Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2022, 09:19 AM   #43

Dedicated Hitch

I have a dedicated hitch for my various needs. I ALWAYS weld the nut to the hitch and never have a problem. Cheap insurance to have a dedicated hitch.

I also weld the bolts on my winch after I had an entire winch with bumper stolen. Since welding it and the winch to the frame and bumper, no problem.

Tack welding is much better than thread lock.

It's much safer to have to cut off a weld than having the bolt either come off or be stolen. Sure a thief can also cut then off, but how many thief's carry around a battery operated cut-off grinder or saws-all and how many want to chance making that much noise?
kendall69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2022, 02:51 PM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
flat and lock washers and blue locktite

A flat washer, lock washer, and blue locktite should prevent a reoccurance. Use a long handle torque wrench of you have one.

Do not use red or you will never get it off again. A torque wrench might be a
Old 11-01-2022, 10:48 AM   #45

Unfortunately, we are now living in an era of high crime, bad manners and among those whom think it's funny to mess with your stuff. Someone pulled the retaining pins for the ramps on my trailer while parked at an auction. I wasn't more than 75 feet from it inside the building. My practice was and is to do a complete walk around after parking, and before hitting the road again. One item which I never thought necessary to recheck after leaving home were the loop lock type pins on my ramps. I was incorrect. At the first stop light after leaving the auction, one ramp came crashing down. Fortunately, nobody was behind me or it would have remodeled their hood. Both pins were taken.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:51 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanwwelsh View Post
4 weeks into a road trip. Heading out for new day and just finished up toad brake check etc. and was doing my last walk around and noticed the hitch ball was at an angle. It had come loose. I had personally torqued this down on installation 8 months ago using a 2' closed end wrench just for this purpose. Very surprised it unscrewed. Never have had this happen in many years of towing toads, boats and trailers. In fact, I have often struggled to get a ball OFF when needed to change. I was also surprised & disappointed I didn't notice it when I took the toad off. I will be replacing the lock washer as soon as I get into a town that has one of this size. Anyway, something to watch for. And yes, I know if I had one of those fancy tow bars this would not be an issue...
When you torqu a nut use a torque wrench set to the proper spec depending on the stud size, an us a couple of drops of RED LOCTITE!! The nut will not come loose.
almacd1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 06:17 PM   #47

We don't have a ball in our towing setup but from years of towing boats from 17' to 30' I can tell you two things will cause the ball to loosen. First, the ball shack is smaller than the hole in the bar. Second not using a good quality lock washer that will dig into the nut and the hitch. A third less common cause is corrosion on the ball and ball coupler that will cause the ball coupler to actually loosen the ball.
VentanaOdyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:13 PM   #48

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
I have seen this on boat trailers. There is a nut under the coupler and if it has been tightened to much it will clamp on the ball and want to twist it when you turn especially if there is no lubricant on the ball. This happens on boat trailers because there tends to be a lot of rust in the coupler from sitting in damp environments. Near the ocean is the worst.
A tack welded ball shank and plenty of grease works.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:03 AM   #49

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
From the angle of the ball stud in the hitch, it appears the hole for the stud has been enlarged over time. It may have not been at proper tighness initially and slowly enlarged itself over time from start-stop movement. It’ll feel tight by hand shaking it, but with the weight of the trailer yanking it back & forth it was moving slightly. You may have not noticed it visually at first, it will be subtle, but then on one trip it escalates and you caught it in time before it fell off. Had it happen to me, nobody is perfect. Time to buy a whole new hitch bar & ball.

If the hitch is a dedacated one, take it to a hitch shop and have them torque it down and do a tack weld.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:33 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
4 weeks into a road trip. Heading out for new day and just finished up toad brake check etc. and was doing my last walk around and noticed the hitch ball was at an angle. It had come loose. I had personally torqued this down on installation 8 months ago using a 2' closed end wrench just for this purpose. Very surprised it unscrewed. Never have had this happen in many years of towing toads, boats and trailers. In fact, I have often struggled to get a ball OFF when needed to change. I was also surprised & disappointed I didn't notice it when I took the toad off. I will be replacing the lock washer as soon as I get into a town that has one of this size. Anyway, something to watch for. And yes, I know if I had one of those fancy tow bars this would not be an issue...
Looks like the hole has been walled out or was too big to start with. I would check it out.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 03:21 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Well, there you go, you answered allot of our questions. Now you just need to put that check on your monthly or even every other RV Trip Checklist.
good thing you caught it before your toad passed you going down the road.

Tags
toad