Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Toad - Honda CRV v. Fit Sport stick - Which is better?

In mid-November, we bought our 2011 Ventana 3433 and will be buying our toad in the spring. We like the idea of the Honda Fit Sport stick, mainly because of the interior space, lighter weight and fun factor to drive, but would greatly appreciate comments -- pro and con -- of both CRV and Fit Sport as preferred toad, as well as recommendations about tow equipment (we see many favorable iRV2 comments on Blue Ox).

Also is the 65 mph speed limit on the toad from Honda a "manufacturer's recommendation" or is it something you should really pay strict attention to?

All comments will be greatly appreciated!
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
CR-V has a slight amount of off road capability if you get the AWD models. The Fit, well, it's so low a large puddle will take care of it.
Personally I'd get the CR-V, but I've never driven either the Fit or CR-V. We've owned almost nothing but Honda's since 1988 (other than the RV's and a '97 Jeep GC). Loved the Jeep to tow four down!
Kind of looking to get a CR-V for our next vehicle or a Jeep diesel if I can find one. There's one for sale locally but I'm not ready to go for it yet.
I only use RoadMaster because they use Finite Analysis to find and correct load points. I don't think and of the other companies do. AS a retired engineer I like strong, tested components.
Why do you want to go faster than 65?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We were seriously considering a FIT - until we compared the bottom clearance of the RV to the FIT. It was kind of ridiculous. First unexpected bump or curb we would have taken out the bottom of the FIT. With that in mind we chose a Jeep Wrangler. And have never regretted it. As new RVers - we have dragged our Jeep over many curbs.
denNdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #4

The CR-V we bought this past spring is our first Honda. It's the first "small car" I've owned in 40 years. It was picked from the others because of it's weight (I had a 5500+ pound truck that was capable) and utility. I liked the idea of the AWD system and available ground clearance because we like to 2 track on occasion, but we were really needing something we could carry the dogs around in, and use on longer sight seeing runs once the motor home was parked. To make this a little shorter, we flat love it. Even when at home, it's often driven as the vehicle of choice, leaving a late model Impala and a Dakota in the garage....
Old 12-08-2011, 05:10 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I have to say that the more I hear from others, the more I am inclined toward the CRV. I definitely don't want a car too low so that it does not easily meet up with MH and cause unnecessary problems. Almost without exception, the reviews of the CRV by people who use them as toads are excellent.

I see that Honda has done some restyling for 2012 in the CRV and made it a bit quieter, yet held the price. Nothing bad about that picture.

The 2012 looks more and more like the one to lean toward.

Does anyone report any problems at all with towing the CRV when speeds go over the Honda recommended 65 mph? I realize that over 65 in MH costs a real penalty in fuel, but as we all know, there are times when it is just necessary -- and even prudent -- to go at a higher speed for a period of time on the highway.

Any comments on this aspect will be appreciated.
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:49 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
....Why do you want to go faster than 65?
OMG! Here we go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post

Does anyone report any problems at all with towing the CRV when speeds go over the Honda recommended 65 mph?
Can't speak to a CR-V, but I tow my Exploder at 68-72 all the time...No issues.
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Smile

I tow a Honda CRV using the Blue OX tow bar and US Brake system. Took a 60 day tour (7000 miles ) out West last summer and had no issues whatsoever, even with exceeding 70mph on expressways.Wanted a Jeep but deceided on the CRV due to the Jeeps harsh ride. FWIW I vote fro the Honda !
Paulandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Honda Fit (automatic) wins for me after having considered the CRV and more importantly after having flat towed the Fit for over 20,000 miles!! None of the problems predicted by the above posters ever happened! I even drove the Fit off road in the deep dirt on the trails in Monument Valley on the Indian Reservation and had no problem. Took my big dogs (90lbs) to Honda dealer to try them out on both CRV and Fit and Fit was by far the best for interior room w. seats folded down. Both the dogs backs and my back appreciate the low load in height. The gas mileage of my Fit is huge (on hwy 40+!! and in town 33-35) and beats the CRV by alot. Also the mileage on my RV is probably better since the Fit only weights about 2,600 lbs. I tow with a surge brake tow setup from Ready Brute.Readybrake RV Tow Bars and RV Surge Braking Systems for Car Towing - NSA RV Products None of the other RVers towing a Fit I have talked to about it have had any problems and are thrilled with the Fit. As for the speed limitations -- all manufacturers that allow flat towing seem to have a similar restriction. I have towed mine many times above the 65 limit (at 70-75) w/o problems. But really for RV safety and mpg w. or w/o towing 65 is best as an average max IMHO.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #9

Regarding the 2012 CR-V, unless there's been a new development, I understand the new trans they decided to use will no longer support 4 wheel down towing. As we're considering replacing the one we have now (after finding we love it!) I'd like to hear that I've misunderstood?
Old 12-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #10

I too am towing a 2010 Honda Fit Sport with automatic. I live in the mountains of Pa. and have never had any problems getting around in the Fit.
It gets much better mileage, has more storage room and is a much better performer in all around driving that the CR-V.

