Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2021, 10:20 AM   #1

Toad brake indicator light saved the day!

I made an indicator light for my RV dashboard that tells me when the toad's brake lights come on, indicating that the brakes have been applied by my Readybrute Elite towbar. Leaving Death Valley yesterday after a dusty, windy week I noticed that the light never turned off after the first brake application. I pulled off the road to investigate and found that the cable attached to the brake pedal was not allowing the pedal to retract. Pulling the pedal back by hand I could hear a grinding sound like the cable is dry and there is grit in the housing. So now I have a new project, pull the cable and clean/lube it and add this to my maintenance list. Without the indicator light I might have driven off with the toad brakes applied and done some damage or at least worn out the brakes. The warning light that comes with the NSA towbars only tells you that the lever has moved, not that the toad brakes are applied so it would not have warned me about this situation.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2021, 10:47 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I put a LED light on the dash of my toad (2010 Ranger) that comes on with the brake lights. Easy to see in the dash monitor.

Just another safety item I like to have.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:22 AM   #3
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I imagine that light on the dash saved you a lot of expense.

I installed a TOAD brake pedal indicator light on the motorhome dash as well even though the standard install comes with a light in the TOAD's windshield. I am glad I did as the light in the windshield of the TOAD is not easily visible on the camera.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:23 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D20 View Post
I imagine that light on the dash saved you a lot of expense.

I installed a TOAD brake pedal indicator light on the motorhome dash as well even though the standard install comes with a light in the TOAD's windshield. I am glad I did as the light in the windshield of the TOAD is not easily visible on the camera.
I agree, I have the light on the dash, easily visible while I drive. I check it all the time to make sure it's turning on and off when I slow or stop. Another great feature, you can step on the brakes, anytime, and know that your umbilical to the toad is still connected and working, or the light wouldn't illuminate.

I know many use the light in the toad windshield, but I don't want to be distracted looking for it in my rear view camera, especially when the sun is shining directly on it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:45 AM   #5

I also have an led tail light on the dash. It is placed in a black “take out” box and wedged in to keep it placed up tight on the windshield. No glare.
tarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:46 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We bit the bullet and bought the remote brake lite indicator sold by our supplemental brake manufacturer. It was pricey, but works as advertised. Worth the peace of mind it provides.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:09 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Did you remember to go buy a lottery ticket?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:28 PM   #8

New cable installed

Just a quick followup - I ordered a new inner brake cable from NSA after pulling the old one out - as I suspected the old cable was dry as a bone and had a few broken strands where it clamped to the brake pedal. Installing the new one took me about an hour (and I'm slow) and cost me less than $30 for the cable and a can of cable lube. I sprayed the cable lube into the cable housing from inside the Jeep while I was parked facing downhill. The lube dripped out of the forward end of the housing and seems to have carried out some grit. The new cable slid into place easily and works as it should. Got about 7 years out of the original cable so can't complain too much.

John in San Diego
2016 Navion 24G
2004 Wrangler Rubicon toad
Old 05-06-2021, 02:09 PM   #9

I also added the Light to the dash of our MH. Nice to know when brakes are applied in toad without looking at camera.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:12 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninsd View Post
Just a quick followup - I ordered a new inner brake cable from NSA after pulling the old one out - as I suspected the old cable was dry as a bone and had a few broken strands where it clamped to the brake pedal. Installing the new one took me about an hour (and I'm slow) and cost me less than $30 for the cable and a can of cable lube. I sprayed the cable lube into the cable housing from inside the Jeep while I was parked facing downhill. The lube dripped out of the forward end of the housing and seems to have carried out some grit. The new cable slid into place easily and works as it should. Got about 7 years out of the original cable so can't complain too much.

John in San Diego
2016 Navion 24G
2004 Wrangler Rubicon toad
Good catch on the bad cable. Now you know it's an occasional maintenance item. Seven years was a reasonable life span.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:56 PM   #11

Just starting out with my new Hercules bar and a new MH to be delivered Wednesday.

The DL100 (which attaches to the brake switch in the toad) light won’t work with my toad because the battery must be disconnected.

The DL300 (which attaches to the lever on the ready brake) is not an option on the Hercules, only the ready brute. I called NSA and the guy was helpful but acknowledged there is no solution.

So, how can I get visibility of my toad (2014 Silverado) brake activation with the battery disconnected? Any help appreciated. Maybe the IRV2 folks have figured it out!
TFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:59 PM   #12

Excellent catch.
My old Brake Buddy Classic has a wireless notification that lights up in my RV to let me know the brakes are engaged.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFell View Post
Just starting out with my new Hercules bar and a new MH to be delivered Wednesday.

The DL100 (which attaches to the brake switch in the toad) light won’t work with my toad because the battery must be disconnected.

The DL300 (which attaches to the lever on the ready brake) is not an option on the Hercules, only the ready brute. I called NSA and the guy was helpful but acknowledged there is no solution.

So, how can I get visibility of my toad (2014 Silverado) brake activation with the battery disconnected? Any help appreciated. Maybe the IRV2 folks have figured it out!
Take a look at post #10 in this thread - looks like it would work in your situation -
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/look...ed-423078.html
Old 05-10-2021, 12:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFell View Post

Skimming the instructions for the DL100 it appears that it does not use the TOAD brake for anything, and gets its power from the motorhome. It also looks to be more complicated than need be. I would write more about how to roll your own for cheap, but I am about to head out in the coach on vacation here in a minute, trying to get our before the rain hits in a few hours.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, cat, light, toad