Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyG View Post
Arch,

I was not aware. Thanks for the tip. Looks like costs--excluding labor--would be close to what a good dolly would be (?). Might look into that. I have been thinking about a Mini Cooper but thinking is as far as I got. Any idea what modifications would be involved in installing the base plate?

I'm curious how the braking system overcomes lack of power brakes.

Looks like more research is called for. Not like I don't have the time

Guy
Your 2009 Equinox MAY be towable 4 down, depends on the transmission and if 2WD or AWD. Look in your owners manual page 4-27.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2020, 06:28 AM   #16

GuyG,
Check out youtube. There's a few videos on installing the baseplate on the Equinox. I also installed wiring so the Equinox's lights would work like trailer lights. If you tow at night, you may need that also. Braking system should turn on brake lights for daytime driving but not blinkers. Just something to consider. The harness came from etrailer.com There's also a video on installing it.
mee
meebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:41 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by meebarb View Post
GuyG,
Check out youtube. There's a few videos on installing the baseplate on the Equinox. I also installed wiring so the Equinox's lights would work like trailer lights. If you tow at night, you may need that also. Braking system should turn on brake lights for daytime driving but not blinkers. Just something to consider. The harness came from etrailer.com There's also a video on installing it.
mee
Thanks, meebarb.

And, again, thanks to all of you for your input.

Stay safe and healthy.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:02 PM   #18

Dow dollys work
But here is what I did.

The day I bought my tow dolly was the first day I was on my way to get rid of it.
I never liked using a tow dolly.
Just my personal experience.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
dow dollys work
but here is what i did.

The day i bought my tow dolly was the first day i was on my way to get rid of it.
I never liked using a tow dolly.
Just my personal experience.
i agree...
Old 05-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have a 2019 Honda Ridgeline with a 66" track and it fits on my Stehl Tow dolly.

Track is distance between center of front tires. Add 1/2 the width of each front tire to find over all width of front tires.

Towed it from mid Florida, where I bought it, to the middle Keys and then up to NY State with no problems.

Your Equinox has a 61.5" track, like the Jeep Renegade we towed for 3 years on the same dolly without incident.

The only way I can see for dolly contacting the car is to have loose flopping straps letting the tires roll foward and back in the tire trays.
Twinboat, Did you have to do any special set up to your ridgeline? I just brought a 2019 Ridgeline and been looking information on tow dolly it. Any issues towing yours?

Thanks!
Adlin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:24 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have a 2019 Honda Ridgeline with a 66" track and it fits on my Stehl Tow dolly.

Track is distance between center of front tires. Add 1/2 the width of each front tire to find over all width of front tires.

Towed it from mid Florida, where I bought it, to the middle Keys and then up to NY State with no problems.

Your Equinox has a 61.5" track, like the Jeep Renegade we towed for 3 years on the same dolly without incident.

The only way I can see for dolly contacting the car is to have loose flopping straps letting the tires roll foward and back in the tire trays.
I will be towing my FWD Ridgeline on a Stehl tow dolly as well. You mentioned that you keep the wheels unlocked. My 2017 has the push to start with no key. Will keeping the fob in the cup holder sufficient to keep the wheels unlocked? Is that how you unlock your wheels when towing?
Thanks.
Florida Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:29 PM   #22

Anyone know if a Master Tow 80THD or another dolly with built in ramps will work with a 2014 Honda Odyssey? The front wheels are about 77"-78" wide overall.

what about a Stehl Tow Model ST80TD??
lifguardct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:42 AM   #23

From MasterTow's Web site.
Model 80THD
For towing small to full-size cars, vans & trucks. Max towed vehicle gross wt 4.750 lbs. (towed vehicle tread width 40" - 80")
Also consider when you turn the car will "spin" on top of the dolly and the fenders can hit the car on the dolly so when looking keep that in mind.
I put a link above to Master Tow's web site in an earlier post. I pull an Equinox on one but from what I saw on the web it's track width isn't much over 5'.
I go to storage again I'll measure the width of the ramps on the dolly we have. It's an 80THD.
meebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Panhandler View Post
I will be towing my FWD Ridgeline on a Stehl tow dolly as well. You mentioned that you keep the wheels unlocked. My 2017 has the push to start with no key. Will keeping the fob in the cup holder sufficient to keep the wheels unlocked? Is that how you unlock your wheels when towing?
Thanks.
My 2019 Ridgeline doesn't have locking steering.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Panhandler View Post
Thanks.
I didn’t had to do anything since mine doesn’t lock the wheels. I towed my mine from Azle to Galveston without any issues. Work had been crazy, waiting a few months to take it out again, this time to Alabama shores.
Adlin20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, toad