Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Toad Impact

So soon I'll be joining the toad world. Towing a Sonic 4 down.

I got to thinking about some of the places I've driven without the toad and started to realize that places like my local filling station may be a problem now, it has a hump to enter and exit that wasn't much of a concern if approached it slow and at an angle. But how will it be with a car behind? I am starting to realize that the large fueling stations like Fred Myer and TA etc. are all an even approach from the road whereas the small Gas/Diesel stations for some reason have this hump. Gonna have to learn, a new way to approach or maybe the angle is still the way? What do you do when you approach/leave a raised road?
Of coarse backing up will be out of the picture but what about turning? My 32' coach turns tighter than rolly polly bug when you touch it. How much radius will I have now. Can I still make sharp turns? How Sharp?

This will be a new way of driving for me and I welcome it in exchange for the freedom of travel after setting up camp.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2020, 02:02 PM   #2

I examine all entrances to wherever I’m looking at going with the motorhome.
If I have to enter at an angle, so be it, just realllllllllly slow.
As far as turning......get yourself hooked up, go to a big empty parking lot, and start making figure 8’s as tight as you can. Stop every few feet, and go out and really look at the clearance issues with your tow bar and your toad.
I can do maximum full lock turns in either direction without concerns.
35 foot (bumper to bumper) with tow bar to ~ 15 foot GMC Terrain and all works well.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:35 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
kenandterry

Thanks fo the suggestion.

I Plan on doing exactly that. But with someone on the outside watching.

I'm hoping I wont need a drop hitch so my rear clearance stays the same.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I examine all entrances to wherever I’m looking at going with the motorhome. ....
I agree and it is lots of things including propane.

I use gas buddy and google maps to plan a trip but always have plenty of fuel to go down the road to another station if it is too tight.

I like Sam's Club and Walmart because they have large parking lots and can get all the shopping done at the same time.

I can fuel diesel from either side but propane only on one side. I have found that some TSC stores and tool rental are set up so you do not have to back up. Some list the price on line. Saved $45 knowing that TSC store 100 miles down the road in a different state had propane for $2 less a gallon.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDiesel View Post
So soon I'll be joining the toad world. Towing a Sonic 4 down.

I got to thinking about some of the places I've driven without the toad and started to realize that places like my local filling station may be a problem now, it has a hump to enter and exit that wasn't much of a concern if approached it slow and at an angle. But how will it be with a car behind? I am starting to realize that the large fueling stations like Fred Myer and TA etc. are all an even approach from the road whereas the small Gas/Diesel stations for some reason have this hump. Gonna have to learn, a new way to approach or maybe the angle is still the way? What do you do when you approach/leave a raised road?
Of coarse backing up will be out of the picture but what about turning? My 32' coach turns tighter than rolly polly bug when you touch it. How much radius will I have now. Can I still make sharp turns? How Sharp?

This will be a new way of driving for me and I welcome it in exchange for the freedom of travel after setting up camp.
IM,
Well, if it were me, here's what I might do. I'd either wait for a weekend or, maybe a week day when there's a deserted larger parking lot as close to you as possible. Maybe a school, a church, Home Depot (although Home Depot's always open so....). And, I'd find some cones which, you can get at Home Depot, Lowes, and a few other places.
Now, you can go to that parking lot, setup those cones, to represent curbs, posts, buildings, parking lines and more. You can now practice with your coach and toad doing whatever type of maneuver that may intimidate you at present. You'll get better and better at it, all at the cost of crushing a couple of $3.00 cones. Big deal.

As for un-even entries, like entering gas stations, parking lots and more, well, yep, you'll see that angle entry is pretty much the norm. But, it's not always possible due to potentially others using the same entry/exit, at the same time you are. So, be prepared for that scenario. You have a 32' coach. That in itself is a great PLUS in your situation.

After driving fire trucks, runway foamers, and large vehicles for well over 35 + years, driving motorhomes, no matter the length and combo, is pretty much a piece of cake for me. But, I can see where others, who've maybe been not so fortunate in having the type of experience's I have, might be a bit intimidated at driving something larger than the average car or pickup. Everyone's got to start somewhere and, from that point on, you work to get better.

Each time you go for a trip, you'll have better and better confidence. Don't get too complacent though, always keep your guard up. There's bonehead in gas stations and parking lots that have no idea what it takes to handle your kind of rig and they'll pull in front of you or, in some other way, cause you to need to really rely on your self training. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:44 PM   #6

We tow a Sonic. it goes where your coach goes. Due to the coaches overhang it doesn't even cut corners like a trailer would. Turn your coach as tight as it will go and the Sonic will happily follow.

As far as dips and ramps go; your coach is much more susceptible to the side-to-side swing these things cause when approached at an angle than the toad would be. Approach as you normally would at a sane speed for your coach and you should have nothing to worry about with the toad.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:13 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
IM,
Well, if it were me, here's what I might do. I'd either wait for a weekend or, maybe a week day when there's a deserted larger parking lot as close to you as possible. Maybe a school, a church, Home Depot (although Home Depot's always open so....). And, I'd find some cones which, you can get at Home Depot, Lowes, and a few other places.
Now, you can go to that parking lot, setup those cones, to represent curbs, posts, buildings, parking lines and more. You can now practice with your coach and toad doing whatever type of maneuver that may intimidate you at present. You'll get better and better at it, all at the cost of crushing a couple of $3.00 cones. Big deal.

