RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:43 AM   #1

Toad lights or not?

I have seen a couple of toads with no working lights on the toad itself. They added a set of lights on the upper section of the motor home so they could be seen over the toad. My question is, is this legal ?
vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2019, 07:57 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
All trailers need brake and turn signals. Doesn't matter if you can see the tow vehicle lights. https://www.etrailer.com/faq-trailer...gulations.aspx
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:57 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
No it's not!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:01 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Trailers must have safety chains, reflectors, license plate lights, tail lights, turn signal lights and brake lights. The trailer must be registered in your state, and you need proof of insurance

I would imagine this would apply to a toad. I wouldn’t consider towing without lights.

Perhaps the vehicle you saw had toad lights...but had a bad connection or blown fuse.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:01 AM   #5

We decided not to wire in lights but there is no excuse for not having them. Our motorhome has extra lights and our car is a Mini Cooper Roadster which is low enough that all 4 existing lights are visible behind the RV. We never considered NOT adding lights for the toad. We went with a TowMate magnetic green tow light. Itís basically what tow trucks use now when they are towing a car. That made it so we didnít have to do any wiring or connecting to the RV.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
We decided not to wire in lights but there is no excuse for not having them. Our motorhome has extra lights and our car is a Mini Cooper Roadster which is low enough that all 4 existing lights are visible behind the RV. We never considered NOT adding lights for the toad. We went with a TowMate magnetic green tow light. Itís basically what tow trucks use now when they are towing a car. That made it so we didnít have to do any wiring or connecting to the RV.
One thing you should consider is that if someone can't stop in time and runs into the mini you might have to pay for repairs of the person crashing into you. Depends on state laws and how good the laywer is. Why go through the worry. Light it up.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #7

We went with the magnetic lights that don't require any wiring of the tow vehicle. We just returned from our first 2 month trip with them and I have to say I'm very pleased. I believe they are more effective than wiring the toad, as they call attention to other drivers if for no other reason than being different. For roughly $25, they can't be beat.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
One thing you should consider is that if someone can't stop in time and runs into the mini you might have to pay for repairs of the person crashing into you. Depends on state laws and how good the laywer is. Why go through the worry. Light it up.
I was saying we didn’t wire it up but we do have a light. It’s magnetic and wireless so there is really no excuse to not have some sort of lighting.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #9

When my toad was set up for four down, installer wired for lights, brake controller, and charging toad battery during towing. No need to pull a fuse.

To connect toad, I attach tow bar, chains, fail safe cable, and control cable. A single switch engages brakes. RV brakes and lights active brakes and lights on toad. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to hook up.

I will not tow a toad without brakes, lights and chains.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Requirements vary state by state and also vary by trailer size and weight.

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-lighting/

2004 Travel Supreme Select 45DSO4
Towing 2018 Ford Flex 4 down
Jarhead 67-71
Airboss68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, toad