RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:59 PM   #1

Toad Dilemma-suggestions?

Bought a 97 Thomas Built Skoolie conversion and want to tow our van (2006 Dodge Caravan). I've done a little research and realize this is going to be a real pain. First, I'm a disabled veteran, and all that hook up and strapping, etc, seems to be an obstacle for me. But I don't want us to be without a vehicle if something happens to the bus, but man, the COST of a tow dolly and the lube pump/wires/brakes, and the COST of an auto transport trailer. Damn.

I'd sell the van and get a scooter or 4 wheeler, or whatever, but i still owe payments on this car for a year.

I'm trying to find some solution instead of having no Toad.

I welcome any thoughts on the matter.

jaebaeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 11:17 PM   #2

First off

Can you let us know where you are located please. In three weeks or so my wife and I are planning to head south into Arizona and if close we could get involved.

If you care to you can PM me your phone number and we can talk.

Dennis

Dennis and Irene and Mizzie (The Incredible) living as Full Time RV Mutants #176
"Duchess" a 40 foot Newmar Dutch Star 4095 + "Duke" a GMC Terrain Towed
Eez Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:36 AM   #3

Old 02-14-2020, 06:41 AM   #4

You don’t want to be dealing with trailer or tow dollies in your situation. Short term have someone else drive the van separately. Long term get a toad capable of flat towing with no mods other than the minimal; lights, brake, tow bar.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:21 AM   #5

I feel your problem is going to be hard to solve my friend, and I feel sorry for you. In my personal opinion towing a vehicle with all four tires on the ground is the only way I would tow one. But kid you not, it is expensive.

Another thing to think about is whether or not your conversion bus can safely/legally handle the weight of a toad especially not knowing the condition of your conversion bus. Remember that 2006 Dodge Van probably weighs close to 4,000 pounds.

I'm afraid you don't have and good suggestions or answers for you. I wish you luck and be safe
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
You don’t want to be dealing with trailer or tow dollies in your situation. Short term have someone else drive the van separately. Long term get a toad capable of flat towing with no mods other than the minimal; lights, brake, tow bar.

Yeah, i think the towing will be an issue to avoid. Might have to park van at friend's house and use it once a month when we come back here for my medical/allergy shot appts. Driving separately probably won't be doable either. Kind of defeats the point of all traveling in a bus together.
Hmm.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I feel your problem is going to be hard to solve my friend, and I feel sorry for you. In my personal opinion towing a vehicle with all four tires on the ground is the only way I would tow one. But kid you not, it is expensive.

Another thing to think about is whether or not your conversion bus can safely/legally handle the weight of a toad especially not knowing the condition of your conversion bus. Remember that 2006 Dodge Van probably weighs close to 4,000 pounds.

I'm afraid you don't have and good suggestions or answers for you. I wish you luck and be safe

It's a 97 Thomas Built, and they towed a car with it. It has a hitch, but then again, not sure of the weight of what they towed. Yes, this is quite a problem to solve.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #8

Correction. I said i BOUGHT the bus, but haven't actually bought it yet. Just a verbal commitment that we're serious buyer and it's our first choice.
So i'm not locked in.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

There no inexpensive solutions to towing a car, just some that cost less than others.

4-down towing is the most convenient/easy, so best suited for a disabled vet. And the most expensive as well. You can save some money by shopping for used components, but it may take awhile. Plus there is still wiring and installation labor. And buying a replacement for the van besides.

The Dodge van requires a dolly and you can find used ones most everywhere, but then you have to be spry enough to do the work. It's not terrible, but it's a chore. Especially in bad weather or surface conditions. Young guys say it's easy, but us older or physically limited people have a somewhat different opinion. You can pick up a used dolly with brakes and in decent shape for around $750-$1000.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad