Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #1

Toad braking system

I know this has been talked about, but can't find it. I would like comments about what braking system you would recommend. I have a 40' Fleetwood Providence and towing a Jeep Wrangler JL unlimited.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I chose the Brake Buddy Classic II because I wanted something portable. It works well for me. There was minimal installation required and it only takes a couple of extra minutes to set up and remove. You do have an extra shoebox sized device to store when not using it which to me is the only drawback.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Go with an air operated system like the M&G 2.0 or the Air Force One. I had a portable unit in my Jeep for three years and am extremely glad I changed to the M&G. It's just a matter of hooking up an air connection instead of having to place a portable in the floorboard and activating it. The original M&G will not work in the JLs due to restricted space for the cylinder, but the new 2.0 is very similar to the AF1 and will work.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
M&G would be my suggestion assuming your coach is diesel with air brakes. M&G is a one time install and just a simple air line connection when you tow.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #5

Our last motorhome was a Providence, great value. I installed and airforce one. When we moved to an American Coach we installed the same thing.

It costs slightly more than the removable ones. It works flawlessly and once installed it takes a few seconds to hook up.

I use Blueox and airforce one on our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit and love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy MM View Post
I know this has been talked about, but can't find it. I would like comments about what braking system you would recommend. I have a 40' Fleetwood Providence and towing a Jeep Wrangler JL unlimited.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:46 AM   #6

We have found the M&G system to be an excellent braking system for us. You can contact them directly and they will be able to tell you which of their systems is designed for your Jeep and should be able to inform you of a shop nearby for installation. If you wish to tackle the job yourself, they will happy to sell you a system. They should be knowledgable on the wiring necessary for the Jeep as well. Good Luck.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #7

Thanks for all the responses. This really helps.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've used a Roadmaster Brakemaster 9160 for the last 15+ years on three MH's and 4 toweds. Still using it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have used a Brake Buddy for years and I liked it. I recently changed to an Air Force One and it is amazing. So much easier to hook up and unhook. I also feel like the braking mimics what my MH is doing. I wish I had changed over to it earlier.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:53 PM   #10

For a Jeep, I'd say NSA Readybrute Elite, it's mechanical and simple, towbar and brake in one.

I've installed on a TJ and a JK, takes a couple of hours tops, just 2 small holes to drill behind the brake pedal (one is for the breakaway cable).

Steve
Old 11-28-2019, 04:25 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
One distinct advantage to the M&G or Airforce over an enertia activated unit is it wont apply the brakes on the toad while using the exhaust/jake brake. It only applies the toad brakes when physically applying the coach brakes. Plus hookup is easy and you dont need to lug around and store a floor mount brick. Just my $.02
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
One distinct advantage to the M&G or Airforce over an enertia activated unit is it wont apply the brakes on the toad while using the exhaust/jake brake. It only applies the toad brakes when physically applying the coach brakes. Plus hookup is easy and you dont need to lug around and store a floor mount brick. Just my $.02
I would think that's an advantage of the inertia based braking systems. Dont we want the brakes applied when the Jake brake is applied? It would release when the inertia disappears.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reyburn View Post
I would think that's an advantage of the inertia based braking systems. Dont we want the brakes applied when the Jake brake is applied? It would release when the inertia disappears.
I agree.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reyburn View Post

Never been a problem. The Exhaust Brake is pretty gentle and you can always apply the Air Brakes when needed.

I really like our Air Force 1. Really quick to hook up and very reliable.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad