Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:52 AM   #1

Toad braking, good/better/best

Yes subjective to individuals preferences and opinions. BUT I'm getting a Thor Omni on a F-550 chassis with a 10K tow rating. My likely toad will be the 2020 Ram 1500. Yes Laramie 4wd that's flat towable. I have briefly researched base plates and leaning towards the BlueOx version. I have a BlueOx Avail from a previous motorhome towing a Jeep Wrangler. Haven't picked out wiring yet but that's easy. Reference braking I'm leaning toward a system not "hard-wired" to the truck in case I get a dedicated toad later. In that situation I'd rather not have something vehicle specific. With the Jeep I had the M&G Engineering system but the previous coach had air brakes something the Omni doesn't. I have cursory knowledge of other systems. Curb weight of the Ram is listed as 48-5300# and I'm likely at the higher end.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2021, 07:48 PM   #2

M&G makes a system for hydraulic brakes too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:04 PM   #3

Narrowing the choice

I'm going to set up my 2020 Ram 1500 as my toad but may later get a dedicated vehicle for that purpose. So rather than spend the $$ on a hardwired system, I'm thinking about something along the lines of a brake buddy. I'm pretty unfamiliar with this types except they claim to be proportional and must be put in position each towing day. Any recommendations pro or con?
Old 05-30-2021, 06:42 PM   #4

Why not try the Blue Ox Patriot 3? You can move it from toad to toad. It has an in RV adjustable pressure adjustment.

I use it in an F250 Diesel. Seems to work fine. It takes a little setting up - but so does everything.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
Why not try the Blue Ox Patriot 3? You can move it from toad to toad. It has an in RV adjustable pressure adjustment.

I use it in an F250 Diesel. Seems to work fine. It takes a little setting up - but so does everything.
That's one I'm considering and hoping I can get some objective comparisons between that and Roadmaster Even Brake, Brakebuddy, Hopkins Brake Buddy, and similar types.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:45 AM   #6

I've had a BrakeBuddy but switched to RVi3 proportional brake and like it much better. If desired you can add optional TPMS on MH and/or toad seamlessly.
Their support is very good. I had a tablet quit on me and they replaced it @ N/C. Tablet not reqd for brake operation but it does provide a visual indicator of system operation.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:53 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Iím using the RVI system.
If you use their TPMS and toad charger you can see tire pressure, charging status, and brake activity simultaneously on one screen. They also have a wireless breakaway module, which eliminates the wire that usually goes from the switch through the firewall to the brake.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:11 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm very happy with the RVi3 brake. Was very easy to switch from the Wrangler to the new Gladiator. It is much smaller than the other portables I looked at.
It's the only brake I've had so can't compare functionality with the others.
TJDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
Iím using the RVI system.
If you use their TPMS and toad charger you can see tire pressure, charging status, and brake activity simultaneously on one screen. They also have a wireless breakaway module, which eliminates the wire that usually goes from the switch through the firewall to the brake.
Questions about that system. I have an older EEZtire but having issues the last 2 times of connectivity even using the repeater. Since I'm getting a new brake system and the RVi is a strong candidate, I would consider the integral TPMS add-on. What issues have you had, what short comings or changes would you go with? Any comparisons with other systems out there? It would be nice to declutter the dash by having a single source of most of the information and not separate brake, TPMS, etc monitors up there.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:44 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The first generation TPMS (Iíve been using it since 2017) had problems. RVI replaced all my sensors and the current version works well.

Iíd like to see a universal box that would read the factory TPMS sensors on my toad and relay that data to the monitor in the motorhome.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:55 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post

I have the 2019 model patriot. I like it. Simple to install. Dw wife can hook up and detach in less then 10 minutes. Doing every thing from bars, attaching wire, brake away, safty cables, set up of the brake systemp.

Works very nice. She will disconnect while I'm checking into the campground. Most of the time we connect at the dump. She is connecting while I'm dumping. We do follow one rule. The other person alway check the hook up of the other person. I have never found an issue with her setup. She has found a few times I missed a step in the setup.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:33 PM   #12

I have a Roadmaster Evenbrake 9400, and while it works fine, I feel the design is starting to get a bit long in the tooth. The unit itself is a bit awkward to pick up with no lifting handle, and it seems it could have been designed to be more compact (there seems to be a good bit of empty space inside the case). The in cab display could also be made better, as it is designed so it needs to be mounted to a flat panel, I had to do a fair amount of engineering to get mine to mount of a suction cup arm as I did not have any flat panel space big enough for the buttons to be within reach of the driver.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:37 AM   #13

Thanks for all the suggestions. I already own a Blue Ox Avail so I'll service it for use again. From various vendors I have on order the Blue Ox base plate. RVi brake system with the 10 sensor TPMS, toad brake wiring from American Truck (it's a plus-n-play harness no splicing/cutting).
Old 06-13-2021, 05:33 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for this post, I was getting ready to purchase my first toad breaking system and after reading all the post and reviewing all systems tomorrow I will be ordering the RVi3 break kit.
Thank you all again
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad