads you may want to go down. If you go the four down route, take a look at the Ready Brute Elite package for towbar/brake/emergency stop. Very cost effective.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:23 PM   #12

I've towed using the three ways mentioned and would agree with most of what yeloduster says.

I did pay a bit less than he suggests for the dolly and 4 down setups by finding good used equipment and installing myself. That could be an option.

Also, while towing anything it is good to eliminate all looseness from the receiver/ball assemblies. While tandem axle trailers usually track well, any looseness in that area can allow some of the back and forth toad motion described.

It is difficult to back towing 4 down or with a dolly, not so much with a trailer. On the other hand 4 down is much less complicated and there is very little to store when not being used.

We have been towing 4 down for 20 + years and will probably continue to do so. Our equipment is about the same vintage, and although there is much more convenient equipment available (we have some), I still prefer towing on long trips with a solid tow bar from yesteryear.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
In 2010 when we decided to RV, we went to a couple of CGs and hung out just to see how other RV'ers dealt with towing. For us, especially in inclement weather, trailer/tow dollies were above our(my) level of work tolerance. We decided 4 down was the way to go. Maybe your work ethic is higher than mine.

Our Wrangler was chosen not because it's 4 down towable, but because we are 'roads less traveled' types. I do wish that we had bought a Jeep without a locking steering wheel('09 & newer Wranglers), but it's not a biggie.

We chose Blue Ox base plate & their aluminum tow bar(much lighter & a 7500 lb. tow rating). Stay & Play braking system for the Jeep completes the tow package. Hook up the tow bar to the Jeep(no binding), flip a switch and our 5 minute 'lazy man's tow system is ready to roll. We also bought their locking pins for the tow bar to base plate adapters and the lock pin for the tow bar to coach receiver... Whatever toad you choose, this set up is about the least labor intensive we've found...no affiliation with BlueOx, just good stuff.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:36 PM   #14

For all who answered here I posted a or sent private thank you.

And, I do thank you very much for all the input. Copied the important portions into my RV folder.

4 down is very likely the way we'll go.

Will post or begin a new thread once this "toad" operation becomes reality for us. Gotta convince Linda... she's sitting squarely on the fence; with her eyes still turned toward the "no toad" arena. We shall see... don't hold your breath!

Tags
ems, toad