I recommend the Fit.

Mike
Mtn.Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #11

Deek,
Well Sir, here's our story.
We've contemplated a CRV to replace our Jeep Rubicon as a toad. After talking to many folks on RV forums, and personal experiences, we finally decided on a CRV. We test drove an Equinox and while it was nice, fairly quiet, seemed to get decent gas mileage, I simply liked the looks and features of the CRV better. Now, bear in mind here, since we made a decision late in the year, as in about a month and a half ago, the "top of the line" CRVs, 2011s that is, are all but GONE!

We took a look at the pics and write ups of the 2012 models and, it looked really good to us. We liked the changes in the body lines from all aspects. We liked/like the interior too. Honda has a problem with change though, it's still going to use the 5 speed trans, it's been using for quite some time. While almost all others in the CRVs class, Ford Escape, Chev Equinox, GMC Terrain, etc. have all changed to 6 speeds in their auto trannies, Honda refuses to and keeps the 5. I guess they know what they're doing. It works.

Now, here's the deal. Honda, claims the 2012s will go on sale the 15th of Dec. But, in several conversations with dealers up and down the CA coast, NO ONE, and I mean NO one is sure just when the 12s will show up. Some will claim a date but, there's no guarantee. And, I've emailed no less that two of the base plate makers for the 2011s and below and no one has any templates, designs, or ideas for base plate for the 2012 model CRV.

So, that basically convinced us to go for an '11. Well, because we were used to 4WD for decades, we wanted a 4WD CRV and, the wife's Grand Cherokee Overland is the top of the line Jeep and has every bell and whistle that's ever been invented. Some high end cars don't have what this thing's got on it. So, we wanted the CRV to be as equally equipped as we could get, to at least try and equal SOME of the departing Grand Cherokee.

Well, after a month straight of searching Craigslist, for a quality used one, THERE ISN'T ANY that were within our grasp, or, if any was found, it was several states away and had a zillion miles on it even though it was a very late model year. So, that lead us to a new one. Again, we searched for over a month. We called and emailed several dealerships in the state of CA and as of yesterday, the 7th of Dec, there were TWO, 2011, Honda CRVs, EX-L, 4WD W/NAV left in the state. We, had already done several test drives, talked to numerous sales people, and were well versed on all the attributes of the CRV so, a decision was made from 340 miles away from the closer one to us.

We sent a deposit over the phone and went up that day, yesterday, and picked up One of the last two, remaining, 2011, Honda CRVs, EX-L with 4WD and Navigation in the state of CA. We don't know how many of that model are left in other states. But, because of the uncertainty of delivery dates of the 2012, and the fact that no one tow bar business is prepared for the selling of the base plates for it, we jumped on the it. We love it so far. We drove it home today, 340 miles, and it was a very nice, quiet, pleasurable ride. The dash indicated between 28 and 29 mpg, at around 68-72 mph with the cruise on the entire way.

The navigation model also comes with blue tooth stuff so all the wife's phone stuff is taken care of. It took the salesman about 2 minutes to explain how all of it worked, piece of cake. We have 400 miles on the tank right now and it turned the fuel light on in our drive way. Guess we'll have to buy our first tank of gas tomorrow for it. Now, it's time to hunt down a tow bar, base plate and all the accessories for towing needed. I think you'd love the CRV, we're tickled to death with it so far.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn.Mike View Post
I too am towing a 2010 Honda Fit Sport with automatic. I live in the mountains of Pa. and have never had any problems getting around in the Fit.
It gets much better mileage, has more storage room and is a much better performer in all around driving that the CR-V.

I recommend the Fit.

Mike
Comparing a Fit to a CRV is like comparing an Accord to an Acura TL.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Comparing a Fit to a CRV is like comparing an Accord to an Acura TL.
Not an appropriate comparison. Accura TL is a dressed up Accord. The CRV and Fit are completely different vehicles designed for different markets and purposes and only cross here because of the flat tow capability. If you want awd and perhaps more metal around you and perhaps a bit more plush surroundings pick the CRV -- if you want astounding mpg (5-10 on average better than the CRV (remember gas at $4), great interior space and incredible handling (Road and Track reported a couple of years ago that in its test the Fit did the lane change manuver at 80 mph fast than a Lamborinie) then you might want the Fit. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbs2320 View Post
Road and Track reported a couple of years ago that in its test the Fit did the lane change manuver at 80 mph faster than a Lamborgini...
Perhaps I need to take another look at a Fit...
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad