Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2017, 05:49 AM   #1

Toad conundrum

Morning all,

My 4wd Toyota 4 runner is not flat towable without a driveline disconnect kit and my wife's VW sedan is AWD. My wife is making grumbling about getting a convertible, but it would have to be AWD for use in our Northern winters if it was her only automobile (her car lease is up in 4 or 5 months, the 4 runner is paid for).

1. Setup 4 runner for towing.

2. Change 4 runner to something flat towable.

3. 2wd convertible as toad and purchase her existing AWD or get a small used SUV for winter use.

4. Get a small SUV for towing and winter and a used convertible for her to drive the rest of the year.

5. Keep what we have and get an older convertible/corola/smart car for towing.

My coach is a 2005 f53 with a 5k hitch, the 4runner weights 4675lbs, that does not leave much weight for the towing setup.

I appreciate any advice,

Cheers,

Stephen
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2017, 05:54 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jeep wrangler is comvertible 😁
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
Jeep wrangler is comvertible 😁
I tried that on her already, no dice :-)

Of course another option is to get her an older convertible for towing, I get that Tundra I want and she can drive the 4 runner in winter;-)
Old 06-17-2017, 06:16 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
In my family i am always the one with the oldest vehicle
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:21 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We were towing our Chrysler Sebring convertible and using a Remco pump. We just outfitted our 2007 Lexus GX470 to tow flat (believe it's the same vehicle as your Toyota). Lexus and does NOT want you to tow it 4 down but there are LOTS of people doing it. I've read this on posts here and actually ran into someone doing it a few years ago. As I understand the last tow-able year is 2007. The SUV is now set to tow, I'll post my experience when we take our first trip which is scheduled for September.
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
In my family i am always the one with the oldest vehicle
Same here Monty:-)
Old 06-17-2017, 07:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmsp View Post
We were towing our Chrysler Sebring convertible and using a Remco pump. We just outfitted our 2007 Lexus GX470 to tow flat (believe it's the same vehicle as your Toyota). Lexus and does NOT want you to tow it 4 down but there are LOTS of people doing it. I've read this on posts here and actually ran into someone doing it a few years ago. As I understand the last tow-able year is 2007. The SUV is now set to tow, I'll post my experience when we take our first trip which is scheduled for September.
I will be interested to hear how you get on with it Pat.

To be honest I think the 4runner might be a bit much for my old rig to tow.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #8

1stMH-

I'd get a 2014-or-older Honda CRV.

Had the 4x4 convertible. Was nice on warm days in Summer, but otherwise not comfortable or safe.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #9

Convertible now. New husband later.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Replace the 4-Runner with one of the GM AWD SUVs. Most of those are towable, e.g. Acadia, Terrain, Equinox, etc. Or maybe a Jeep Cherokee or Ford Explorer AWD. Or get yourself a 4WD pick-up to replace the 4-runner.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
I tried that on her already, no dice :-)

Of course another option is to get her an older convertible for towing, I get that Tundra I want and she can drive the 4 runner in winter;-)
Well Richard,
You've got plenty of answers and suggestions here. May I ask, what's her "beef" with obtaining a Jeep for towing? Has she ever been in one? Is it that she thinks ALL JEEPS have to look like monster rock crawlers and are 8' off the ground? Or does she think that Jeeps are too primitive? I don't mean to pry here but, if she's really not up to date on at least some of the bennies of a Jeep, she might be prematurely ruling them out, without at least an attempt at learning or, understanding the many benefits.

The most important being that, there's ZERO modifications to the driveline for towing. Second, Jeep Wranglers are a LEGO vehicle. In that, the doors come off easily for added adventure, the top, especially the soft top, is VERY easily removable for "Convertible" operations. The hard top is also removable but, not quite as easy as the soft version. It's a utilitarian vehicle in that, it, by hundreds of thousands out here in RV land and regular owners, use a Wrangler for everything under the planet.

The newer versions, as in the "JK" model, are substantially better than any other version for multiple reasons. I won't go into any but, suffice to say, talk to any Jeep owners that have had previous versions and the JK model and you'll find about 99.99999% of them appreciate the JK over the earlier versions considerably.

I won't go on any further. If she's pretty much made up her mind AND YOURS, then it's a moot point. We've owned NINE Jeeps, not including TWO Grand Cherokees.

Both of us especially love the ease of hook-up and disconnect when towing is involved. About 1 minute, LITERALLY, and we're hooked up and ready to travel. Your (or her) choice. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Richard,
You've got plenty of answers and suggestions here. May I ask, what's her "beef" with obtaining a Jeep for towing? Has she ever been in one? Is it that she thinks ALL JEEPS have to look like monster rock crawlers and are 8' off the ground? Or does she think that Jeeps are too primitive? I don't mean to pry here but, if she's really not up to date on at least some of the bennies of a Jeep, she might be prematurely ruling them out, without at least an attempt at learning or, understanding the many benefits.

The most important being that, there's ZERO modifications to the driveline for towing. Second, Jeep Wranglers are a LEGO vehicle. In that, the doors come off easily for added adventure, the top, especially the soft top, is VERY easily removable for "Convertible" operations. The hard top is also removable but, not quite as easy as the soft version. It's a utilitarian vehicle in that, it, by hundreds of thousands out here in RV land and regular owners, use a Wrangler for everything under the planet.

The newer versions, as in the "JK" model, are substantially better than any other version for multiple reasons. I won't go into any but, suffice to say, talk to any Jeep owners that have had previous versions and the JK model and you'll find about 99.99999% of them appreciate the JK over the earlier versions considerably.

I won't go on any further. If she's pretty much made up her mind AND YOURS, then it's a moot point. We've owned NINE Jeeps, not including TWO Grand Cherokees.

Both of us especially love the ease of hook-up and disconnect when towing is involved. About 1 minute, LITERALLY, and we're hooked up and ready to travel. Your (or her) choice. Good luck.
Scott
Who is Richard?

She has no beef with jeeps for towing, she prefers cars. I did drive a jeep a while back, it was nice.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
Convertible now. New husband later.
Is that your personal experience?
Old 06-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
1stMH-

I'd get a 2014-or-older Honda CRV.

Had the 4x4 convertible. Was nice on warm days in Summer, but otherwise not comfortable or safe.
That's good to know the 2014 is flat towablw.

Tags
toad