As for un-even entries, like entering gas stations, parking lots and more, well, yep, you'll see that angle entry is pretty much the norm. But, it's not always possible due to potentially others using the same entry/exit, at the same time you are. So, be prepared for that scenario. You have a 32' coach. That in itself is a great PLUS in your situation.

After driving fire trucks, runway foamers, and large vehicles for well over 35 + years, driving motorhomes, no matter the length and combo, is pretty much a piece of cake for me. But, I can see where others, who've maybe been not so fortunate in having the type of experience's I have, might be a bit intimidated at driving something larger than the average car or pickup. Everyone's got to start somewhere and, from that point on, you work to get better.

Each time you go for a trip, you'll have better and better confidence. Don't get too complacent though, always keep your guard up. There's bonehead in gas stations and parking lots that have no idea what it takes to handle your kind of rig and they'll pull in front of you or, in some other way, cause you to need to really rely on your self training. Good luck.
Scott

FIRE UP,

Thanks for the reply. I was trying to convey my excitement on a new ( to me) upcoming experience . I have professionally driven a school bus in mountainous roads for a period and found it quite enjoyable and it came quite naturally. Albeit I never towed anything behind me with a large rig. I have towed many a trailer with my personal pickup and its a piece of cake. So I was curious what others like yourself have experienced while towing, especially relating to the dynamics of added pivot of the toad. Your suggestion of the parking lot practice is what I had in mind (without the cones ) to learn and be aware of my new constraints that may or may not play a roll in my driving.

For example: I have learned how steep of a drop off I can drive over without scraping my hitch.(only had to do it once to realize that.) So assuming I don't need a drop hitch for the toad that shouldn't change.

One of the regular maneuvers I have always made was a sharp right hand 180D turn into my local Fueling station at the end of a trip to refuel before heading to the barn. That now seems a bit aggressive with the idea of an extra 12-15' of real estate. Especially since their is also that hump to go over while turning. I suppose in time I'll know what the limits are, but until then I'll take it easy and slow. And approach that gas station differently until I know I won't risk damaging the toad, the hitch or the RV.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:19 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
We tow a Sonic. it goes where your coach goes. Due to the coaches overhang it doesn't even cut corners like a trailer would. Turn your coach as tight as it will go and the Sonic will happily follow.

As far as dips and ramps go; your coach is much more susceptible to the side-to-side swing these things cause when approached at an angle than the toad would be. Approach as you normally would at a sane speed for your coach and you should have nothing to worry about with the toad.

tfryman,
Thank you for the support. Hearing you have the same toad helps. I'll be using a Roadmaster Nighthawk hitch so I'm anxious to see if I have the same results as you have. It would be great not to lose any turning ability as that is one of the reasons I chose my current coach.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:17 AM   #9

IM,
Roger that on all your experience. It's actually quite hard to convey others (like mine) experience in towing. Unless you're on a test track, with all conditions being the exact same for all drivers involved, what some folks do in certain circumstances is quite possibly different from others. Over hangs, pivots, tongue lengths, all vary some. My suggestion for the cones is about as easy and cheap as it gets, for some basic and, even technical practice.

IF one crushes a $4 cone, not a big deal. If one grinds up the side of a $40-$50K toad due to not realizing clearances and or, no practice at that sort of thing, well, the cone was the sacrificial lamb to gain confidence and experience. It's just a suggestion. Driving and handling conditions can and often do, change by the second, in given circumstances. Trying to gain first hand experience in turning and clearance checking can be done in the old parking lot.

I can tell you what I do in all kinds of situations but, in reality, that won't do you much good, you aren't there to see it happen and, learn. And, practicing in the real world, in or on, crowded tight and city streets, well, to me, that's taking a quite chance. Good luck and enjoy.
Scott

PS. BY the way, may I ask, what inverter/charger came with your 32' Meridian?
Scott
Old 03-11-2020, 12:39 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
IM,

PS. BY the way, may I ask, what inverter/charger came with your 32' Meridian?
Scott

It has a Dimensions Unlimited 2000w.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:28 PM   #11

Quote:
It has a Dimensions Unlimited 2000w.
Roger that, we got over 11 years out of our Dimensions unit. They got a bad rep from some but, it sure worked well for us, for that long of a time. Good luck with yours.
Scott
Old 03-11-2020, 09:35 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Roger that, we got over 11 years out of our Dimensions unit. They got a bad rep from some but, it sure worked well for us, for that long of a time. Good luck with yours.
Scott

Just wondering what you replaced it with?
Old 03-12-2020, 11:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Just wondering what you replaced it with?
IM,
Well Sir, we got REAL lucky in that instance. By the time I'd finished my investigation and determined the charging side of that Dimensions Inverter/Charger had gone south, the ever diligent wife was cruising Craigslist looking for one. Low and behold, by some odd miracle, she found one. It was/is a 6 month old, Magnum ME2012 2000 watt unit. The seller had removed it from their 6 month old coach to be replaced by a Pure Sign Wave unit. He had to do that due to his wife's medical equipment demand.

So, he wanted $600 for the 6 month old unit and I got it for $500. I did the install of it. A little fabrication of some brackets and, it went into the same exact place our old Dimensions unit lived. Then, I had to purchase a new remote for it. I installed that remote in the same place the old Dimensions unit was. I snaked the new phone type cord through some walls, around the toilet area and into the compartment where the inverter/charger lives.
Scott

Tags
toad