Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2021, 11:01 AM   #1

Talking Toad braking

I would like some opinions on the InvisiBrake system. I had the brake master system in my toad and RV. Sold that RV. Opinions on the invisbraks please.
likohone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 12:49 PM   #2
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by likohone View Post
I would like some opinions on the InvisiBrake system. I had the brake master system in my toad and RV. Sold that RV. Opinions on the invisbraks please.

When I looked at braking systems I was surprised to learn that the Invisibrake is not a "proportional" system but rather is a "progressive" system.

Politics aside, a progressive system increases the braking effort as a function of time, not as a function of how much the motorhome is braking. The longer you're on the brakes the more braking effort it applies until it times out and releases the brakes.

I chose the Demco Stay-IN-Play DUO instead.

I did get quotes on both, though, and the installers called the Invisibrake "a very invasive install". I watched the install videos from etrailer on both systems as well before making my choice.

All of that being said, there are a lot of people that love the Invisibrake. Until someone actually does controlled braking distance tests with different systems no one really knows how one compares against the other, though.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 07-30-2021, 04:43 AM   #3

I have the Insibrake system. Installed it on a Nissan Xterra first, then bought a Wrangler JLU to replace it and removed the Invisibrake from the Xterra and mounted it in the Wrangler. Very happy with it.
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:21 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Extremely happy with my Invisibrake. Installers don't like to connect the vacuum brake booster line...personally I did my own in two separate cars and it's no big deal. The vacuum connection is what makes it progressive. You would be hard pressed to even find it in my Enclave. Very flexible install.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:30 AM   #5

We love the Invisibrake on our Wrangler.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:29 AM   #6

If the Invisibrake system is in fact a progressive braking system as opposed to a proportional braking system, there will be times when the toad brakes are trying to hold back the motorhome. That will cause unnecessary wear on the toad brakes.

I would never have a progressive braking system. I learned that lesson back when I was pulling travel trailers. It's one of the reasons why I use a ReadyBrute tow bar today.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:38 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
...I would never have a progressive braking system. I learned that lesson back when I was pulling travel trailers. It's one of the reasons why I use a ReadyBrute tow bar today.
Invisibrake isn't a simplistic progressive system. [1] brakes are never applied for more that 20 seconds...then timeout. [2] during those 20 seconds it continually increases the vacuum on the TOAD's master cylinder by evacuation the vacuum line. You adjust the applied air pressure to get slow and smooth braking on the TOAD only. The vacuum never approaches the normal engine vacuum so there is just the amount of braking applied to slow the TOAD only. You can feel the difference since immediately after hooking up, the master cylinder still has residual engine vacuum and you will feel the TOAD applying braking pressure to the coach. After one or two pedal depressions, the vacuum will drop to normal Invisibrake generated vacuum and the TOAD only stops itself. It doesn't use a separate vacuum pump but in fact draws on the vacuum line as the intake for the air compressor that runs the cylinder connected to the TOAD's brake pedal. Once the cylinder is pressurized to the desired air pressure (I use about 50#) the vacuum stops pulling on the master cylinder. I have installed my system so that I can actually command the unit to stop the TOAD while actually driving it. Smooth and not to much at 50#.

Many have Invisibrake units that are not even connected to the master cylinder vacuum booster.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:57 AM   #8
NXR

Quote:
If the Invisibrake system is in fact a progressive braking system as opposed to a proportional braking system, ...
Second FAQ: https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produc...rake/faqs.html

As I noted before, good enough seems to be good enough. The only people I've read that complained about the toad stopping the motorhome or the toad's brakes locking up had a misadjusted system of any of the three types, proportional, progressive, or surge.

Actually, I've probably read more of those posts from people using the ReadyBrute/ReadyBrake than others due to the mechanical cable dragging or binding up due to lack of maintenance. But it's still just a few.

Others have been from a portable system where they fired up the car and then forgot to bleed the stored-up vacuum off before towing.

I do not recall ever reading about the problem with an Invisibrake or Stay-IN-Play DUO.

The Stay-IN-Play DUO also taps into the vacuum booster line on the car, the same as the Invisibrake. The installers I had quote the Invisibrake said their pulley arrangement added needless complexity to them and increased the install cost. I dunno myself.

The Stay-IN-Play DUO uses a similar actuator arrangement clamped to the brake pedal but it anchors directly to the firewall in front of the brake pedal.

Ray
Old 07-31-2021, 04:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Extremely happy with my Invisibrake. Installers don't like to connect the vacuum brake booster line...personally I did my own in two separate cars and it's no big deal. The vacuum connection is what makes it progressive. You would be hard pressed to even find it in my Enclave. Very flexible install.

Same here. When I installed mine, I was leery of hooking up the vacuum line, but the supplied fittings worked perfectly in both toads. I like the adjustable pressure settings as well.
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad