Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2021, 02:14 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Toad parts installation in Portland OR for Chevy Colorado

Hi,

I don't have a motorhome yet, but plan to buy a class A DP in a month or so, and tow our 2016 Chevy Colorado, which I gather can be towed four-down.

So I thought I could get it ready for that by getting the necessary modifications (base plate, lights/brakes systems, battery disconnect, etc) installed now. I don't want to DIY.

Does anyone have recommendations for a place in the Portland, Oregon area that could do this for us?

Thanks!
Dejus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 06:32 PM   #2
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck!

When I set my Focus up in late 2016 I called three places asking, still waiting for two of them to call back and the other place I got the "Did you buy it here?" crap. I DIY.

You might contact Roadmaster in Vancouver. At least they will likely do it correctly.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejus View Post
Hi,

I don't have a motorhome yet, but plan to buy a class A DP in a month or so, and tow our 2016 Chevy Colorado, which I gather can be towed four-down.

So I thought I could get it ready for that by getting the necessary modifications (base plate, lights/brakes systems, battery disconnect, etc) installed now. I don't want to DIY.

Does anyone have recommendations for a place in the Portland, Oregon area that could do this for us?

Thanks!
Yes... Todd's Auto and RV. They are the best. I have had two vehicles set up by Todd and he does great work. He used to work at Roadmaster and been in the business for 30 years.

I would not go to anyone else.

4831 NE 105th Avenue
Portland OR 97220
(503) 936-0946
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:25 PM   #4

Roadmaster is just across the river in Vancouver.
Years ago had them install baseplates and set up MH for our Ford Explorer, then with second (and current MH) had them install the MH portion. For our current toad (Ford Expedition) I ordered and installed the Roadmaster baseplates myself. Also had to order a new tow bar from them as the Expedition weights considrably more than the Explorer did.
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:09 PM   #5

Roadmaster in Vancouver is the place to go. They setup my Ford Ranger. Who better to install what you need than the company that designed and built it.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:53 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you. Looking at Roadmaster's site, it wasn't clear if they are just the manufacturer, or they do installation too. I agree it makes sense for them to do it if they're able.

Todd's Auto and RV seems very highly rated too, so also seems like a great option.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:14 PM   #7

roadmaster

just had Todds in portland do my yukon great guy and service plus no sales tax in oregon he is very very busy took me 5 weeks for my appointment
bradc344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:10 PM   #8

Roadmaster will do the install. Give them a call and they will give you a quote for the parts and installation.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you plan on towing your truck with a DP, you need to use the Roadmaster base plates. Almost every vehicle sold, no matter who makes the base plate, the base plates mount and connect at the same spot.....except on the Canyon/Colorado's. If you buy Blue Ox, they connect above the bumper, which is a good height for a gasser, who's hitch is mounted higher. The Roadmaster base plates mount down at the tow hooks, which will be a better alignment height on a DP.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:37 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If you plan on towing your truck with a DP, you need to use the Roadmaster base plates. Almost every vehicle sold, no matter who makes the base plate, the base plates mount and connect at the same spot.....except on the Canyon/Colorado's. If you buy Blue Ox, they connect above the bumper, which is a good height for a gasser, who's hitch is mounted higher. The Roadmaster base plates mount down at the tow hooks, which will be a better alignment height on a DP.
Good tip, thanks!
Old 06-22-2021, 08:53 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Todd's provided these prices and part numbers for the needed Roadmaster components and installation for my 2016 Chevy Colorado. Any comments on the parts etc?

NightHawk Package Installed: $2,739.00
EZ 5 Bracket (523182-5)
NightHawk Tow Bar (676)
Combo Kit (9284-2)

BrakeMaster Installed: $1,450.00
BrakeMaster ~ Air Brakes (9160)
Seat Adaptor (88315)
Diodes/Stoplight Switch/Relay (751472)

Battery Disconnect Installed: $300.00
Remote Battery Disconnect (766)

Total Parts & Labor: $4,489.00
Payment By Credit Card: $4,630.00
Old 06-28-2021, 09:44 PM   #12

If you're buying a used DP you might hold off until you find out if the coach already has a hookup for a system. We have used the Air Force One, now by Demco, and have been totally satisfied with the system. I'm not familiar with the Brakemaster at all.

When we purchased our '17 Ventana I had ProRV in Vancouver install the coach side of the AFO. I supplied the parts and they installed it. Had no complaint on the process.

I would suggest checking the owners manual on your pickup to make sure of towing requirements before you do anything.

Safe travels,
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, colorado, install, installation, parts, toad