Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2019, 11:04 PM   #1

Toad braking systems/advice

Need some advice, I'll start towing my 2012 Edge behind the 03 DP Dutchstar and I'm not certain as to which braking system to install. I've looked at Brake Buddy, Air Force One, Roadmaster's Brakemaster and not sure as to the best option. If we're planning to keep the Edge for no less than 5 years, does one of these three standout or is it really just "preference". I'm assuming the performance of the three systems is about equal- is that correct? Assume cost is factor but only a part of the decision process, with safety and performance all important. Any advice/comments appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 11:42 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I can't speak for all the systems you have mentioned. I use a portable Blue Ox braking system. That is because sometime I tow my Jeep and other times I tow a 2006 HHR. I find it easy to just move the braking system between vehicles as needed. I have had no problems with my system, but that does not mean that tomorrow I could hook something up and have the system fail. One interesting note, the Blue Ox system works perfect if you have to hard brake, but never seems to actuate during normal braking. I have not found this to be a problem, because I always try to leave lots of distance between me and the vehicle in front. Sometime, there is always a exception to the rule, and a hard brake is needed. And, I have had to hard brake on a few occasions, and the system worked perfect. Also, the system has the ability to be worked manually. No matter what system you get, they are expensive!
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:34 AM   #3

We use the M&G system and love it.
There are many great braking systems in the marketplace. Everyone will tell you they like theirs, or not to buy XYZ system. It will be connected to your RV and toad so you need to do your homework to find the best system for your setup.
Good luck in your quest.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #4

I am using the Roadmaster Evenbrake. I really like the performance and adjustability. I bought it used knowing that it probably did not work, shipped it to factory for total rebuild for $299.00. This is my second toad so I am glad I did not get permanently installed unit and since it is my daily driver I may change again.
nomad bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Toad braking systems/advice

I just finished doing a lot of research for my new toad, and found that the Air Force One is an extremely popular system. I agree with txcpl above; everyone will tell you they love theirs. Except me. I had a Brake Buddy and was never very pleased with it. Based on my research I ended up with the M&G system. Conceptually I like how it works. It’s new, so not much experience with it, though.
Smhutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #6

Have used the ROADMASTER BRAKE MASTER on three different toads.
It is a air system hooked to our air brake system and is a proportional system that works just like normal braking. The unit is 15 years old and works fine.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #7

I just brought home my Jeep liberty from brake install. First trip next weekend. So I can't review it yet other than to say that i like that you don't have to do anything with the Invisibrake (by Roadmaster) I bought. Its permanently mounted and you just hook up and tow and unhook and drive. Similar to others like airborne and stayinplay. It also has trickle charge to toad battery so it doesn't run battery down. Check it out
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #8

We have the Air Force One with the RoadMaster setup and the BlackHawk 10K tow bar along with the Tow Defender to match. We have yet to get a chip on the tow. AF1 works great and we also had the RVI Tow charger installed because the Ford Edge is a power hog without a charging system.
https://rvibrake.com/collections/sho...ant=8804388741
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Using the Brakemaster for the last few years. It works great, easy install.It only applies the Toad Brakes when the MH pedal is pushed, not the Pac Brake or RR Tracks.

I preblesley had the RM Even Brake. The Brakemaster is a lot easier to use, and no false braking.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #10

Air Force One. AFO's air compress is on the MH, so no battery drain while driving. And the pneumatic cylinder that depresses the brake is permanently installed under the dash. One hose w/ a quick disconnect on each end and your brake is ready.

Prior to AFO, I had one that went under the steering wheel. It locked up one day setting my brakes which should have caused a fire. I spent $1300. getting the damage repaired.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:17 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not listed as one of your choices....RVi Brake has been great for me.
There is a used one for sale in classifieds also.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:31 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a Brakemaster on my Jeep about 9 years ago when I bought it. I liked the spec's on the system at the time and thought I could do the install myself. Pretty easy overall and has worked great. I took the time to run a wire to the dash to power the indicator light which is great, knowing the system is working while your diving was worth the effort.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:44 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
BrakeMaster 9160 since 2004. Used on different toweds and two motorhomes so far.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
BrakeMaster 9160 since 2004. Used on different toweds and two motorhomes so far.

I use Ready Brake. Works well simple easy to hook up and disconnect.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, ems, toad