Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2017, 10:43 PM   #43

There is no way I would even try putting my Miata on a dolly, like you tires do not last long plus I would worry it will screw up the alignment and who knows what else. I would think a dolly and a S2000 there would also be a good chance of removing paint from the front bumper.....

i would get a trailer, preferably one with a wind deflector on the front to eliminate the chance of rock chips. It doesn't have to be very large to fit your car. Or you can get a larger one to hold a golf cart, motorcycle and whatever else you want.

Some camping areas charge more to store the trailer, some you can easily fit in a pull through site thus do not need to disconnect. It really depends on the camping area... if I was in your shoes a trailer would be the only option
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 07:50 AM   #44

I see a Toad as a safety factor. We have spent nights in remote areas where there is no cell phone service and no one else around. Picture a slide out that won't retract, flat tire or other mechanical problem, add a snowstorm and ask yourself if a motorcycle can be deployed to get supplies or assistance? I always take the Toad and make sure it has at least 1/2 tank of gas. And the toad is a handy place to carry the golf stuff.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
He's got a Honda S2000. It's a sports car. They like driving curvy mountain roads.

4-wheeling isn't the only way to enjoy driving.
Correct, We run the Smoky Mountains in the spring and fall with hundreds of other S2000 Drivers. However we have gotten lost once and had to do some off road adventures to get to our destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
It would be interesting to see the average lifted CJ with off-road tires on US-129 in NC (tail of the Dragon) or NC-28 (Bootlegger 28). I will admit I see a few on the Cherohala Skyway but they crawl at well below the speed limit.
The S2000 is perfect for the Dragon and Hellbender28 but watch out for them Bears !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I take it that your S2000 does not have a manual transmission?
All S2000's are 6 speed manual and you have to drop the driveshaft (10 minute job) to tow on all four. Also have to change to a different set of longer lasting harder compound tires while towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
There is no way I would even try putting my Miata on a dolly, like you tires do not last long plus I would worry it will screw up the alignment and who knows what else. I would think a dolly and a S2000 there would also be a good chance of removing paint from the front bumper.....

i would get a trailer, preferably one with a wind deflector on the front to eliminate the chance of rock chips. It doesn't have to be very large to fit your car. Or you can get a larger one to hold a golf cart, motorcycle and whatever else you want.

Some camping areas charge more to store the trailer, some you can easily fit in a pull through site thus do not need to disconnect. It really depends on the camping area... if I was in your shoes a trailer would be the only option
The S2000 is a very hard car to knock out of alignment and it only takes five minutes to remove the bumper cover it she is sitting to low. I may just flat tow her and drop the driveshaft if I have to.

I would also bring an extra set of wheels with taller profile and harder compound tire for towing. If I can use a dolly I'll only have to bring the two smaller front oem wheels instead of all four. I have three extra sets of oem wheels and would install a set on my trailer too.

As a Miata owner you understand the rush of going left & right. Once it's in your blood you just can't stop.

Thanks for all the replies !!!
---nota___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:27 AM   #46

It kind of sounds like this guy (FinallygotmyS2K) posting on a Honda forum apparently was able to flat tow his 2000 S2000 without a disconnect. He was initially concerned about the Torsen differential and wrote to Torsen. They didn't see a problem and in his last post in the thread, he reports that he successfully towed it on his trip of over 10,000 miles.

Not sure if this pertains to your situation or not.

Towing my S2000 behind my Motorcoach

eta: I notice that Roadmaster does make brackets for 2000-03 and Blue Ox for 2004.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:11 AM   #47

Hello - - - nota,

Somehow, I think going 60 - 65 mph in a MH will prove boring for you. Especially when you are down to 30 - 40 mph going up mountain grades.

I second marjoa in that you should consider a diesel dually pickup. Your focus seems to be on enjoying your toys. Sounds like one of the toy hauler 5er models would be perfect for you. You could then add a jet ski and a snowmobile to the list. After all, you are only in your 50's and are not dead yet.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=---nota___;3404222]Why ?

The Coach will be our Home, we are only in our mid 50's and still enjoy our Toys.

Were not Dead Yet :rolleyes

How old you are has nothing to do with it. Going fulltime without a toad is "ridiculous". A acquaintance of mine had a coach custom made on a Peterbilt chassis and he had a basement toy hauler at the back with his motorcycle trike in it (the bedroom was above the toy hauler area). He had a pickup that he towed with his golf cart in the back of it. Problem solved! Just bring money!
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:33 PM   #49

Quote:
It kind of sounds like this guy (FinallygotmyS2K) posting on a Honda forum apparently was able to flat tow his 2000 S2000 without a disconnect. He was initially concerned about the Torsen differential and wrote to Torsen. They didn't see a problem and in his last post in the thread, he reports that he successfully towed it on his trip of over 10,000 miles.

eta: I notice that Roadmaster does make brackets for 2000-03 and Blue Ox for 2004.
Thanks, I'll have to take a look at what he said, Thanks Again !!!
Old 01-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Hello - - - nota,

Somehow, I think going 60 - 65 mph in a MH will prove boring for you. Especially when you are down to 30 - 40 mph going up mountain grades.

