Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #1

Because I am concerned about my toad's battery discharging during long tow periods, I installed a Toad-Charge today on our 2004 Journey 36G. I decided to use the Toad-Charge rather then create a solution as I want some assurance that my toad battery and charging system will come to no harm. The Toad-Charge is made by the same manufacturer as the Trik-L-Start charger, L S L Products. I purchased it at RV Upgrades.

I had previously installed the Trik-L-Start charger in the forward electrical compartment. So I installed the supplied thermal circuit breaker adjacent to the Trik-L-Start and picked up the positive connection on the "house" side of the same relay connection I used for the Trik-L-Start (yellow wire). This connection will allow the Toad-Charge to charge when parked.

The Toad-Charge comes with cabling and connectors. RV upgrade shows the material furnished. I had to furnish the 14 gauge connector wire from the voltage source to the lugs of the thermal circuit breaker. For our 36' length the 40' wiring harness was about 10' short so I had to do some cable splicing. I cable loomed the wiring and snaked it back along the frame with the existing wiring. It is kind of a dirty job but not particularly difficult. I terminated the cable adjacent to the motor home's umbilical plug.

The Toad-Charge is small and mounted neatly to the side wall of the toad's engine compartment adjacent to the battery. It's tucked away and out of harm's way. I elected not to use the furnished split-bolt connectors for the power wires as I did not want to cut into my battery cable insulation. I terminated the Toad-Charge power cables to the toad battery with ring connectors. I terminated the Toad-Charge harness adjacent to the toad's umbilical plug.

I initially thought I would adapt my umbilical cord but decided to try out the furnished connectors. I used small wire ties and frequently tied the Toad-Charge connector wire to the umbilical cord. Thus I'll plug it into the motor home side and the toad side as I do the umbilical cord.

The 5 hour installation took longer then I expected. Toad-Charge seemed to work correctly when "plugged" in to AC power and with alternator power with the engine running. We have a long distant trip in a week so will get a good road test.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #2

Because I am concerned about my toad's battery discharging during long tow periods, I installed a Toad-Charge today on our 2004 Journey 36G. I decided to use the Toad-Charge rather then create a solution as I want some assurance that my toad battery and charging system will come to no harm. The Toad-Charge is made by the same manufacturer as the Trik-L-Start charger, L S L Products. I purchased it at RV Upgrades.

I had previously installed the Trik-L-Start charger in the forward electrical compartment. So I installed the supplied thermal circuit breaker adjacent to the Trik-L-Start and picked up the positive connection on the "house" side of the same relay connection I used for the Trik-L-Start (yellow wire). This connection will allow the Toad-Charge to charge when parked.

The Toad-Charge comes with cabling and connectors. RV upgrade shows the material furnished. I had to furnish the 14 gauge connector wire from the voltage source to the lugs of the thermal circuit breaker. For our 36' length the 40' wiring harness was about 10' short so I had to do some cable splicing. I cable loomed the wiring and snaked it back along the frame with the existing wiring. It is kind of a dirty job but not particularly difficult. I terminated the cable adjacent to the motor home's umbilical plug.

The Toad-Charge is small and mounted neatly to the side wall of the toad's engine compartment adjacent to the battery. It's tucked away and out of harm's way. I elected not to use the furnished split-bolt connectors for the power wires as I did not want to cut into my battery cable insulation. I terminated the Toad-Charge power cables to the toad battery with ring connectors. I terminated the Toad-Charge harness adjacent to the toad's umbilical plug.

I initially thought I would adapt my umbilical cord but decided to try out the furnished connectors. I used small wire ties and frequently tied the Toad-Charge connector wire to the umbilical cord. Thus I'll plug it into the motor home side and the toad side as I do the umbilical cord.

The 5 hour installation took longer then I expected. Toad-Charge seemed to work correctly when "plugged" in to AC power and with alternator power with the engine running. We have a long distant trip in a week so will get a good road test.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:19 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Good post Steve, let us know how it works for you.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've towed several thousand miles with the Toad Charge. The original 5A version was insufficient for my Acadia's hungry electrical system, but a (free) upgrade to the 10A version solved that. Seems to work great!
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote