Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #29

American Coach Owners Club
Toad passing

When we towed a CRV I had a dummy key made. I would hold the chip part of the real key against the steering column right at the dummy key while starting. Had to hold it there a few seconds and then you can move it away and the car will continue to run on the dummy key until you switched it off. This allowed me to go through the transmission setup and not remove the key. Car would not restart though so you didn’t have to worry about leaving the key in it.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2018, 02:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson View Post
When we towed a CRV I had a dummy key made. I would hold the chip part of the real key against the steering column right at the dummy key while starting. Had to hold it there a few seconds and then you can move it away and the car will continue to run on the dummy key until you switched it off. This allowed me to go through the transmission setup and not remove the key. Car would not restart though so you didn’t have to worry about leaving the key in it.
I tried the place it close but mine wouldn't start. The dummy should work to just lock/unlock the door to keep it secure and not have to go through the Honda start up routine.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I use the "silly round pin clips" or technically called "A linchpin with an integral spring retainer" because they are secure and they work. One of the failure modes I have read about is removal or partial removal by sick people who think its funny. "Hairpins" or R-clip would have the same attractiveness to sick people. A lock is the only method that would slow down a sick person. I check mine during a walk around everytime we get ready to head out after making a rest area or campground stop.

The second failure mode is improper installation of the "Spring Retainer Linchpin" by placing them where the safety cable or chain can possibly catch the spring retainer flipping it open and allowing the linchpin to drop out. The R-Clip would be subject to the same possible failure. The best solution is to position the either the Spring Retainer Linchpin or the R-Clip where the interaction between the safety cable/chain is minimized or eliminated.

As a side note, my tractor mowing deck has many R-Clips and they are forever disappearing as brush etc, catches and pops them out.

Pictures of the Spring Retainer Linchpin and a R-Clip
Well, I have never read a report of a "hairpin" or an R-clip coming out and causing a run away toad. I've read many reports of a "Spring Retainer Linchpin" coming out and causing problems. Of course I'm talking about RV toads and not farm tractors.

As far as the vandal excuse, I think that's probably a much repeated urban myth that's used as a cover for improperly installed "Spring Retainer Linchpins". But folks are free to use whatever they want.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:33 AM   #32

Bought mine at Farm supply. Bought circular locking lynch pins. 1/16" steel cable and crimps. Tied clips to handle. Always there and less likely to get in a hurry and forget to put in clips. Total about 12.00.
2 cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benalee View Post
My rear view mirror showed someone trying to overtake and pass me very closely. On third look it was my Toad. One side of Blue Ox tow bar had become disconnected, allowing the toad to swing from side to side at 65 mph. All other traffic did not dare to pass while this was happening. This was 2018 new Blue Ox setup. Credit to Blue Ox due to the remaining bar remaining under control. The circle clip on the attachment point to the Toad had left the premises, whether voluntarily or with someones help is undetermined. Lesson learned: I now Positively lock anything that may vibrate or bounce loose or be helped loose by another.
you have to make sure you don't have the lock pin flipped the opposite way it wont snap into place as well and will come loose
dynamaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #34

I had my toad do the same thing, but just as I was coming to a stoplight. All I felt was a bump and when I looked in my mirror, there was my toad. A cheap linch pin had fallen off at some point just before that. Was able to pull over and take a look at the damage. A few scratches on my toad hood and the Readybrake cable was broken, but that was it. Couldn't put in a new cable and didn't want to pull it without brakes, so the wife drove it the remaining six hours home. I now have the new pins with the big red handles and drilled out the pin holes for locks. I also tie dayglo orange safety tape in six inch streamers on each lock that I can see in my rearview camera. I check the view every ten minutes or so to make sure that everything is Ok. I also put tape on the ball hitch lock.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:16 PM   #35

I remember that sinking feeling when something you are towing is suddenly visible in your side mirror. In my case, in college, it was the concrete mixer (towable on two wheels) that started passing my pickup truck after I hit a bump. Passed me and took out a street light pole (dented aluminium pole and caused light lens to fall and shatter). Luckily no one was around to get hurt. Only my great embarrassment and the ticket for unsafe towing. That's the last time I hopped into the shop pickup without checking to see if someone had hooked up the "trailer" correctly.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #36

It's just good "Truck Driving" sense to check your equipment with each and every stop. Nobody is gonna do it for you! Merry Christmas!
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Yes on size. ? on China. Next time I go to Tractor Supply I will try and see if I can figure it out.

I do drill out the hole in the end so either small locks or the Lynch pin will fit.
Found some small Master key locks at Wally World, fit right through the 'pin' hole.
Chiefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Check the farm and ranch stores and yes they have 5/8 inch
My 10,000# Blue Ox base-plate uses 1/2" pins.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #39

In order to be completely safe the safety chains must be attached to the frame of the vehicle being towed (FROG) and the frame of the vehicle doing towing. Frame to frame safety chains will stop this situation. Hooking safety chains from the tow bar to the base plate provides the illusion of safety.
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:30 PM   #40

Not sure if I ordered an accessory kit or if it was part of my blue ox kit but I got lock like receiver locks that lock the bar in the receiver and two for locking the bar to the pins that stick out from the car iirc they use the same key. My problem was I have to bungee my steering wheel to keep it lined up and since everything is electric on a smart car the door lock isn’t always powered by the time I close the door. I pulled in to a CrackerBarrel in ms along i20 and when I was done eating and started to pull out the tad was swerving side to side as I pulled out of the parking lot so I stopped and reconnected it but got 1 turn off and blew a tire down the road and chewed the other up pearty good so I replaced both when I returned home at least I got a spare unmounted tire now for future trips. But it’s wise to monitor your toad after stopping.
Blackey Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #41

I bought a New Blue OX Alpha 7365 in June 2018 for my 2000 Dutchstar
In October one of the pins had lost it's round metal clip. They must be made in CHINA like everything else. I would recommend everyone with one of these clips to at least replace it with a better one right off. I went to TSC Tractor Supply Store for replacement. The new one feels much beefer than the original ones. One recommendation is to have a supply of zip ties on hand. That worked great till I found a replacement pin. AND if I may say I look at my rear camera periodically to see if everything is in place.
Mutant60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:23 PM   #42

Until your car catches fire and you can't get it unlocked fast enough to get it away from motorhome. We now do not lock but check Everytime we stop to make sure no tampering.
Harley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad