Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2022, 03:52 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
My truck PM specifies checking chassis bolts for torque every few years. The shop did the bolts that hold the hitch to the frame and said they were loose, not finger loose but not torqued to spec. Might want to check those to.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2022, 04:06 PM   #30

I was told once to put a light coat of grease on the ball, because a dry ball could slowly loosen it self while turning.
willurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 04:13 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Drawbars are cheap... By a good quality ball, cinch it down tight with the nut and spring washer, then weld the ball to the drawbar. Could even put a spot weld on the nut to keep it from turning off. Never have to worry about that component again!
Old 10-30-2022, 04:53 PM   #32

Take a trip through NE in the winter when there is salt on the roads. In the spring you will have to torch cut the ball off because it is so rusted.
tremor2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 05:24 PM   #33

Surprised

I'm really surprised no one mentioned ball torque. Proper torque is determined by the shank size, not the ball size. The general rule is for a 3/4" shank, tighten to 150 ft/lbs. For a 1" shank tighten to 250 ft/lbs, and for a 1-1/4 inch shank 450 ft/lbs. That's not something you're going to do by yourself with a single hand held wrench. It takes a long handled torque wrench capable of handling high foot pound torque and another wrench to hold the ball during the process.
RETPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 05:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETPS View Post
I'm really surprised no one mentioned ball torque. .
It was brought up in the 3rd post, complete with image.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 06:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
What kind of a toad setup uses a ball on the hitch receiver? Looks like your toad is a trailer? What towbar equipment are you using?

Inquiring mind wants to know.

Thanks

Chris
Also, is that the correct ball for that hitch?? Looks like it’s loose and maybe the wrong diameter for the hitch.
Bonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 07:29 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
What kind of a toad setup uses a ball on the hitch receiver? Looks like your toad is a trailer? What towbar equipment are you using?

Thanks

Chris
There are a number of tow bars that use or have used a ball hitch connection. Nothing new about that.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 08:04 PM   #37

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
These are also available
THIS would be My Suggestion as well..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 08:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETPS View Post
I'm really surprised no one mentioned ball torque. Proper torque is determined by the shank size, not the ball size. The general rule is for a 3/4" shank, tighten to 150 ft/lbs. For a 1" shank tighten to 250 ft/lbs, and for a 1-1/4 inch shank 450 ft/lbs. That's not something you're going to do by yourself with a single hand held wrench. It takes a long handled torque wrench capable of handling high foot pound torque and another wrench to hold the ball during the process.
I agree, a dry 7/8"-9 grade 5 fastener with dry threads requires about 430 ft-lbs of torque to generate full clamp load. A 7/8" fine thread would require even greater torque. It takes a good deal of effort to achieve this torque with a 4ft long torque wrench, let alone a 2 ft long box end wrench.
Todd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 08:47 PM   #39

Quote:

Thanks

Chris
Old school tow bars.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:31 PM   #40

I'm with bigb56- at least if I understand his posts correctly. From your photo the ball is at a significant angle. It looks like the shank diameter is too small for the size of hole in the receiver. If so the ball will work back and forth until it finally loosens itself. Buy a new ball with a shank size that matches the hole in the receiver. It the receiver hole has worn and allows play, buy a new receiver. Torque it nice and tight per specs if they are given on the ball instructions. Sure- you can use blue Loctite so you can get it apart later.

And yes- I tow a Honda Accord using a Stowmaster 5000 with a ball hitch.
Tindalsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 06:22 AM   #41

I had the same thing happen, tightened the ball and after a few days it would become loose again. The issue (as stated above) was that the ball shaft is too small so it always works itself lose. The receiver hitches come in more than one size. Once I found the correct size it now always stays tight.
watking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:02 AM   #42

Thor Owners Club
As a young man I had a 2" ball hitch shear off while towing a trailer. The safety chains held for a few seconds then broke as well. It was unnerving to watch my trailer pass me by on the freeway.

Do your pre trip inspections, for everyone's safety!
jgbram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad