Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #1

Toad on a trailer

Hello all,

We are looking at full timing in the next year and plan to use a toad behind our class C. The toad is a Subaru with AWD which cannot be flat towed, so we will buy a small double axle car hauler.

Looking for info on how you do the same. Do most camp grounds have an over flow parking area for trailers and dolly’s or are most pull through big enough.

Thx, Eddie
Davis31052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

There is so much variety in campgrounds that I don't think you can say "most" about much of anything. The size of the campground and the terrain alone have a lot to do with it, so facilities that may be common in one region may be practically unheard of in others. Pull-through sites may or may not exist, there may or may not be vehicle or trailer parking areas, sites may be large enough to accommodate a trailer or not, etc. etc. We've camped in some lovely mountainous places where a site big enough for a 35-40 ft RV was itself a challenge, let alone extra space for a car and a trailer. Yet another campground only a few miles away had plenty of room (but it was like camping in a supermarket parking lot).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #3

I pull one often when we wheeling. however usually where we go they are used to people pulling trailers and have room, with a pull through or a place you can park the trailer. no way I would want to mess with a trailer all the time. my car dolly is easy to move around and not take up much space, but can't back it up. as soon as I can get a new truck I will be flat towing it.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
I do this often

Davis,
We have a aluminum car hauler trailer (16 foot flat bed trailer) that we pull our toad with. Being aluminum, its light and looks good.

If you are towing with a class C, you will likely have enough room in most pull thru spots to keep the trailer attached to your RV. Our new motorhome is 40 feet long so we sometimes have issued keeping it attached at pull thru sites.

If we have to store it in another area of the RV park, we unhook the trailer from the motorhome and connect it to the toad to help with maneuvering it into tight spots.

Its a little more of a hassle using a trailer, but I like being able to use any toad I choose and the protection the trailer offers to my vehicle.

Here's a photo of the trailer in a RV spot that's not a pull thru. This was last year before we had our new motorhome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car hauler.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	266579  
Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
i have only been to 1 park (in showlow az) were there was not a pull though space big enough for us to fit 39 ft class a and our 8.5 x 20 enclosed car hauler
Old 11-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #6

….no first hand knowledge but need to make sure the combined weight of your toad and trailer doesn't exceed your Class C tow capacity--at worst you are over or near over weight, at best you might be stressing your tow vehicle....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for asking this question; I'm facing the same thing.
Bob Romine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The car hauler trailer has weight and also pus tongue weight on the RV. Make sure that the TV is rated to pull the weight of the car and the trailer and about 10% of the weight on the tongue.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #9

Make sure your toad will have a hitch to be able to move the trailer. This will make locating the trailer much easier if the campground has a small parking lot or somewhere you can park the trailer if there is no room on your campsite.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #10

I started a thread on here last February with the exact same name:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/toad-...er-410313.html

As I stated in that thread I have a CR-V that could be flat towed, a couple other cars that could be dolly towed, and a UTV (bought a couple months later) that needs to be trailered. Just made sense to me to buy a trailer that could handle all of the above.

My MH is only 28', so the 16' trailer with tongue puts me right at 48' total. The trailer is only ~1100#s, so even with the CR-V I'm under the 5k limit. I also bought a weigh-safe drop hitch, and it's easier than I thought it would be to keep the tongue weight under 500#s. We've only stayed in a couple CG's while towing but the length hasn't been an issue at all so far.

https://www.weigh-safe.com/product/w...fe-drop-hitch/

Being able to back up when I need to in tight spots and while trying to level in a "rough" spot makes it nice. It only takes a few minutes to load and unload, probably more work than flat towing but not a big deal by any means.
WyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, trailer