Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2021, 08:17 PM   #1

TOAD on Pleasureway Excel TS

For a V8 Pleasureway Excel TS (2014), does anyone know the unloaded vehicle weight?

Can it pull a Jeep Wrangler (>3700 lbs) 4 wheels down if the GVW of the Pleasureway is 600LBS lbs less than its GVWR (9500)? The listed maximum tow capacity of the PW is 3500 lbs, but the GCWR is 13000 (8900+3700 = 12600, i.e. - less than the GCWR of 13000).

Is there is a difference in the realized/useful tow capacity when flat-towing v. trailer-towing (with tongue-weight)?

An additional consideration - am often at elevations exceeding 5000 ft.

Advice/Recommendations?
kalex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2021, 06:25 PM   #2
NXR

GCWR = 13,000

GVWR = 9,500

Max tow capacity = 3,500

What is the "fully loaded for a trip and weighed on a CAT Scale weight"? Is that the 8,900?

You listed the Jeep as "greater than 3,700 lbs". What does that really mean? Is it a 6,000 pound 4-door Rubicon or what?

If you own the Jeep, what did it weigh on a CAT Scale without any people in it?

If the manufacturer listed the maximum towing capacity as 3,500 that may be due to GCWR minus GVWR or due to frame limitations, such as additions they added.

Tongue Weight gets added to the rear axle. For a 3,700 pound vehicle you will have between 370 lbs and 555 pounds of tongue weight if the vehicle is loaded properly, weight that is added to the rear axle of the tow vehicle and thus part of the tow vehicle total weight.

Ray
Old 05-14-2021, 06:50 PM   #3

TOAD on PW Excel

Thanks for your reply. Just received that data on scale weights

Weight on scale for Jeep with tow bar, without passengers, and 1/2 tank of gas is:3750 lb

weight on scale for PW (with passengers and all intended gear, gas, water, etc) is: 8900 lb

I was under the impression that there is virtually no, or minimal, tongue weight when 4-wheels-down flat-towing. I could go and measure the tongue weight to check.

The add-on tow hitch is rated at 6000 lb/600 tongue weight. The Ford 350 V8 should not be the limiting factor.

Any comments on the elevation/altltude considerations?

I'm new to this and just learning, so I appreciate the comments.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:06 PM   #4

You are correct towing 4-down adds very little tongue weight. With the numbers you are quoting you will not exceed the GVWR or CGVWR towing the Jeep. 3750 seems light for a jeep. I have been looking at new ones and the 2-door Jeeps I have seen are all above 4000 lbs. Like NXR mentioned you do not know what PW based the tow rating on. Normally it would be GWVR-GVWR hence the 3500 lbs assuming the PW is loaded to GVWR. Did the PW come with a factory hitch? If so what was its rating?
Old 05-14-2021, 08:05 PM   #5

The jeep is a two-door 2001 Wrangler Sport (later years are wider and heavier). It has been lifted and large wheels/tires added. We travel with the back seat removed. The original base weight was around 3300 lb, I believe.

I don't know about the OEM hitch on the Pleasureway - I purchased it used.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:14 PM   #6

A question for those you with much more experience.

I understood that the recommended trailer tongue weight (10-15%) was to stabilize and prevent fishtailing/sway/jackknifing, etc. If there is little tongue weight on a four-wheels down configuration, is it inherently less stable? Or is the instability normally associated with lower tongue weight (on trailers) compensated by the four-wheels down configuration?
Old 05-14-2021, 10:18 PM   #7
NXR

TOAD on Pleasureway Excel TS

Quote:
A question for those you with much more experience.

I understood that the recommended trailer tongue weight (10-15%) was to stabilize and prevent fishtailing/sway/jackknifing, etc. If there is little tongue weight on a four-wheels down configuration, is it inherently less stable? Or is the instability normally associated with lower tongue weight (on trailers) compensated by the four-wheels down configuration?
A dolly or trailer only has one connection going straight back from the ball. A four-down has two arms and that adds lateral stability. Plus the front tires steer.

I've towed both ways and do not even know the car is back there with either one.

It sounds like you've done your homework. Just be certain to install a good toad braking system as well.

Ray
Old 05-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #8

Jeep TOAD towing

I have read several opinions of how to tow a manual transmission JEEP four-wheels down. All options have the 4WD transfer case in neutral during towing. Have seen recommendations that the transmission itself during towing should be in gear (2nd or 3rd), but others say neutral.

Tags
excel, toad