Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #1

Toad lights

Just kicking around ideas for brake/turn signal/marker lights on the road. Have a 2016 Berkshire 38a, Demco SS dolly and pull a 2015 Kia Sedona on it. Question, the Sedona has a hitch and 4 flat plug. I'm thinking of making a jumper that Y's off of the plug at the coach/ dolly plug and run to the 4 flat plug on the Sedona. Does anyone here know if the backfeed would affect the computer on the Sedona?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #2

Interesting idea.
Question . When the toad is on the dolly , do you disconnect the battery ?

Back feed from the trailer wiring ,
1 park light power, would power the front lights and the dash lights, possibly the toad's body computer and any other battery ( non ignition) circuits.
2 brake light power ( and signals ) should stop at the multi-function switch.

BUT; if the multi-function switch doesn't stop the power from the coach , then the whole of the toad's ignition powered circuits would get power .

My Remco lube pump kit came with wiring for the toad lighting , the kit included wiring and diodes . Instructions were to run the wiring for the lights the length of the toad and install the diodes to stop any power feedback from the coach lights from reaching any of the toad's systems except the rear lighting. I didn't give it too much thought , I just followed the instructions , now as I'm typing , I'm beginning to understand the diode reasoning.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Is there power to the lights when the key is turned off? Guess if you left a light switch on (includes blinker) it could back feed. I’ve done it on my toad for 15 years, but it only takes a 4’ cord.

Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Check Curt manufacturing tow harnesses for your car. The are plug and play and give you a 4 pin plug on the front. Thay take about 30min to install.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:13 PM   #5

I would install a diode kit to prevent any back feeding issues.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:29 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Question, the Sedona has a hitch and 4 flat plug. I'm thinking of making a jumper that Y's off of the plug at the coach/ dolly plug and run to the 4 flat plug on the Sedona.
That would work, maybe, but one end of the "Y" would be long to go all the way to the back of the Sedona. ALSO - if the Sedona had a diode kit or brake light / turn signal adapter for that plug, it wouldn't work as the diodes would prevent the "Y" cord from supplying power to the lights.

I installed and wired a flat four under the hood of my Camry. (Its the same style female flat four connector that's wired on the back of my Camry). I spliced directly to the front turn signals and parking lights.

I then made a "Y" cord. A male connector plugs into the motorhome (using one of those 7 to 4 pin adapters), a female connector plug for the dolly, and a male plug that connects under the hood of my Camry.

The only weird thing, the turn signals on the back of my Camry are amber, not red . So when I apply the brakes, the dolly red lights com on and the Camry amber lights com on.

NOTE - Although I didn't do it, a diode kit would be preferred when I wired the Camry lights, this would prevent the Camry lights from turning on the dolly and motorhome lights.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:35 AM   #7

I went another route for the car itself. I have a 4 pin plug on the toad, and ran brake/turn/running light wires back to the rear of the toad, then I removed each rear light receptacle, drilled a hole in the back of the lens in a convenient spot, and plugged in a light socket available from any auto parts store. That way, the toad lighting is totally independent from the manufacturers toad wiring. No drain on the toad batteries. You would still have to "Y" off of the tow dolly wiring harness to provide power, but especially if you use LED's, the power draw shouldn't be an issue. Good luck with your install!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, toad