I second marjoa in that you should consider a diesel dually pickup. Your focus seems to be on enjoying your toys. Sounds like one of the toy hauler 5er models would be perfect for you. You could then add a jet ski and a snowmobile to the list. After all, you are only in your 50's and are not dead yet.
No problem at all doing 60's when you have over twenty tons rolling down the road and you understand physics and the laws of gravity.

We have towed our five ton cabin cruiser over thousands of miles and understand the reality of the situation.

As for the water & snow sleds those can be rented for very little if desired. In fact for how little those types of toys are used including boats, it's cheaper in the long run to just rent them.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:14 PM   #51

Quote:

That was great !!! Thanks again for the link, Here is his experence on all four towing.

finnalygotmys2k Quote,

"I have returned from our 10,443 mile RV Trip, pulling our Honda S2000 the full 10,443 miles, four wheels on the ground. Additionally we drove the Honda 4,852 miles at our 47 different destinations throughout the US and Canada, for a total tire wear on the S2K of 15,295 miles.

I changed the rear-end oil with Royal Purple Oil before the trip began, and again at about 4K towed (RV driving) miles, and lastly since returning home. Checking the magnetic rear-end plug showed no unexpected metal shavings at any of the oil changes. There are no strange noises coming from the rear end.

Maybe I just got lucky, but no apparent damage to the differential.

It was a great trip and super great fun, particularly being able to drive the S2K through the National Parks, the mountain roads and the 75 MPH speed limits in many of the western states - Top down, radio blasting and the wind blowing thru our hair. Can't do the 75MPH (legally) in Florida".
Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #52

Never understood one are driving on twisty roads.... but yes, so much fun. Prefer tracks (safer and can push more) but a good twisty road is a lot of fun.

My biggest complaint bringing my Jeep camping is those twisty roads I have to be the guy that lets faster cars by. Thus someday a trailer That will allow me to bring my Jeep and Miata.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:03 PM   #53

The Tail of the dragon HWY129 is well known destination

Quote:
Never understood one are driving on twisty roads.... but yes, so much fun. Prefer tracks (safer and can push more) but a good twisty road is a lot of fun.

My biggest complaint bringing my Jeep camping is those twisty roads I have to be the guy that lets faster cars by. Thus someday a trailer That will allow me to bring my Jeep and Miata.
Have run a few races on oval and road courses to make a few extra tire & wheel fund bucks for the Dragon. Gotta have two sets of tires in case it rains on the Dragon.

The Tail of the dragon HWY129 (318 curves in 11 miles) is well known destination. We have very few problems with the S2000 Crew. There's a code for driving this area safely or you will get punished for stupid driving. The Po Po leave us S2000 guys alone unless someone in the area has a problem.

This was last years scheduled

http://tailofthedragon.com/tail-of-t...o/2016-events/
Old 01-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #54

Quote:
Never understood one are driving on twisty roads.... but yes, so much fun. Prefer tracks (safer and can push more) but a good twisty road is a lot of fun..
Sorry that was a typo, it was suppose to read

Never understood one ARM driving in twisty roads..... but yes, so much fun

That's not smart driving, very dangerous even driving somewhat aggressively on a twisty road with one hand on the wheel.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #55

Quote:
Sorry that was a typo, it was suppose to read

Never understood one ARM driving in twisty roads..... but yes, so much fun

That's not smart driving, very dangerous even driving somewhat aggressively on a twisty road with one hand on the wheel.
The S2000 uses an electric rack with very close ratio steering. In reality we use to gas pedal and gears more than the steering wheel to fly thru the corners. These cars are set up just like the F1 cars they were conceived from.

The 2000 thru 2003 AP1 models were all hand built with a complete forged 9,000 rpm 2.0 four cylinder mid-engine. From start to finish the car was designed to race the tight corners with it's 2,800 lbs and 50/50 weight balance. The only change that has to be made is changing out he brake fluid to DOT 4 or better fluid. Virtually Zero body/Frame flex and the windshield frame acts as a roll bar as well as roll bar hoops behind the factory Recaro Racing seats.

What more can I say, It's a Honda on Steroids that you really have to own one to understand.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Absolutely doable. This is not the same as travelling with no mode of transportation. They have a scooter and a motorcycle. Also they want to eliminate the hassle of towing. As easy as many will say towing a toad is, it is defenatley easier not to tow.
I say try it and see how it works out.
That was my thought as well. Just rent on your next trip and see how that works for you.

FWIW, though, we rented on our first long trip and had a dolly for my wife's car before the second one.

If you're staying in one spot for several days renting may not be such a hassle, but touring -- not staying in one place more than a couple of days -- would be tough trying to rent.
EdInArk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad