Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
The problem is liability. You may never get fined for not having toad braking, but if there's an accident, lawyers will pounce all over you. Your excuse or argument will be laughed out of court.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The speed limit is 65MPH there are a lot of people that will tell you they drive 75MPH all the time and have never had a problem. In a lot of states and common sence tells you that you should have toad brakes but a lot of people tell you they don't and don't have any problems. What would you prefer having brakes and knowing you are legal and can stop in a shorter distance in an emergancy or not having brakes and being consurned about getting a ticket at a roadside saftey check or even worse not being able to stop in time.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #17

Does anyone recall what year toad brakes were introduced into the market place? Just curious.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
people tow boats/large boats without trailer brakes and i've never heard of any being fined even though most state laws say anything over 1,000 lbs.????? i understand why someone would want the brakes and why some misght not. just my thought..

I, on the other hand, HAVE heard of cases where people have been fined for not having proper trailer brakes.

But then... For 25 years I got paid to tell cops where to go.. No I get paid because I used to tell cops where to go.

And when the L.E.O. wrote a ticket under a seldom used section of law, He'd ask me to ask the Sgt. for chapter and verse so he could include that on the ticket (Section and subsection if you want to know what chapter and verse mean)
Old 10-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
....For 25 years I got paid to tell cops where to go.. No I get paid because I used to tell cops where to go.

Ah....dispatcher?

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't expect to change anyone's mind or opinion. I only have 40,000 miles experience with my auxiliary brake with break-away feature. I've only seen one break-away during those miles (not mine) and it was on a rough section of the Alcan. However, we have had 5 times, you tend not to forget these....,where a sudden stop was significantly shortened when the auxiliary kicked in. The tug is definite and the added de-acceleration unmistakable. I am sure three of them would have been serious accidents without the brake. I don't believe there is a legal defense when you rear-end another vehicle, no matter who caused the accident.
I wouldn't leave home with it.
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I have less than 20,000 miles on my motor home and I've had a break-a-way.. Thankfully the safety systems worked (Cables held) and I'm still driving that towed,, on those occasions when I drive a car.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
If for no other reason, toad braking systems should always be used for the breakaway feature. I think we have all heard of horrific accidents involving runaway trailers or toads. We shouldn't need any laws or fears of lawsuits to force us to do what is right.
RRTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Story goes, (This story is around 20 years old) that a trucker was following a poke-a-long-us on the Ohio Turnpike.. Tried several times to pass, finally got past him.. Well, the tries went like this

The driver would drop back so as to get some room to build up a "head of steam" as it were, and when there was a break in traffic he'd put the pedal to the metal and pick up speed,,, Then just as he got to the point of changing lanes to pass there would be traffic and he'd have to drop back again.

Finally he got past

Pokey turned out to be a lawyer who then went before a judge and said things like:

"He was waving that big rig around back there like some kind of cannon"

Got half a million for "Reckless Endangerment"

ANd at no time was there ever any threat, or any danger.

Now.. Think about this if you rear end me.. I surly will.

Studies (US-GEAR will provide you with those) have shown that a proper aux brake system can make a serious (Like 30%) difference in stopping distance.. Personally,, I find that a bit excessive, but..

If you skid 100 feet, and wind up 3 feet in front of where my towed's back bumper stopped..... then just a 3% decrease would have made all the difference in the world.

Do you want to chance it.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:36 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Does anyone recall what year toad brakes were introduced into the market place? Just curious.
Don't have any idea when they were introduced but IMHO they are one of many products conceived and then created a need for. Toad brakes and Tire pressure monitoring systems are convenient and serve a purpose for sure but both were put on the market to make money for some company, not necessarily because of any legal requirement or any moral commitment to safety.

Now wa8yxm, before you threaten me with a lawsuit if I rear-end you, please know that I utilize both products. However, I also still believe it is a personal decision on usage.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Batman, Im with you.
hardy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Contrary to what the manufacturer of toad brakes and sellers tell you, not many states require brakes on toads. The ones who need brakes on toads are those people who pass me up at high speeds, 70 and above when i am travelling at 63 mph on the interstates. The whole thing is, be aware of your following distance. And as for the argument about your toad breaking loose, you should have strong safety cables. I have been towing a toad for 15 years and i have not had any instances where having brakes would have made a difference. The problem is the idiot that is travelling on the interstate and does not know where he is going, slowing down instead of merging, applying brakes suddenly.