Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #15

You could mount a separate camera on each corner of the MH rear bumper to watch each side of the Jeep.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #16

There are conditions when the tires can get turned all the way and stay there. It has nothing to do with the steering wheel lock.

Its sort of like the Jeep death wobble. All is fine and something, like hitting a pothole, sets it off.

Back in the day, it would happen to our cars, while towing them to the track. No one ever heard of a steering wheel lock back the.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:14 AM   #17

Toad blowout - cause?

If the steering wheel locked to one side, they would remain locked. Were they?
Sure looks like sideways slide wear.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I think the steering kicked fully to the right at the last turn and got stuck there. It does happen when towing 4 down, under the right conditions.

The leading, left front tire was now running full turned, folding under, causing the outside edge to take the brunt of the force.

That took some weight off the right tire, causing less wear, which would have been on the inside edge of the tread.

Do a few tests by turning it all the way to the right and attempt to pull it foward, while someone watches, with the MH. If it stays turned you have your answer.
This would be my guess, just looking at your tire carcass....it's all chewed up on one edge.

Have the rest of you ever been on the road to Jerome? Lots of 120+ degree turns while gaining or loosing significant altitude. It's a perfect storm for a toad problem. I've been on it a couple of times on my motor, but really would not want to do it in a MH with a toad.

Diana, the folks honking at you and y'all dismissing them reminds me of a scene in Planes Trains and Automobiles:

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Old 03-24-2018, 09:46 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Those are $60.00 walmart tires....

Mike
Old 03-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #20

I don't think most TPMS offer actual real time pressure and temperature readings. Although most claim "real time" monitoring I think they are playing with the details. They don't actually offer real time reading but do send real time out of parameter alerts.

Here's an excerpt from the EEZ owners manual. Notice that the pressure and temp readings are sent to the monitor every 5 minutes even though their marketing literature says "real time" monitoring. It's not real clear about how quickly it can recognize an out of parameter condition. Looks to me like you could have had a problem for 5 minutes or more prior to the TPMS notifying you.

They way I read it, the system will notify you as soon as it recognizes an out of parameter reading. However, it may take the system 5 minutes to recognize that fact that something is out of the preset parameters.

I don't know if all systems operate like this but suspect they do. I would imagine that if a system provided true real time monitoring you would have to install new batteries in the transmitters every couple of days. If that's the case, you could simply have developed a fast leak (puncture) that turned in to an under-inflated, overloaded and overheated tire in 5 minutes or less.

FORM THE EEZ OWNERS MANUAL---------------

"OUT OF PARAMETER ALERTS
The sensors send pressure and temperature readings to the monitor every
5 minutes. If any reading is out of the pre-defned values the system will
interrupt the cycling and give you a real time alert, you will notice 3 things:
1. An audible alarm;
2. The red light on the monitor will fash;
3. The corresponding tire on the monitor will fash.
Press any button to switch the alarm of. However, the red light will not be turned
of until the correct pressure and temperature settings are restored to within range"
Old 03-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I think the steering kicked fully to the right at the last turn and got stuck there. It does happen when towing 4 down, under the right conditions.
I that was the case, wouldn't both front tires have the same problem? I don't see how that would only effect one side. At least the other tire would show serious tire wear issues even if it didn't blow. Right?
Old 03-24-2018, 11:56 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Good heavens - we were camped at Distant Drums and only drove the Jeep to Jerome! And even so, that road is intimidating, especially on the way back down. Driving the 40’ DP plus toad would be insane!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E6A938C7-C86E-4402-8494-A632B9B1FB43.png
Views:	112
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	196598  
DianaCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I that was the case, wouldn't both front tires have the same problem? I don't see how that would only effect one side. At least the other tire would show serious tire wear issues even if it didn't blow. Right?
From the original post.

Our mechanic has looked over the Jeep and nothing else was hurt. The alignment is still perfect. He noted that there was evidence of heating on the blown tire, and maybe a little on the PS front tire.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #24

A picture of the RF tire would be interesting.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
It’s at the shop and being replaced. I didn’t notice anything remarkable on the PS front tire, but I didn’t know what to look for.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #26

Well Miss, stuff do happen. No one hurt. Excellent! Lots of opinions. I'll add mine, if I may... The tire suffered a tread separation due to overheating. Overheating usually happens when the tire has slowly lost pressure or is waaay under inflated. The clue lies in the fact that these are newish tires and although the outside tread edge has taken a beating and the carcass has been chewed down to the threads it was not a blow out until the TPMS alarmed. (More on that in a second...)

