Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2020, 07:45 PM   #1

Toad Issues, again.

Well we are on our way south and the transmission in our Saturn Vue is acting up once again. Over the past two years the transmission has been rebuilt twice. Fortunately Chevy paid for the two rebuilds and I'm still under warranty from the last rebuild.

I'm tired of the uncertainty. It is time to replace the car. I don't see a lot of choices especially in the 3K to 4K SUV range.

I have narrowed my choice to the 2020 Chevrolet Equinox. I have read the 2020 Equinox owner's manual and it is essentially the same as the 2019 Equinox for dinghy towing. I believe that the Equinox is a popular dinghy. I still have time to change my mind. I prefer a small SUV. Comments?

I will be in Tucson, AZ. Are there recommendations for shops that can set up a car for four down towing in Tucson?

Have a happy new year. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #2

As I understand it TOAD is towed on a dolly meaning the front wheels are not rolling on the ground, we tow a Fiat 500 on a dolly but it is a stick and California wants additional brakes for anything being towed over 1500 lbs. the Fiat is 2300 lbs and the dolly was 1000 dollars cheaper than a brake system and tow bar set up. My question is if you tow your Chevy on a dolly and the wheels are not turning why would it hurt the transmission? I might have missed something on this.
Bill Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:21 PM   #3

Toad, as used in this fourm, seems to mean any car being pulled behind a MH, 4 down or on a dolly.

Your definition does make sense though.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would be tempted to hold on a bit longer for the new Ford Escape Hybrid.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. Perhaps I should use the term dinghy.

Our car isn't driveable so we go home early or we purchase a car while we are down south.

To complicate matters I discovered that Washington State requires a car that meets California emissions standards. Washington State will not title a car that doesn't meet California standards and they suggest if you buy one that you will have to either sell it or convince the dealer to take the car back. Fat chance a dealer will take a car back

It appears that it is easy to verify that a car meets California emissions standards but I still worry about potential problems.

So the plan becomes purchase a car while I'm still in California. I assume all cars sold in California will meet California's emissions standards. I will verify.

We will then travel to Yuma where I will find a shop to install towing hardware. Any suggestions on who can set up a car for towing?

JD
Old 01-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #6

There are a few Toads in the classifieds, including mine.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
The term toad refers to any vehicle towed behind the motorhome whether by dolly or 4 wheels down.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
Thanks for the responses. Perhaps I should use the term dinghy.

Our car isn't driveable so we go home early or we purchase a car while we are down south.

To complicate matters I discovered that Washington State requires a car that meets California emissions standards. Washington State will not title a car that doesn't meet California standards and they suggest if you buy one that you will have to either sell it or convince the dealer to take the car back. Fat chance a dealer will take a car back

It appears that it is easy to verify that a car meets California emissions standards but I still worry about potential problems.

So the plan becomes purchase a car while I'm still in California. I assume all cars sold in California will meet California's emissions standards. I will verify.

We will then travel to Yuma where I will find a shop to install towing hardware. Any suggestions on who can set up a car for towing?

JD

Make sure to READ THE OWNERS MANUAL VERY CAREFULLY!
Look for the section about recreational towing for an Equinox, NOT how much the Equinox can tow. There is a difference.
You may find only a certain engine, or transmission package CAN BE FLAT TOWED.
Don’t believe the salesman.....he just wants to sell the car. See it in print before you buy, and only in the owners manual. After all, you’re buying a brand new car, and if there’s a warranty issue you want to be certain.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Make sure to READ THE OWNERS MANUAL VERY CAREFULLY!
Look for the section about recreational towing for an Equinox, NOT how much the Equinox can tow. There is a difference.
You may find only a certain engine, or transmission package CAN BE FLAT TOWED.
Don’t believe the salesman.....he just wants to sell the car. See it in print before you buy, and only in the owners manual. After all, you’re buying a brand new car, and if there’s a warranty issue you want to be certain.
Chevrolet has recently approved all models of the Equinox as flat towable. Your advice is sound however. Always find out for yourself. Ironically GMC has declared non of their current Terrain models flat towable anymore even though it's the same drivetrain.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
Sounds like a justifiable reason to MOVE south.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #11

O worked in the car business and worked on them when California had its own requirements that were different than other states but that was a very long time ago so that being said I would do some research as to what your state really wants or better yet requires for a family car. I live in Ca. and the state has become stupid in what they want but Im sure that will all change as it always has.
Bill Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adkins View Post
O worked in the car business and worked on them when California had its own requirements that were different than other states but that was a very long time ago so that being said I would do some research as to what your state really wants or better yet requires for a family car. I live in Ca. and the state has become stupid in what they want but Im sure that will all change as it always has.
I searched Washington State law and they very plainly say that they will not title a car unless it meets California emissions standards. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Here is an excerpt from Washington State law.

"To find out if the vehicle is California Certified look at the Vehicle Emissions Control Information (VECI) label in the engine compartment. You may register the vehicle in Washington if the label states that the vehicle is certified for any of the following.

California Emissions Standards (CARB Certified - www.arb.ca.gov).

Sale in all 50 states (50 state certified).

Sale in the northeast."

All of the above says that a car meets California's emissions standards.

There are seven states that require California emissions standards and most of them are in the northeast.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:31 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Chevrolet has recently approved all models of the Equinox as flat towable. Your advice is sound however. Always find out for yourself. Ironically GMC has declared non of their current Terrain models flat towable anymore even though it's the same drivetrain.
I need to issue a correction. Chevy has approved all 2020 model Equinox as dingy towable I have been unable to verify the 2018-19 AWD models to be approved unless it is the diesel so you will have to check that out for yourself.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
I brought up an Equinox 2019 owners manual and an Equinox 2020 owners manual.

The 2019 manual specifically lists each engine that may be towed four wheels down. "Front-wheel-drive (1.5 L gas, 2.0L gas, and 1.6L diesel engine) and all-wheel-drive (2.0L gas and 1.6L diesel engine) vehicles may be dinghy towed from the front."

The 2020 manual says "All vehicles may be dinghy towed from the front."

That said I am looking at the 1.5 L gas engine, six speed transmission FWD that has been authorized for four wheels down towing for some time.

Tags
toad