Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #1

Toad or not?

With concerns about gas mileage I can assume pulling a tote will cost me more money? I would assume beside wear and tare on the tote the gas millage on my rig will suffer. Has anyone taken the time to discover how different the gas millage is with and with out the tote?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Most of us call the car we tow a toad (from towed). The effect on your mileage will vary based on the weight of the car or truck you choose to tow. Since I always pull the car listed in my signature, I don't really have a good number for you.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
The gas mileage will be a bit worse, but you should get that back when you use the toad. Especially if you stay in one place for a week or so . Not to mention the convenience when parked .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Not exactly. I tow a 4000lb enclosed trailer 95% of the time. The few times I didn't, the mileage was a bit better. Somewhere between 0.4 to 0.8 mpg.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #5

I would think it would vary with diesel vs gas, with the advantage going to diesel.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #6

My 35' Allegro bus (diesel) over 12000 miles averaged 9.0 miles / gallon. When I added a Honda CRV mileage dropped to 8.9 . . .using a $4.00 / gallon price for diesel this means it cost one half cent per mile to tow. This is mostly rolling terrain with one trip thru the Ozarks, so I don't have BIG mountain info. HTH!
Red James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
My fuel mileage doesn't change from pulling my 3,300 lb toad to not pulling it.
Without it I tend to drive a little faster then when pulling. Thus the same MPG.
Pulling 55-58 MPH
Solo 62-65 MPH

I have a spreadsheet with all fuel used. Average for 10 years is 10.223 MPG

But after getting to each days destination I am much more relaxed when driving the 55-58 MPH. And arrive within a hour or less of the faster speed.

I have noticed at times, when driving a relaxed 55-58 MPH there has been some MH's that are driving 65-75 MPH. Will Pass me 2 or 3 times during the day.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #8

I drive my toad more than double the miles I drive my MH. We explore a lot.
This means it pays me to toad.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #9

Towing a Honda Fit (2100 lbs) costs less than 1 mpg. It is a little inconvenient at times, but the flexibility when camped is great.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

It depends on the relative weight of the toad vs the coach, the terrain (hills or flat land) and your driving style (weight of your right foot). A typical report on a 4000 lb toad on a 17,000 lb gas chassis coach would be 0.5 mpg impact in moderately hilly terrain. On the other hand, a 5000 lb toad on a 30,000+ lb diesel pusher is all but unnoticeable anywhere except mountainous terrain.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #11

Other than maybe a week end trip I don't see how you can get along without a toad so it really doesn't make a difference. It is just not practical to take your RV to the grocery store or to the local resteraunts, or up a few miles to a trail head, etc. renting a car at each location is going to cost a lot more than the mileage you lose.
Towing is much easier than you might think, there is nothing you do differently when towing than not towing except you can't back up if 4 down.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #12

I actually think you're asking the wrong question. If you want a car where you go what's your option? Do you want the expense of renting a car? Does the place you're going even have a car rental agency? Taxi cab? I suspect most have made the decision that the convenience of towing far outweighs the added fuel, and of course the cost of setting up a car to be towed (no small number).

I for one have yet to tow. We've rented cars once or twice, taken a cab from time to time, ridden bikes. But that's us.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
HHg

Nice and simple answer: I don't leave home without my "toad".

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #14

We normally take our Jeep Wrangler (3700 lbs) whenever we travel. The times we left it at home the mileage increased about .8 mpg. However the cost of renting car far out weighed the difference in mileage. Add the cost of the rental, fuel for both it and the motorhome and the time it takes to pick it up and return it, and bringing along your own vehicle is certainly less expensive.

There have been times when the closest rental agency was 80 miles from our destination, and only open Monday through Friday. Other times the "reserved" car hadn't been returned when it was supposed to so we waited several additional hours. With all the hassle and unpredictability just the peace of mind knowing you have a car along is worth way more than the additional cost of fuel to take it.

Tags
toad