If you look at the inside tread... it is pretty badly worn.... BUT the center of the tread is in pretty good shape. That's a clue that the tire was running underinflated for considerable distance. Eventually, it lost enough air to start dragging on the pavement and wearing pretty quick. It doesn't take much speed and with the right kind of road surface its like running the tire over one of those fancy cheese graters.

The end result is the tire wore abnormally on the outside edge; wore moderately on the inside; and center didn't do much at all. Everything gets hot and pretty soon the tread becomes unglued from the carcass. If you look closely at the center tread, you can see it is melted (like 'merican cheese on the griddle). As the outside got thinner it wore thru and thru... bingo!!! blow out. Since you were making speed it doesn't' take much to shred a tire to bits and take off body parts.

This explains why there's no other damage to the opposite tire. Alignment it OK, etc.,etc.. And the box score on the tires is 1 out of 4. So it goes back to that tire. Something went south with that tire.

1. The price of a tire, like expensive wine, may make you feel good. Does not mean that a less expensive tire is no good. And you can 'jack' the price and make people think a crappy tire is a fantastic tire. Truth is.... tires are expendable/durable items. You can go 60K miles no problem or ruin one two blocks from the tire shop.

2. TPMS is a good thing. It is NOT however a panacea. They may tell you when a tire is off pressure and/or off temperature. Nice. OTH, they usually are about 3 heart beats late on a catastrophic failure. So, always take a really good look at the tires every day. Morning, stops along the way and at days end. Not much eludes the Mark I eyeball.

3. Does your Jeep have an OEM TPMS?
Yes? well we know that doesn't work when it is a TOAD. But... we don't know what kind of mischief occurs when you put an add on TPMS on the end of a valve stem which is actually incorporated into the OEM TPMS inside the wheel/tire. OEM TPMS is transmitting anytime that tire is rotating. Could it conflict with the radio in the add on? Lets hope not.

Another issue is 'rubber' valve stems. OEM TPMS almost always have a short metallic sheathed or metal valve stem. If you don't have a metal stem and you add a TPMS to the end of that flippy-floppy-wobbly rubber job, you can bet that the whirling little bobber on the end is going to eventually cause some mischief. (Like elves, faeries, Gremlins and whisky!!!) Someway, somehow.

4. Being an 'Old' Crow, IMHO you have to be careful adding things to make it 'safer.' In this case an add on TPMS on the end of the valve stem may increase the potential for failure by putting more 'stuff' in the failure chain rather than less.

5. http://unicorntire.com/index.php?id_...duct&id_lang=1

Your tires are made in USA or imported by UNICORN Tires. I'd grab the data and SN off the tire and get on the horn and talk with their Customer Satisfaction folks. Might be covered under warranty or pro-rated if you chat them up. Or you could get lucky and the previous owner stashed the receipt in the glove box.... or maybe still has it and they bought a road hazard warranty.

Crows are natural skeptics. Not everything is in plain view.

Never forget the important bits..... NO ONE HURT! Stuff can be replaced....
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Encountered a Rubicon in a parking lot in Helena Montana. It was trailing along just fine when the coach was going straight but when the coach turned even slightly I could hear the front tires scuffing (squealing). Told the owners and they went over the sequence on the Rubicon and said everything was fine. But as soon as they started to turn the scuffing occurred again. Not sure what the outcome was a we left with them working on the Jeep.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:32 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Could be from overheating. We didn’t get a warning (that we saw) from the brand new TPMS (which has temp monitor) until the blowout.

We picked up the Jeep from the RV mechanic who installed the TPMS the day before we left on this short (110 mile) trip. I assume (??) the tire pressure was set properly by the mechanic. While there, we put another ~100-150 miles on the Jeep driving it around on pavement to various places in the Verde Valley and Sedona. It was not hot. The tire looked fine when we hooked up for the drive home.

I checked online - the OEM tires DID have a built-in TPMS. However, I doubt they were reinstalled when these cheap tires were put on. There might be one on the original spare though.

So assuming overheating from underinflation:
1) Why didn’t we get either an underinflation warning or an overheating warning from the TPMS?
2) Error by installer inflating tire or setting the TPMS parameters?
3) Re rubber stems: I specifically asked both the seller of the TPMS and the RV mechanic if they were OK, and they said yes, because the stems are short. I “inspected” the stem on the blowout tire by bending it a bit - no obvious cracks, but that’s of course not a rigorous test.

Unlikely I’ll ever know. :-(

But yes, nobody hurt and nothing $$ can’t repair. Just hoping the underlying problem isn’t something else.

Tags
toad