Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2023, 06:17 PM   #1

TOAD - Brake Issue while Towing

2008 Tiffin Pheaton 40’ cl A, towing Chevy Equinox using Brake Buddy
I left on a trip yesterday, set up the toad as normal, verified toad tire rotation upon leaving - all good
Stopped for fuel in about 2 miles - no issues
Left fuel station - traveled about 4 miles
Got TPMS TST high tire temp on toad front tire
Driver front ~ 158F pass Front ~ 140F rears ~ 110F
I was right at a weight station & pulled off the road
A trucker pulled along side me and said my toad brake lights were on full time
I checked toad, driver wheel was slightly smoking
I check the brake buddy, problem was the seat was slightly too far forward and with brake buddy off it was still pressing on the equinox brake
Not enough to lock the brakes but enough to engage them. Note the remote indicator in cab never showed the BB brakes were on.
I moved the seat back then let the brakes cool
Once cooled I resumed travel & watched the equinox tire temps
It took maybe an hour for the temp s to cool down to normal & the driver front was higher than all others for entire trip
After arriving I drove equinox. There was a slight rotating noise from front driver tire but the noise stopped when I hit the brakes. I deduced it wasn’t a wheel bearing. After a while the noise went away completely
I found a shop that could check the brakes at 8am
I had the equinox in shop the prior Monday & front brakes were 80%
So shop pulled wheels. 3 pads were ~ 1/8”, 1 pad was just about at metal
Rotors were heavily grooved. The brake shield plate on passenger side was burnt paint looking. The driver brake shield plate had fresh metal divots in a circular pattern.
They replaced rotors & pads & every thing worked fine
I deduce that the BB pushing on brake pedal dragging brakes caused the driver rotor to overheat & warp scraping on brake shield plate. Also I believe the warped rotor then further wire down pad. I figure this explains why that wheel ran a higher temp on remainder of trip & the rotating sound I heard
Lesson - double check BB isn’t too tight against pedal
Having a shop check the brakes the next morning was money well spent
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2023, 06:21 PM   #2

I dumped my old brake buddy I had for 17 yrs. I had to keep replacing my brakes every two yrs. Now with the Blue Ox Patriot all is fine. Used it 3 yrs and over 46,000 miles. No TOAD brake problems.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:59 PM   #3

Great PSA...

A dash light that activates when your toad brake pedal is pushed will alert the driver of any unanticipated braking occurrences....

Something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-75.../dp/B07MQ3FHR9

this particular switch is IR activated,

I've made a few using brackets with a plunger type switch that work as well
Old 05-23-2023, 07:15 PM   #4

Had a similar issue with my RVi2, but it was all my fault. Fortunately for me, it was my first trip out with me EezTire TPMS and I got a high temp warning. Wheels got so hot the the little center hub/emblem on my ‘13 Honda Fit toad pop out after I stopped. Also shot the caps on the brake bleeders out. Long story short, didn’t warp the rotors or damage the pads as I checked them once we got to our destination.

I now grab the brake pedal to check that it is fully released after I set the brake up.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 06:49 PM   #5

When I installed the diodes in my 2015 Equinox , I wired in an extra line on the brake light side of the diode. I ran this line to the dash and added an LED light that is suction cupped to the windshield. That way, any time the Equinox brake lights tun on, the LED on the Equinox windshield turns on. I can clearly see it in the rear camera on the motor home. If the LED light comes on and I’m not braking, there’s an obvious problem with the Equinox and I would stop right away.
Wacdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:18 PM   #6

I take it for granted that my Patriot portable has a dash monitor that shows when it is braking and how much. I've used the information to adjust sensitivity and force, also through the dash monitor.

Also, I can apply the toads brakes from the monitor if needed.
ChrisDParise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:50 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I still have and use my Brake Buddy Classic. I've sent it back to the factory for servicing a few times in the nearly 20 yrs. I've had it, but it still works great. One thing I've learned to do every time I set it up for another day's drive is to assure that when actuating the BB 5 times to remove the vacuum stored in the towed vehicle’s brake vacuum reservoir, that the return stroke is pulling the BB away from the driver's seat ever so slightly. That's my assurance that the car's brake pedal is not being pushed forward/actuated by any residual pressure (car seat-to-BB-to-brake pedal) resulting from the hook-up. If your cognizant of that, and check it every time, you should not have any problems with brakes dragging.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
I still have and use my Brake Buddy Classic. I've sent it back to the factory for servicing a few times in the nearly 20 yrs. I've had it, but it still works great. One thing I've learned to do every time I set it up for another day's drive is to assure that when actuating the BB 5 times to remove the vacuum stored in the towed vehicle’s brake vacuum reservoir, that the return stroke is pulling the BB away from the driver's seat ever so slightly. That's my assurance that the car's brake pedal is not being pushed forward/actuated by any residual pressure (car seat-to-BB-to-brake pedal) resulting from the hook-up. If your cognizant of that, and check it every time, you should not have any problems with brakes dragging.
Does the BB owners manual recommend 5 strokes for the setup? On my Patriot, unless there's a setup error, there's it will do just one stroke for setup. Only way for additional strokes would be to unplug it. Patriot is only 3 years old compared to your 20 yo BB though
Old 06-05-2023, 02:46 PM   #9

The Brake buddy will not alert of the toad brakes being on of the seat is pushing the unit against the pedal. The unit sees that its stroke is in the off position. So as far as it’s concerned, everything is fine.
Just another thing to verify when setting it up to be towed!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:00 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
Does the BB owners manual recommend 5 strokes for the setup? On my Patriot, unless there's a setup error, there's it will do just one stroke for setup. Only way for additional strokes would be to unplug it. Patriot is only 3 years old compared to your 20 yo BB though
Yes, it does recommend 5 strokes. I guess I shouldn't have expected that later aux. braking systems would require the same or similar setup routines. Bottom line is make sure your seat is not maintaining excessive static pressure on the brake pedal thru your Brake Buddy (or whichever) when you set it up.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Yes, it does recommend 5 strokes. I guess I shouldn't have expected that later aux. braking systems would require the same or similar setup routines. Bottom line is make sure your seat is not maintaining excessive static pressure on the brake pedal thru your Brake Buddy (or whichever) when you set it up.
Just yesterday, I paid attention to my brake pedal pressure prior to turning the ignition key (ignition keys seem quaint now don't they?) on my 2013 GMC Acadia Denali toad and noticed how much softer the pedal pressure is at the bottom of that first stroke.

Nothing wrong with my brake system, toad only has 62k on it and just had my twice a year GM 7500 mile service (even though I only drive it 1000 miles a year)

So, I never thought much about my Patriot brake pedal pressure but indeed the one stroke it makes on initial setup does release some residual brake system pressure.

Patriot has a tall body with a wide pad facing the drivers seat cushion. Instructions say to connect Patriot claw to brake pedal then bring the seat right up to the pad, not pressing against the pad though. Press power then setup which activates the brake and it performs a single test setup stroke. If no errors on the test it's ready to go. Of course has to plugged in.

Driven some rough paved roads and the Patriot doesn't noticeably move, it's pretty much limited in movement between the wide pad, seat cushion, and brake pedal.

I suppose in a roll over all bets are off. Maybe
Old 06-11-2023, 04:02 PM   #12

Gave up on Brake Buddy

We experienced a brake buddy burn up in our previous toad. I suspect a leaked developed and the compressor run until its cooked itself. Did not feel like brakes were coming on, stopped and checked and toad was full of smoke. Fortunately no serious damage beyond the BB, but had to make a few days travel without toad braking.

Brake buddy was overhauled and worked ok afterward. Got a second as a backup. I have experienced the BB not working randomly for no apparent reason. I frankly no longer trust the BB system and changed over to the Demco Stay-in-Play.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 07:09 PM   #13

Quote:
On our Classic, if you don't hit the Test button 5 times the indicator LEDs don't turn green and something (I forget what) doesn't work. It could be braking, breakaway braking, or sending the signals to the in-cab unit for braking and breakaway alarm, I just don't recall.

"Press until all the lights are green" is the short version.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, toad, tow, towing